Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Will 1 run kill my future in sport?
Quote | Reply
Hi, my roomate and I have thought up a huge challenge, and I need your input on whether or not we will permanently be injuring our bodies.

First off, I am 19, he is 18, and we are both running the Detroit marathon in 3 weeks time. We have been training a lot for it and are in fairly good running shape. The idea we have come up with is to run home from our school 2 weekends after the marathon. It is approximatley 113 miles from our college to my house. Right now I figure 2 weeks will be a good recovery time after the marathon, and if we run 9 minute pace it will take us approximatley 17.5 hours to run the 113 miles.

My question is whether or not you think we will be seriously hurting our bodies. I am competing in Ironman Wisconson next year and hope to be in Hawaii in 2007; will this effect my performance next year?

S.T. probably isn't the place to ask about this, but I'm just curious as to what you guys think. I am also going to talk to my chiropracter and get his input.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [cortland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL... a bit dumb if you ask me... almost as dumb as racing an IM at 20 yo.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think you can run 9min pace for 113 miles, eh? You must be smokin some potent stuff at that college...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a bad idea.

first, it takes longer than 2 weeks for your body to fully recover from a marathon.

second, ramping up to a 100+ mile run, having done nothing longer than 26 will be much more pounding than your body can handle. While you probably won't do permanent damage, it can definately mess you up for a few months time. This could potentially cut into the training for your IMs.

just my two cents.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offence but why would you want to do it in the first place??? Is the risk of permanent damadge [mentaly or physicaly] worth the return ???

My suggestion is if you really want to do that kind of mileage....get a bike!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [6cuda6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I just think it would be an awsome challenge and quite an accomplishment. Yeah 9 minutes miles is probably a little ambishus, I'm not sure. I did the same route we would be taking last winter on my bike. I went there, then came back the next day, so I know the route pretty well. I don't know I just like to see how far I can push myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes i agree, it would be quite the accomplishement and challenge but i think i would save that one for when i was being paid to take the risk.....

Have you given any thought to what kind of hydration and calorie intake your going to need?? and how to supply it, as your not going to want to carry it....

Don't get me wrong...more power to you if you can pull this off......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to see how far you can push yourself? Try to go under 1:55 for an OD.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would not think it would affect IM WI close to a year from now, most likely.

most likely you will be going along, and then something will start hurting so much you will have to stop. after you rest back up it'll be fine, in all likelyhood and you can toast your buddy and reminice about it for years - that time you foolhardily triied to run from college to home like a dumbass.

i always thought that is the sort of thing that you are supposed to be doing at your age.

it sounds like an epic thing to do, like maybe riding a 24 hour mtn bike solo on a rigid singlespeed. even if ya get a small injury who cares, you are young and it'll mostly heal and it is not as if you are ruining your chances for making the olympics or anything. just bust out and go try it and go down in flames or run to glory. do it in a pink bunny suit. anything would be better than say, sitting home instead planning some anal optimal training plan for a race almost a year away. fuck it boy, go run !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah right sure you are going to do that. Go for it, kids, and tell us the tale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will 1 run kill my future in sport?

No, probably not long term. However, it will affect your short term future big time. There will be no aerobic benefits and there is a very good chance of getting injured. Even if you dont get hurt directly from the run, you will have beaten up your body so much that youll be forced to take a long amount of time off.

Also, you should look at ultramarathon results before embarking. I serioulsy doubt you'll be able to cover the distance that quick, even if you are a 2:30 marathoner. The best in the business take 17+ hours to cover 100 miles, and you will be going considerably farther and without the training they put in. I'd think 30-40 hours would be a more realistic finishing time. Just something to think about...

I'd say just ride your bike home. This is still a bit of a journey, will be a lot more fun, and would not lead to the onslaught of injuries you're sure to receive from running that far.

