Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will GPS break on older devices after 4/6/2019?
Quote | Reply
According to this homeland security memo and this alarmist article. Seems like there's a 10-bit integer value used in storing the week value. If devices aren't coded to properly handle this, they will have at the very least incorrect date after 4/6/2019. Given how important timing is to GPS, I can see how it could break all GPS functionality worst case.

This quote has me worried about Garmin Forerunner 310XT / Edge 500 era receivers. I still have a 310XT that gets used very occasionally (usually have it on my MTB).

Quote:
Fortunately, devices on sale now should be prepared for this rollover and handle it gracefully. GPS.gov says (PDF) receivers that follow the ICD-200/IS-GPS-200 specification will be able to deal with the week number overflow. This basically means newer receivers built after, say, 2010 should be fine, provided they follow the specs and notice the rollover.
Can anyone with more technical knowledge of GPS shine a light here? Is this just a typical The Register alarmist article? Do we need to be worried?
Quote Reply
Re: Will GPS break on older devices after 4/6/2019? [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y2K writ small - https://www.britannica.com/technology/Y2K-bug

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply