Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triathlete36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 --- And where did I say in my ORIGINAL message that I was faster than everybody?? Once again the original message has been misquoted and paraphrased to fit your own opinion.. ---

Are you in denial ?

First, you called anybody that does not place in their age group poseurs if they have 3000$ bikes (your original post).

Then, you mentioned that you have in fact a 3000$ bike.

Then, you HAD to tell us about your racing credentials (as high as 4th overall).

Sorry, but you fit very well in the category I described in a previous post, that is: 'fast age groupers that think that all athletes faster than themselves are studs and all athletes slower than themselves are lame and, of course, poseurs if they happen to have nice bikes'.

I don't know you, but if I had to bet, I would place my money on the fact that you are in fact part of the asshole group overepresented in the fast age groupers.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And I think if people worried more about someone else's lives and less about their own, it would be a much better world. "

Damn dude I wish I could be I could be just as judgemental and self important as you.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I think that's the best idea I've seen in this thread so far. Don't use a wood that's too expensive though.
Mahogany out
Pine in
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't even thought of that. Screw carbon fiber, my bike is made out of English Walnut Burl and the saddle is Corinthian leather.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [sry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think we're on to something. I don't think you could use solid wood though. It would have to be some type of a plywood lamination. But since I'm not fast, it would have to be construction grade plywood.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheap fiberboard more likely. Used as underlayment for floors.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, how about sheetrock?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just don't sweat on it...or are you good enough to be allowed to sweat?
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I can sweat, I just can't do it while wearing any "technical fibers". Stop by and say hello to me at your next race. I'll be the guy wearing grey sweats with the red, white, and blue headband...dying of heatstroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my first triathlon, and have gone through the "I'm really slow but wouldn't it be cool if I could afford one of those" drooling at the LBS. I'm more a biker than the other two sports and so don't feel "out geared" on my relatively bargain basement $1250 Giant TCR 2. I do, however, sometimes feel like a poser in a $15 pair of goggles. I am not against investing in a new toy, however. I feel that having slightly higher end gear than purhaps is necessary at my current level only serves two purposes. 1) It is DAMN fun to hammer off 50 miles on my bike, and there is no way I would ever wake myself up on Saturdays after a full night of college drinking if I had an old Huffy waiting for me. 2) It drives me to train harder so I'm not the one on the nice bike being dropped by the person on said Huffy.

That said I guess what I would say to those who look down on the people that have more gear than they need is this; take a minute to encourage them, tell them they have a sweet bike and you hope to see them when your out on your rides. Most likely they'll become excited and ready to log some more serious miles and will eventually grow into their bike. In any case I'm sure they have just as much fun cruising along at 15mph as you do at 27. So relax and let them enjoy a sweet bike.

"If ginseng really does aid in mental clarity, we're encouraging Brit to drink up." -E! Online
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [new2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half the fun of any hobby is the gear (please refer to my earlier post regarding woodworking tools). If gear doesn't do it for you, then great. But if it does, so much the better.

If you become so elitist as to resent others for their toys, perhaps you need to find a different hobby. As someone else mentioned, the only reason there is good gear for the few elite athletes to buy is because of the weekend warrior the has the disposable cash to fund the bulk of the industry.

Ask Slowman who his bread and butter customers were a QR. Ask Tom D. what kind of customer keeps his lights on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both sheetrock and particle board are good ideas. No fair putting fancy finishes on it though. Spray paint
Or crayon
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [sry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little Krylon might work. If I don't use some kind of finish the sweat dripping from my cotton clothing would cause both sheetrock and particle board to fall apart. That would make for quite an interesting bike split though.
Quote Reply
Posers are Vain! That's why.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Becasue they feel some sort of dominance with the upscale equipment versus actual performance results. They want to be NOTICED. Posers are vain. That bothers me.

But I also find them comical. There are certainly a bunch of strange folk in this sport. What bothers me is when people prance around in their tri uniform or speedo several hours AFTER the race is done. Of course, this is their choice, but by all means, put some clothes on. Unless of course, it is a hot girl wearing a two peice bikini...:-)
Quote Reply
Re: So many Arseholes, so few bullets. [triathlete36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're certain that's what you ment, no offense taken...