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Last edited by: qcassidy: Oct 1, 05 21:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad idea man. The amount of shock your body will go through with something like that is substantial. You say it probably won't affect Ironman Wisconsin next year? Bro, I did IM Wisconsin 2 years ago on my 21st birthday. It's not that the run will affect your race, but it will surely affect the first few months when you should be training but will be laid up in bed with bags of ice on your jacked up joints. It's just too risky. Keep your sights set on Ironman, and look to your longest training workouts as your "crazy" training. Best of luck in your marathon, and be well.
Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you will not kill your future because after 20 miles you will be thumbing a ride. I guarantee it. Write this down, put money on it. You don't have a slim chance of succeeding - you have NO chance. None, nada nothing nill zero cero zip.

By the way, you have no hope of running 50 miles at a 9 minute pace even if you skip the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to check out this site:

http://www.ultrunr.com

Obviously here all you will get are naysayers. I say go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing but spoilsports around here. We're all too old to say yes. We've all done really crazy stupid things like this and remember how much it hurt and how we nearly killed ourselves...

but you know what...

we all survived and are here spouting inconsequential blather...

go for it. You'll either succeed or fail. Either way you'll have learned a lot. 9 min mile avg IS unrealistic...but getting A to B...well...let us know...
Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A sub 1:55 OD Triathlon is no more of a challenge to some triathletes than taking a bath.

Some people are genetically endowed to go fast others look for better and more rewarding challenges, say and ultraman or RAAM or even like being dumb enough to think you can run 113 miles at 9 m/m pace on your first attempt.

Whatever, each to their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adolescent brains often show a tendency toward irrational behavior, especially as related to Risk/Reward ratio. Make sure the risks aren't too high for your hoped reward (and realize your reward, should you happen to succeed, is entirely psychological; i.e., this is not a physically-rewarding activity). As far as trying something that also has a chance of being physically rewarding, as well as a psychological reward, and with much less risk, talk to an accomplished coach about an ambitious training plan that is more balanced. The coach can help design a program that is appropriate for your age and condition.

Or, just act like a couple of crazy kids and go for it.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have a few dissapointments ahead of you...first not making your 113 mile run at even 20 min/mile pace...second not qualifying for IM Hawaii.

I used to be that stupid a few years ago...it only took me a DNF at age 20 in my first IM attempt to realize that Ironman is not something you should be making a prediction about before you have ever attempted one.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Last edited by: BIGZACH: Oct 2, 05 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why tell me this? I do not think about failure instead I focus on what I can achieve. I went 4.43 in my first half this year and all I had was a bottle of gatorade and water the entire time and it was on a tough course. I know what it takes to do this kind of stuff. I don't think about not getting to Hawaii and not being able to run home, I think about how awsome it's going to be when I do accomplish these things, and I'll accomplish them through hard work and determination.

Why can't I have goals? I don't get anywhere without goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We're in fairly good running shape"

To run 113 miles straight you better be in better than "fairly good" shape. Have you ever run a marathon? Do you know the pain you will be in after that race? If you average 15min miles I would be amazed. (28hours) This will be your longest run by almost 90miles. If you really want to do it, take 3-4 days and campout along the way. Do you have a nutrion hydration plan? How are you getting food? Be prepared to not be able to walk for a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you know, a marathon is way more painful than a 1/2 IM. You are working the exact same muscles the whole time instead of 3 sets of muscles. If really want to do it, go ahead. But don't do it out of spite for us naysayes.
Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, yeah I've done two marathons thus far, Detroit being my third. Trust me, I know what finishing a marathon feels like and trust me it hurts if you run them hard. So does a half marathon though for that matter or a 10 mile, it all depends on how fast I run them. If I go 6.40 minute miles in a marathon, that doesn't mean I'll be running anywhere near that fast for 113. I think I'd feel quite fresh after 26 at 9 minute pace. My roomate's dadis a x-ultra marathoner, he has completed several and we think he will be able to give us support (bars, drinks, food, vaseline) along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's your marathon PB?

-

Quote Reply
Re: Will 1 run kill my future in sport? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year detroit I went 3.04.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"ambishus"- dude, what college are you attending?

As to your idea- I am all about extreme challenges- but this one may be a bit much. Run the Freep and race it hard- then take a break and begin concentrating for Wisconsin after christmas.

I'll see you at Freep- great marathon
Last edited by: deeg: Oct 2, 05 9:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next