Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo?
Quote | Reply
The Favero’s are at least $150 cheaper. I can’t see the advantage of the vector 3 pedals. Tell me what I’m missing.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no reason except, 1. you want to buy an inferior product. or 2. you are living in the Garmin Ecosystem.

I love my assioma pedals!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on loving the assioma. My first PM, but loving it so far and it's been hassle/headache free.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x4. Love my Favero Assioma's and there is literally no reason you should buy any other power based pedals over them. I also love the travel shutdown feature. I've had batteries go dead during travel for many other different power meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i owned two pair of vector 3s (dual sided), had issues with both.

went to the faveros, freaking love them. if nothing else the induction charging tech versus changing out batteries? its 2019, the vectors are behind the times with that.

dont even mess with the vectors.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my Vector 3 on a Black Friday sale (they were half off which made it a no brainer). Unless you have a really big issue with the look of the pods then by the Favero's. From what I have read they constantly update their firmware (which Garmin has been accused of doing) and the price can't be beaten. Oh and they accurately measure power with oval chain rings (unlike the Vectors). So its a win-win-win.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
x4. Love my Favero Assioma's and there is literally no reason you should buy any other power based pedals over them. I also love the travel shutdown feature. I've had batteries go dead during travel for many other different power meters.

Glad to hear it!

I’m headed for a new power meter soon and it seems like the obvious choice (mainly the ease of switching between bikes).

Glad to read the positive reviews.

Can anyone think of any negatives?

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had mostly decided on the favero’s but just wanted to ask here in case there was something obvious I was missing.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:

Glad to hear it!

I’m headed for a new power meter soon and it seems like the obvious choice (mainly the ease of switching between bikes).

I have a Quarq, 2 PT, a stages, and the Faveros. I had The Vector 2

The Faveros are amazing. The Quarq and PTs are calibrated against a known weight and the FAvero tracks perfectly to them. I rode them all winter indoor and charged them once.

The only unknown for me is if they ever need service. PT. Quarq and Garmim have always been amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a bit of a wrench in the works:

https://www.iqsquare.com

These guys from Amsterdam went from a crank arm-based power meter (for 124 Euros) to the pedal based after they couldn't figure out how to manage screw tension in the crank arm-based system.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I saw dcrainmaker talk about that. I definitely don’t want to go with a first go round on a product
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm like x6 for the Assioma pedals. I had to replace my P1 earlier this year, and I really wanted to make up an excuse for the Vector 3 for all their brand promises. After querying the forum, I got the Assioma pedals. So glad I did. They are freakin' awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I can’t see the advantage of the vector 3 pedals. Tell me what I’m missing.

x11 on the Assioma.... but as an early morning mind exercise I'll switch sides.

Vector 3
- They look better. The nicest looking power meter pedal out there.
- Cycling Dynamics - Power phase data and platform center offset. Favero yet to release their Cycling Dynamics firmware.
- Garmin. Love them or hate them, they're Garmin. They're everywhere. Global support/distribution/etc.
- The supplied cleats are easier to walk in on slippery surfaces. I almost landed on my ass-ioma walking in those the first few times.

ok, so there's not a lot there really.... back to the Assioma:

AssiomaDUO
- Lightest pedal power meter (~300g a set)
- No battery cap jiggle/contact point issue/f&*$ery.
- 8mm hex wrench install (imo, easier than finding a 15mm standard wrench)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
mickison wrote:
I can’t see the advantage of the vector 3 pedals. Tell me what I’m missing.

x11 on the Assioma.... but as an early morning mind exercise I'll switch sides.

