Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why not race with power?
Quote | Reply
All this power talk has got me doing some research. If you train with power and figure out all your zones and base your training efforts on certain power levels, what good does it then do to race without power?

If you are using the Power Tap you lose it when you switch to race wheels and I have noticed that although all the pro's train with the SRM I haven't seen a single pro TDF or Tri bike with SRM during a race.

Are PT users that have a tri and road bike able to switch from one bike to the other, or do they have to have the whole PT set up on each bike if they choose to have power on both bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Why not race with power? [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a hed alps rear wheel built around a powertap hub, and then a standard powertap wheel. so i can race and train with a power meter.

that said, after having a powertap for quite awhile, i don't think it's a big deal to race without a power meter. training with the powertap will teach you good skills for timed racing, like how to keep your power application steady throughout the race and over a variety of terrains. you can get along without it for a race.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Why not race with power? [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larsen rode an SRM at IM OZ if memory serves me correctly. And you CAN race with power with race wheels and PowerTap. You'll have to order another hub laced to a 404 or 303 rim, which Graber/CycleOps does offer. If you want a disc, well you'll have to go with an SRM system. I raced with my standard 28 spoke/cxp23 laced PT Pro this year and rode my fastest ever 1/2 IM bike leg. Having raced and trained with power now I don't think I'll go without again, at least at 1/2 IM and above distance.
Quote Reply