Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower yes or no
Quote | Reply
I have always wanted to do Wildflower, but never have. This year I also decided not to enter since I was injured and it was too busy to train. but now somebody has offered me a comp spot, and given how hard it is to get into the race, I am starting to think that maybe I should go.

My question to experienced Wildflowerites is:

If I start training now, and can put in two swims, two long runs and two long rides a week and nothing else, is this race doable? As for my background, I have not trained at all these past six months (aside from two runs at FIST), but my general fitness is OK. My swim is very poor (hence the two swims per week), my bike can get up to speed in three weeks and the run is mostly about avoiding injury for me.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower yes or no [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olympic or long course?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower yes or no [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, long course

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your question, yes, the race is "DOABLE." Don't show up race morning thinking you're going to win (even your age group), but I'd go if I were you. The whole experience is challenging, but a blast. If you're doing the half, I'll hang out with you at the back :-)

-gc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not go do it just to have fun? [check your email]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely do it - just make sure your training includes runnning up & DOWN hills.

"It is better to just strike a straight blow with a crooked stick than to spend your whole life trying to straighten the damn thing out!" (Bill Oncken)
Quote Reply
Stop being an engineer for just a second. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard, you're being too practical. You've been comped an entry to Wildflower! Go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Stop being an engineer for just a second. [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm in. BTW Ariel, awesome picture you have on your website. Where is that?

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Stop being an engineer for just a second. [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The danger for you will be going to hard on the bike and dying on the run. Your strong bike background will help you a great deal. However you should really temper yourself on the bike this year. Gear it down and don't blast Nasty Grade. Try and come in fresh for the run. I overgeared last year (my 1st WFLC) and really paid for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop being an engineer for just a second. [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's the view from Trail Crest on the Mt. Whitney trail. I was looking west over Sequoia National Park from an elevation of about 13,700 feet. There was a massive forest fire raging about 50 miles away and that brown layer in the sky is smoke.
Quote Reply