"I'm single, I can take chances. When in doubt I put on a coat when performing a slipindictomy!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triathlete36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well this is my 20th year of doing at least 5 races or more a year (I'm 37). Things have not changed in the last 20 years. Why is it people insist on buying $3000 bikes, wear $100 sunglass, swim in $400 wetsuits but can't place in their age group or even the top half of a race overall?? I'm sure triathlon is not the only sport where this occurs but seems most noticeable here. You see them at every race, riding around before the race like their great or just trying to get noticed.. I'm not saying you have to place so high to buy expensive stuff but it's like playing golf a few times a year and buying a $2000 set of clubs... Rant over...

"I'm single, I can take chances. When in doubt I put on a coat when performing a slipindictomy!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Special K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people who complain about others who have nicer equipment are simply jealous. It's been that way forever. So, they put them down by saying they think they're great, or are just showing off. Some people can simply afford to spend more money on things. If they love triathlon why shouldn't they get nice stuff? It's class envy plain and simple.

The people who annoy me are the back of the packers who are constantly giving "advice" on all the comments pages and other forums. They'll detail their pre-race and race nutrition, bike training, etc. while never mentioning they normally do a 15 or 16 hr IM. I'm not saying these people don't belong in the sport though. There's room for all of us. I just don't think people who normally finish in the back of the pack should be giving advice on what "works" for them, unless they clearly state what sort of times they're getting in their races.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triwz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I just don't think people who normally finish in the back of the pack should be giving advice on what "works" for them, unless they clearly state what sort of times they're getting in their races."

I would have to disagree with you. Obviously they aren't coaching the top pros but consider if they are coaching someone who wants to do an IM for the first time and is only concerned about finishing. Such people could be an invaluable source info for a newbie since they've already accomplished what the other person wants to do..

Also consider that being a great athlete and and great coach don't necessarily go hand in hand. There are some great coaches that could barely play the sports they coached and other great athletes that flopped badly when they became coaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you get into triathlon/duathlon and you need to buy a bike, why not go top of the line? It makes more sense than buying a cheap bike and replacing it after a year or two. And with any gear, if I had it to do over, I would buy the top of the line stuff from the beginning. Maybe then I wouldn't have had 4 trainer bikes. On the flip side, I waited to see if I would like triathlon and improve before buying expensive stuff. It's a waste to fork over $3000+ for a bike that collects dust in the garage.

I didn't get upset with this post, I usally place very well at races (lot's of medals in the 30-34 AG). But if I was a MOP'er or BOP'er, I would be upset at the comments. What upsets me are the amount of people who enter a race and don't RACE. They are happy to just be there? Why enter a race if you are not going to compete to the best of your ability. I don't get this and I know others disagree. I in no way think that slow people suck. I have great admiration for those that give it their all only to finish well after the rest of us.

You guys have one thing wrong. Some of you have said that the slower people lack training. Maybe, maybe not. Being fast is a gift. Some people I know train a lot and they still are slow. What is a lot? Depends on who you are talking to.

Olen
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only read a couple of posts, so sorry if this is repeated....but whomever started this thread is a f%$#ing moron! The fact that we participate in a very EXPENSIVE hobby creates the so-called "posers" in the first place! Let's see....an entry fee @ $50, an entry level tri-bike @ $1200, race wheels @ $800, a pair of tri shoes @ $100, A pair of running shoes @ $75,.......I could go on all day.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wholeheartedly agree that someone can be a good coach yet not be really good at the particular sport. That said, I think people need to know what they're getting when they get advice. I guarantee you that many slower people who give advice have not "studied" the sport. They basically just finish races, which is totally fine. However, if someone is looking to go sub-11 or whatever it would be very nice if the person giving the advice said something like "well, my IM finish times are around 15 hours, but I've found drinking Ensure during the bike helpful" or whatever. Also, I'm sure some of the "blame" would be on the person who would blindly take advice from some unknown person on a comments page or forum. To be clear, I'm not against people giving advice. I just think they should let people know what they're basing their advice on. Certainly no offense intended at anyone or group.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triwz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why so many in triathlons? B/c they aren't fast enough for duathlons.

just kidding, duathlons have posers as well

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trouble with sports is athletes.

Just a thought .

Dirtball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy, I think we've found our first CO-Jackasses of the week...Triathlete36 AND Casey.

Vote them in now. They're perfect.
Quote Reply

Prev Next