Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wife Beater, Wife, Trouble
Quote | Reply
OK anyone else get in trouble after Dan's article for running around the house gee geeing about their wife beater!?

I actually got it on two fronts:

First is the obvious, and to grow up, etc.

The second is that my lovely bride is a textile scientist. In fact she has several patents for cold weather gear and was once upon a time product manager for Tactil, and maybe supplex too (got to hang out with the likes of Tinley and Clint Eastwood (skier)). She says that the I am crazy wearing cotton fibers next to the body when the "engineered" materials are so much better, plus they don't get me in trouble.

Dan, continued thanks for helping to keep my life exciting!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Wife Beater, Wife, Trouble [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think she's right on the second point (about the fabrics that is...).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wife Beater, Wife, Trouble [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one ought to keep in mind the overall theme of the article, which is to do what one does on the cheap. yes, i certainly do believe in wicking fabrics, etc., and i include that in the mix. balancing that, tho, is my belief in not PAYING for those fabrics, at least insofar as what the MSRP is for many of those garments. luckily, others believe as i do and one can frequently pick those garments up off-season for the prices they ought to cost.

don't get me wrong. nobody works for free. people ought to be compensated for their inventions, and the execution of a good product. but as a former manufacturer, i also realize that some people, and some companies, are just stubborn. they choose to manufacture their garment products in south carolina instead of south vietnam and, well, you can't blame me if i choose to believe a cut & sew operation ought to be accomplished where the market dictates.

my preference would be to buy a space-aged wicking, thermoregulatory wife beater made in bangladesh for $8. the wife makes her royalty of $.25 on every yard sold, the WTO sanctions india for knocking off the wife's patented invention--and pays her part of the fine collected--and i ride my bike happily and comfortably.

but until my wicking wife beater from the far east comes onto the market for a realistic price i'll have to ride polyester, unwicked.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Wife Beater, Wife, Trouble [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

the wife makes her royalty of $.25 on every yard sold, the WTO sanctions india for knocking off the wife's patented invention--and pays her part of the fine collected--and i ride my bike happily and comfortably.

but until my wicking wife beater from the far east comes onto the market for a realistic price i'll have to ride polyester, unwicked.

Dan,

Unfortunately, one of those big not far east companies with high prices owns the rights to the patents my wife received while in their employ; so, we get no residual quarters, but do have some nice plaques to hang on the wall (do nothing to keep me warm).

FYI - I was a good boy and got a little in house wicked wife beater swag for my birthday. How's that for a good day!?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply