Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower long course redux mini review-report
Quote | Reply
Wildflower long course returned in 2018, I had done it before in 2006, 2007 and 2009, have also done the mountain bike and then the Oly in 2013.

Crowd - We ended up camping in the back of Redondo Vista loop E so we were off the main road. Seemed to me a bit less crowded than before but hard to tell from where we were. They sold out the long course but no idea about the other distances.

Start times - pros went at 8, meaning some of us (me) went at almost 9. It's nice to sleep in a bit, but starting at 7 would have made a difference on the run, weather wise. WF has always been a late start though, and the Oly is even worse.

Swim - LC swim looked short from the ramp, but the shape was quite different than before due to low water levels. Times seemed to be pretty spot on though, and those that swam with garmins had it maybe slightly long at 2200 ish. First buoy was also a dogleg from the left launch ramp. Used to be you lined up right along the right ramp for a straight shot. Now you had the line up on the left and then turn left out of the dock. Got pretty crowded around the buoys and halfway through, as I started 2d from last wave. Overall a clean swim.

But due to the level the run up the ramp was really, really long. And painful. Made for long T1 times

Bike - A little short at 54 ish miles, but same course as always. Somebody posted here that the road conditions were bad, and pavement on Lakeshore sucked but I assume it doesn't get a lot of maintenance. But after that, I started wondering what the fuss was about because it was really quite good for the first half.

Until Mile 28, then holy hell, when the cobblestones started. or at least felt like it. I also learned that they weren't screwing down the hand off bottles there, when I reached back and grabbed it from BTS, bottle was there but the top was gone and all the water had been shaken out. Really, really awful for about 10 miles or a little more, almost to the right turn on Nacimiento (there was one sweet 100 yard section of smooth, then back to the teeth shattering).

Hills - they left them all where they were before. First 6 miles are tough, last 15 miles are tough, middle bits are actually pretty easy (other than the road condition, 20-30 minutes of that really takes it out of you). Lots of people hammering up Beach Hill early on at mile 2 of the ride. A few folks walking Nasty. The big downhill after Nasty still scares the shit out of me. I was going 40 and a couple guys flew past in aero. And just when you think you are done there are a couple more climbs waiting for you after the turn into the park. Wind - had very little wind to speak of. Heat - Heat managed to stay away for almost all of the ride and temp was comfortable, even going up Nasty Grade near the end, was warm but not bad at all. I wore de soto cooling sleeves and a cooling cap, and would squirt water through the vents when it got toasty.

Lots and lots of aid stations, I think 7, all seemingly well stocked and good volunteers. Although the road was open had minimal traffic to speak of. Thought a bit of IM Texas as I turned onto Interlake Road, people in a long line but honestly didn't see any intentional drafting save two guys in matching kits about 5 miles from the finish, and one girl on a road bike in a Tribe kit that came by on someone's wheel.

Run - This did start go get very hot, and my only complaint about the race in general was no ice in any aid station. Would have been great, especially on a day like that. Didn't need to be all, just a few, and there are some that have road access so it could be done. Some water and gatorade was cold, some not so much. But with 12 or 13 aid stations it was manageable (and carried a hand bottle).

You get one free mile on the long course without any hills, then every mile after that has some sort of hill or another to kick your ass, culminating in the climb to mile 5, then a steep down to 6. By mile 6 you feel like you've been running for 10 miles and at least for me very hard to get any rhythm going until this point. It gets easier after that. Run through Redondo Vista is the highlight as always and the shot in the arm you need after coming out of the hills, and before you drop into the Pit.

Speaking of which, the Pit was not as bad as I remember, but we had a headwind going down, meaning a scorcher coming up. Walked two sections twice, as well as the last little bump just before the quad killing last mile run down Lynch. 12.8 miles, so also short, but also same course as always. Guess they could move the bottom of the pit further down but glad they didn't

Overall, still give the race an A-, and only due to the lack of ice on the run, and no cold water that I could find at the end.
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 7, 18 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris,