Vector 3
- They look better. The nicest looking power meter pedal out there.
- Cycling Dynamics - Power phase data and platform center offset. Favero yet to release their Cycling Dynamics firmware.
- Garmin. Love them or hate them, they're Garmin. They're everywhere. Global support/distribution/etc.
- The supplied cleats are easier to walk in on slippery surfaces. I almost landed on my ass-ioma walking in those the first few times.

ok, so there's not a lot there really.... back to the Assioma:

AssiomaDUO
- Lightest pedal power meter (~300g a set)
- No battery cap jiggle/contact point issue/f&*$ery.
- 8mm hex wrench install (imo, easier than finding a 15mm standard wrench)

A response from one of my favorite experts. Thanks. Yeah. Garmin’s look nicer but not something that matters for me. Just doesn’t seem to be enough to justify paying more when the Assioma’s seem to be so well reviewed. I currently have a single sided stages and single side 4iii on my bikes and would just prefer dual sided pedals that I can transfer between bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I currently have a single sided stages and single side 4iii on my bikes and would just prefer dual sided pedals that I can transfer between bikes.

Easy-switch power meters are a great idea in theory. In practice it's sometimes not ideal... I find pedals need a good stomping / sprints / bunny hops to 'bed in' after switching them between bikes or cranks. Once that's done, a re-zero usually sets them straight. Something to be mindful of if anyone is switching power meters between road/TT bikes in a carpark between events.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Last edited by: gplama: May 5, 19 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t be switching frequently for sure. Is it something that I could do on my indoor bike trainer. Just swap pedals then do some quick sprints on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few all-out efforts on the trainer should do the trick. Outside is easier to really bounce around on them though.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point. Outside a little better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:

Glad to hear it!

Last year I did a free trial for Zwift and they wouldn’t read my pedals correctly. So I was going like 35watts. I know that’s wrong because I go AT LEAST 50 watts.

They may have corrected it since then, I don’t know because I didn’t really care for zwift. I wouldn’t let that deter you. They’ve been excellent for me. And I don’t know why you would spend more on another unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:

Easy-switch power meters are a great idea in theory. In practice it's sometimes not ideal... I find pedals need a good stomping / sprints / bunny hops to 'bed in' after switching them between bikes or cranks. Once that's done, a re-zero usually sets them straight. Something to be mindful of if anyone is switching power meters between road/TT bikes in a carpark between events.

I'm curious/confused by this. I have PowerTap P1 dual sided pedals. I switch between bikes as needed. All I've done for switching is remove from current bike, add to new bike, activate PM (manually spinning to wake up), got to sensor details on Garmin head unit, perform calibration/zeroing, ride. That seems to work fine for me, what am I missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
drm437 wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:

Glad to hear it!

Last year I did a free trial for Zwift and they wouldn’t read my pedals correctly. So I was going like 35watts. I know that’s wrong because I go AT LEAST 50 watts.

They may have corrected it since then, I don’t know because I didn’t really care for zwift. I wouldn’t let that deter you. They’ve been excellent for me. And I don’t know why you would spend more on another unit.

Even if this is the case, I’m not concerned as I have a Neo that is pretty well in line with my current meter...or at least close enough.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I choose vector 3 pedals over Favero assiomo? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
gplama wrote:

I'm curious/confused by this. I have PowerTap P1 dual sided pedals. I switch between bikes as needed. All I've done for switching is remove from current bike, add to new bike, activate PM (manually spinning to wake up), got to sensor details on Garmin head unit, perform calibration/zeroing, ride. That seems to work fine for me, what am I missing?

Likely missing a second power meter on each bike to compare the P1 to ensure they aren't +/- a few % on the first ride? I'm talking maybe 5,10,15W for a few minutes before a zero brings them into line. I don't expect many others are this anal about power numbers, or even care about a few watts here or there.

Having said that, I'm going on what I see on my equipment. I have to be careful to outline this... as above: 'sometimes' and 'I find' etc... because the Internet is a tripwire.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
because the Internet is a tripwire.

Cunningham's Law: "the best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason I can think of is that Assiomas will be trash once the batteries will no longer hold the charge. Not sure what's their lifespan, but on the Vectors they are obviously replaceable.

This said I sold my P1s and got Assiomas for $200 difference. Super happy so far.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next