Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why is Rapp going to Kona?
Quote | Reply
I recall Rapp saying he didn't want to go to kona until he could post a good result (I think he said that).

Obviously since he's racing, he's decided he is at that place; that's pretty exciting! But did he announce/discuss this somewhere, or was it an under the radar decision?

I do confess, I have not been diligent with my ST usership and this have missed this detail. Forgive me.

Link, anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great interview I listed to via Podcast on Endurance Nation with Jordan where he explains this. Search for it on iTunes.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im not sure exactly why, but I would think it has a lot with some users on ST saying he wins Ironman this or that but cant beat the big guns like Macca, Crowie etc. Something along those lines is my guess..

I thought it was because now there is no chance of being smoked by some ex cycling guy (who shall remain nameless).
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uncle_evan wrote:
. . .I would think it has a lot with some users on ST saying ...

Immutable truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST demanded it. He couldn't resist.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.enduranceplanet.com/...-win-taking-on-kona/

Just before halfway through.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Oct 3, 12 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was saying he couldn't recover from Leadman in time. Not sure what's actually changed, but it'll be fun to watch. I guess if he doesn't do well he'll have that out to keep it interesting for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
I recall Rapp saying he didn't want to go to kona until he could post a good result (I think he said that).

Obviously since he's racing, he's decided he is at that place; that's pretty exciting! But did he announce/discuss this somewhere, or was it an under the radar decision?

I do confess, I have not been diligent with my ST usership and this have missed this detail. Forgive me.

Link, anyone?

He's talked about it quite a bit on ST. Don't have a link.

He mentioned running out reasons to not go. He mentioned the strength of his IM run. Basically he wants to compete against the best in the sport and Kona is the place to do it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is because the President called,apparently he is Americas only hope.

----
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Rappstar is going to correct us all soon enough, but I thought after the way the last few Kona's have played out for the cyclists he wasn't happy with the bike tactics and the legal distance draft pacing that was being used. I do remember him saying he wouldn't go to Kona anytime soon. Things change, he'll do great.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [Pedalsaurus-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I could be wrong here - but didn't Jordan decide to do IMNY when 7 was supposedly doing it? I remember thinking at the time shrewd...and brave.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 was never racing IMNY. Rapp raced IMNY to get the points required to get to Kona.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
He was saying he couldn't recover from Leadman in time. Not sure what's actually changed, but it'll be fun to watch. I guess if he doesn't do well he'll have that out to keep it interesting for next year.

He lists quite a few reasons in the interview, among them wanting to race for the chance to hoist the Stars and Stripes, timing of his injury, other similar timing factors. It's a pretty good interview, well worth listening to.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that UTG has chimed in, I can add to this.

Why is he going to Kona? To beat Macca, Crowie, Kienle and Ralaert. Any other good reasons? Those runs at Texas and NYC both in the heat should have everyone really worried...and if they are not worried, that might work in his favour as he and Kienle ride up the road. The fun part about all this is that I have been aparently tasked to put down the timing mats at Kawaihai and Hawi. Who will cross them first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked him to win the bike leg in the cycleops lottery. A bit of a longshot, but he's got it in him from his times.... I picked Macca to win. ;)

Hope he does well.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Rapp going to Kona? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Wasn't there a point - when 7 found out he wouldn't be doing Nice, that people were summising that he'd do NY?

I'm sure thats when Jordan dropped the K bomb.

Hence at the time I was like 'you shrewd bugger Jordan'

Again - could be wrong though, nappy brain at mo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People might have surmised that but the reason Jordan picked IMNY was the high points available.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7's only chance if he had a bad race at Nice were either doing IMNYC as a backup (4000 pts) or 70.3 Wiesbaden (1500 pts). After IM Texas, Jordan also had to consider between a bunch of 70.3's to get enough points or IMNYC (rather than IMC) to get enough points for Kona. I think it was just a coincidence that 7 and Rapp could square off in August. It was just the nature of the points, that would result in that.

By the way, what is the convention on ST? Is is 7 or is it 007?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 3, 12 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll tell you exactly why he's racing.....because he just wants to race.

Far too simple for ST...but that's the reason.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team