Great write-up. You are so right about Jolon road. Years ago we even rode the white line to in a desperate attempt to find something smoother but I think that's even crumbled now. That segment is hard on the body and on the spirit.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your experience pretty much mirrored mine. I think my bike miles were a little closer to 56 on my garmin, but everything else you said sounds exactly like my experience. That's a hard course, the only 70.3's I've done that are harder are Auburn last year (before they neutered the course) and maybe June Lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you posted about the rough road I think, and I really was wondering if you were just whining about the few potholes on Interlake :P But then I knew you spoke the truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All spot-on. Bike: Jolon Rd was cobbles - destroyed my back, most of the water bottles were half full, and loose lids. Run: only water (warm later stations) and gatorade most stations, some had bananas and oranges, but no coke, redbull, anything else. And no ice was a killer. My wave started at 8:55a - crazy in that heat. They should have sent the pros off at 645am, not 8.

But yeah, it was a cool event :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good recap, but I have to disagree a bit. there were at least two 100 yard sections of smooth pavement on that backside. don't sell it short. it took me three bottles to realize that the tops were not on tight. kept wondering where the water was coming from. mind wasn't quite working right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent write-up!

I would add - walking out of the transition down the GD boat ramp in bare feet was torture! In the past I think it was better cleared and at times there were even mats down.

The swim was awesome and it was cool that they had buoys at every 200 yards; made it easy to mentally pick things off; ended up with a PR swim after 13 attempts.

And you are spot on about mile 28. I had foolishly thought I was fit enough to do "the double" and maybe even break 5 hours. Those thoughts evaporated when my glutes started screaming "on the cobbles". I clearly didn't have enough base training in the aero bars. Went about 5 mins slower than average.
This meant that the run suffered as the glutes were shredded as the heat came on. But the aid stations were awesome (even w/o ice) and loved the oranges and bananas as well.

WF is just a reminder that you have to be *really* fit to race it well. Otherwise it becomes more about finishing than racing - and that's ok.
Pretty much the triathlon highlight of the year, every year.

My only gripe with the race organization is you can't easily download race results w/splits by age group.
Last edited by: twain: May 7, 18 14:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write-up Chris.

Same experience here. The road was brutal in places and, for what it’s worth, I had the bike right on 55 miles and the run at 12.8.

It was my first time on the long course (Olympic in 2013, 2014, and 2015) and I underappreciated how tough the run is. The ‘80% of FTP' guideline was too much and I didn’t have the legs off the bike. Thrown in some cramping and it made for a long run/walk. Live and learn.

Great event, though, and very glad to see it back on the schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing - in the 50-54 AG, wow, drafting was blatant. I was 2nd out of the water. On the downhill out of the park on the bike, 3 others in the AG came blowing by on the downhill. I caught them on the uphill and moved out in front. They just took off together, taking turns at the front. It was so friggin' blatant. I refused to participate.
Sadly, only reeled in 1 that I know of on the run.

I didn't see any race marshals at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
One more thing - in the 50-54 AG, wow, drafting was blatant. I was 2nd out of the water. On the downhill out of the park on the bike, 3 others in the AG came blowing by on the downhill. I caught them on the uphill and moved out in front. They just took off together, taking turns at the front. It was so friggin' blatant. I refused to participate.

That's interesting, same AG, I was a couple minutes behind you probably at 31 and change. I saw I think 3 or 4 marshals, and didn't see much drafting a little further back other than the two noted above.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [chasb533533] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my race strategy was not to make 6-13 a sufferfest walking, been there done that. I actually ended up passing a few folks in miles 9-13 that had run away from me early in the hills (not that I am by any stretch fast). I looked at a couple strava files, and more than a few people running the first couple miles in 8s or low 9s, and the last 4 or 5 in the 13s (on easier terrain)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminded me, I definitely went down and soaked in the lake for a good half hour probably.

But I ain't drinking it :P I had to substitute Firestone Lager for the water.

And at 196# this is not the course for me LOL
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 7, 18 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were all you guys pretty happy with it? i felt like the weather was pretty good. a little warmish, but it's been hotter for sure. cool at night. i ran the furnace at night and the AC during the afternoon, and no wind to speak of. cool water. busy, but not crowded. a pretty good year, i thought.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Wildflower for the first time this past Saturday (Long Course).

Just incredible!!! The signage has "Wildflower Experience" all over it, and that's really what it is, more than a race.

