Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per the LA Times Mike Memoli @mikememoli (he's a Jersey guy and in their DC office): "Friend in the NYPD says NYC marathon canceled."

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Could those generators be put somewhere to power a shelter for displaced people?

Yes, or any private home or other location. Once transported it would take anywhere from an hour to a day to connect it properly and safely depending on the complexity. Of course these individuals/company/goverment would then have to pay the private company to provide this service as the generators are not owned by the city or the state.

The question I'm curious about is if there is a shortage of generators of this size in the city? There are literally thousands of these things to be had in the US and with the budget you can have lots of them anywhere pretty quickly.

Again... I'm not taking anyone's side in this... I just mean to correct the inaccuracies the media is reporting.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WNBC reporting NYC marathon is cancelled. Better late than never.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konaflyer wrote:
Power13 wrote:
While I personally would not run, I understand those who have paid their cash, done their training and show up to race since the event is going on.

I pretty much agree.

I've been looking forward to this race for 4 years. I'm out a significant chunk of money for airfare and hotel rooms and I'm not going. Due to my job I have the ability to get back there regardless of whether the flights are full (I'm a pilot) but there are other pilots who either live in the NYC area and are trying to get home or have family there they're trying to help. It wouldn't be responsible. Same goes for those traveling for overseas.

Yup it annoys me that I peaked and tapered for a race that's not being held but things could be worse, I'm alive to be annoyed over such a small matter (not being able to run a race). Others were not so fortunate.

I'll be running the Queen K this Sunday instead. Going to do a 1/2 (why beat the crap out of myself when i don't have to). There's always next year (and given how I feel about the NYRR decision on the race it's likely they'll hold the 2013 race without me) if you cancel even at this late date.

Fly over to Charlotte NC on November 17. The Thunder Road Marathon is giving discounted entry to anyone not able to run the NYCM (maybe a lot of people now if the rumor is true that it is cancelled).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree.....NYC is not currently awash in food....far from it. People in Breezy Point, the Rockaways and Staten Island are suffering today. Many have now gone days without a proper meal. People are standing on long lines for gas for their cars or generators. Today a guy pulled a gun on someone for cutting the line. And, be advised the temp is dropping into the low 30s this weekend and that a nor'easter is currently forecast for next week. The fortunate are still without power and the less fortunate had everything they own destroyed and/or lost loved ones.

I think Bloomberg is generally very smart although I dont agree with all his decisions. However, his position here is both indefensible and immoral. Hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers are in shelters, hungry and cold tonight. Their homes are destroyed. Eighteeen people have died on SI alone! Two young children there drowned when their mothers car stalled, the car flooded and they were swept away from their carseats by the rushing water. Bloomberg is literally out of his mind on this issues and has displayed a "bottom line" ruthlessness that is, quite frankly, chilling. Shame on him, Wittenberg, the NYRR and anyone narcissistic enough to run on Sunday. It is a race that is all it is.......And for anyone who does run I hope you are proud of your big accomplishment. Maybe you can show the people in the Rockaways, Breezy and SI your medal.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
WNBC reporting NYC marathon is cancelled. Better late than never.

That seems like the right call.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would Pre do?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
NYC is not awash in food, sorry but that is flat out wrong.
There are 2 huge supermarkets that I shop at in Brooklyn, Fairway and Path Mark, and they are both still closed due to flooding, no I am not starving as there are other smaller stores that are open but you are totally mistaken in that statement.
There are lots of high rise buildings in lower Manhattan that have no running water, no power, no way for the elderly to get up or down to buy food nor anywhere to store food without a working refrigerator, I doubt they will agree that "NYC is awash in food".

As for football, as other have mentioned it isn't the same at all, I don't think anyone has a problem with the game on Sunday.

That's why I said city wide, your Fairway and Pathmark, the high rises in lower Manhattan they're all examples of the distribution problems I also mentioned. I am not gloating and I'm not incorrect when I say there is no noticeable impact on food supply in upper Manhattan where I'm working (with Seamlessweb open and none of my top 20 restaurants closed), or in North Brooklyn where, since Sandy, we've eaten out twice, done a Grocery shop once and are getting a huge Fresh Direct delivery tomorrow. THe Bronx is unaffected as are huge swatches of Queens and Brooklyn. The fact we can't figure out how to get food to those in need is an embarrasment and, potentially, a tragedy but there is no shortage of food city-wide.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
this is a typical ignorant/arrogant triathlete post.

Tell me more about my ignorance...

The right decision has been made.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch, when being "real" goes horribly wrong!!
Delete delete delete.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should delete? And why's that exactly?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [greyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greyguy wrote:
.... Shame on him, Wittenberg, the NYRR and anyone narcissistic enough to run on Sunday. It is a race that is all it is.......And for anyone who does run I hope you are proud of your big accomplishment. Maybe you can show the people in the Rockaways, Breezy and SI your medal.

I don't know. It's a race that generates tens of millions of dollars for the local economy, provides full-time employment for dozens in NYC, part-time employment for scores to hundreds more in NYC, day rates or overtime pay to thousands more in NYC, serves as a goal for tens of thousands of runners (in and out of NYC) - many of whom are running for charity and generating hundreds of thousands of additional dollars for organizations (in and out of NYC). And this doesn't include all the free services and programs that proceeds from the event fund through NYRR (again, in NYC). I don't know if it'd call it "just a race".

Calling any runners who decided to run it "narcissistic" is a bit extreme too.

Last edited by: sweeneytoad: Nov 2, 12 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he was saying you should delete, he was commenting on the fact that the person who posted about someone being ignorant arrogant triathlete probably wishes they had deleted.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CANCELLED!!!

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep hearing about contingency plans are in place. I wonder if an alt. route was ever truly considered.

At packet pick the news was trending positive with breaking news that the ferry service was back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not you, referring to mag00.

Bad Dave chappelle reference too.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [sweeneytoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to agree. Runners have every right to be pissed off and vent their frustrations. Same goes for those that feel it should be cancelled. Unfortunately it's a lose-lose situation, and whether the facts are intact about coulda, woulda, shoulda, the public perception is vital now in the middle of this crisis. The race is viewed as something for the wealthy or elitists. No reason to give the image that the runners and public officers are plowing ahead with a non-essential activity when others are suffering.

I do feel badly for both sides of the debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are really polarized on this one - I think if I lived enroute and the marathon actually affected me or my life personally by adding another layer of stress or hardship - then I get why they would cancel it. On the other hand - it would have been a great opportunity to showcase the resiliance and fight of the city and also used the publicity to raise awareness of the devastation and potential call for assitance and help. Like others - the right call should have been made days ago - and saved everyone travel headaches. Bummer all round. Best regards to all those impacted.

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri4balance wrote:
On the other hand - it would have been a great opportunity to showcase the resiliance and fight of the city and also used the publicity to raise awareness of the devastation and potential call for assitance and help.

Just to play devil's advocate: couldn't the idea of that showing the "resilience and fight of the city" also give people the sense that things are better than they are? I remember reading somewhere that donations to New Orleans dropped of significantly after the first Saints game at the Superdome. Perhaps you run the risk of the same thing happening here: people see that the race is on, so therefore things must be under control.

Again, just playing devil's advocate (although I do agree with the decision to cancel).

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you - coverage of the race would have to be respectful and tasteful and spun carefully. I have been super busy at work and havent followed how bad things are down there - but when I heard the race was on - I thought - it cant be that bad. Now thats its cancelled - I think - it must be pretty bad.

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just like to point out that mag900 is salty as shit right now.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply

Prev Next