Got to meet Slowman at his booth, very chill guy, and just happy to be around the positive vibe people that were there. When he was unloading the Trisports inventory, he asked "what's a fair price" on almost any item. It seemed that no reasonable offer was refused.

The pavement on certain parts is less than desired, but that all adds to the toughness to this particular event.

Other than Kona and 70.3 Worlds in a desirable place, I would gladly go back to this event without question. And will continue to participate in it for the unforeseen future.

I would suggest the following changes.

1. At the aid stations, I received some water bottles that had a shot of water in them at all, just ensure that they are 50% full, especially on that warm of a day. But all were well manned.
2. Finish line booth, the post race food consisted of bananas, oranges, string cheese and those Chinese take out boxes of broccoli. There was no lick of protein, and after a course that would be considered "difficult" protein recovery drink or a BCAA drink at the least would be vital.
3. I'll probably receive backlash for this, but honestly make it a self-seeded swim start. The fast people are typically fast at most all disciplines, and I had to go through numerous age groups, that had no regard for the rules, consistently riding 3-4 abreast, and just generally not following general safety rules. Or there was the people at an aid station that literally can't grab a bottle, and stop (a complete stop) in front of you nearly causing accidents.

I get it that some are there to "race" and others are there to participate, but all are there for fun, and endangering other competitors safety (slower athletes ahead of the faster ones) does endanger the safety of the faster athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
were all you guys pretty happy with it? i felt like the weather was pretty good. a little warmish, but it's been hotter for sure. cool at night. i ran the furnace at night and the AC during the afternoon, and no wind to speak of. cool water. busy, but not crowded. a pretty good year, i thought.

Forgot, also got to meet Dan... how could I forget???

I very much enjoyed it. Not sure if Terry is still involved or who is RDing but thought they did a fine job of carrying the tradition forward. It was hot, but not as hot I was thought it was going to be and overall conditions were pretty favorable I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Forgot, also got to meet Dan... how could I forget???

I very much enjoyed it. Not sure if Terry is still involved or who is RDing but thought they did a fine job of carrying the tradition forward. It was hot, but not as hot I was thought it was going to be and overall conditions were pretty favorable I thought.

terry was there. he's still running the show, tho for motiv. there were north of 5,000 triathletes, compared to 2,200 in 2016, the last year it was held, and the high point since probably 2008.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good take, I agree with everything you said about the course. That one section, about mile 20-35 I think was literally like cobblers it was insane. Run was brutal, ended up being like a really fast hike for me.

I've really got to give it to the RD and volunteers. So many great volunteers, most of which are Cal Poly SLO kids I think. They did a great job.

The way they branded the race weekend as a "Experience" was great too. From the expo, vendors, music, booze, etc, really terrific weekend.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Last edited by: TriSpencer: May 7, 18 21:00
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower long course redux mini review-report [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

TM...
Nice race, I'm glad you're not in my AG, yet :-|

Sorry about the drafting. I saw only honest clean racing. I got a little "boxed in" w/ a truck, lucky for me a "moto" was right next to me and I made a shrug my shoulders gesture - but the truck was gone in a few seconds anyway, but there was a line of riders that I had to pass, turned out to be no problem. This all was about 5 miles before Nasty. then at the top the same moto was there again watching - though, not much to see because the spacing was decent between folks.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt I would do the 70.3 again, unless the organizer does: 1. earlier start to get out of the heat, 2. get serious about supporting the course with large water bottles, ice, coke, fuel, etc. 3. better post-race water/ice, recovery drinks, fuel, 4. some attention to patching/repaving Beach and Jolon (i know, not really in RD's control).

I vote for an overall AG self seeded swim start; even with the 5 min wave gaps, it was crowded out there, coming from M50-54.

On the bike - I did not see or participate in any blatant drafting; there were several guys around me and we all worked to maintain gaps and play it pretty fair. I did see a couple officials on moto - later in the bike.

I spent about 2hrs in medical post-race, and I was not alone in there. Too hot on run, and not enough on-course support products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was happy to see the race again. It was my 23rd WF LC coming from New Jersey. I am so happy for Terry to have this back and in such great shape and participation numbers. Only improvements I have mentioned for years:
Start earlier ( I am in the old guys wave now with a 9AM start)
Add coke for the run.

Terry and all congrats on another fine weekend....
Quote Reply