Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is IM Chattanooga still open?
Quote | Reply
Watching all other fall IM races sell out- why is Chattanooga not selling out? Signed up for Titanium Man in August, looking for a fall back up if it cancels . Panama City was my back up plan- but now its sold out
Quote Reply
Re: Why is IM Chattanooga still open? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it has an assisted swim and real Ironman athletes love to swim.

Actually, I can't even say that with a straight face. I have no clue why it's open. I'm holding out hope it'll remain open and my wife doesn't go into labor early (due Oct. 5) and I can sign up on site! :)

She'd ok'd me signing up for Florida but then it sold out when I went to register like 2 days later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Florida always sells out. It’s fast, nice location and not too hot.

IM Chattanooga doesn’t sell out early as it’s not the easiest course, can be hot AF and anyone interested in Kona usually isn’t interested in it. Obviously none of this matters that much since most people are holding off on races due to Covid but Florida likely was pretty close to selling out in the spring before all this happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is IM Chattanooga still open? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Florida also "added" a 70.3 to the venue at the same time so the thought there is that transition can only physically hold so many people. Likely far fewer full racers taken. Could make the results list pretty short and a better opportunity potentially to KQ. Chattanooga moved their 70.3 to 5 weeks prior. Pretty good set up if you're a local and want to do both. This is all assuming any of these races happen which, imo, is getting less likely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Temps in the upper 90s last year and a very high dnf rate. I'm sure it turned a lot of people off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I panicked and signed up for Chattanooga. Was looking at Florida but then it sold out then I saw Maryland and Wisconsin Sold Out and I panicked. Figured the deferral options have been pretty good so it wasn't a big risk. It's not a smart move for me because swimming and running are my strengths. Bike is my weakness and this is a 116 bike. I've been working on my bike a lot though. I hear it's a beautiful course and I train in Central Florida so I'm not afraid of it being hot.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love choo and would live to do it this year, but I’m not signed up because I don’t think it’s going to happen. I’m sure I’m not that unique.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Why is IM Chattanooga still open? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Temps in the upper 90s last year and a very high dnf rate. I'm sure it turned a lot of people off.

And worse then that in 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are people interested in Kona not interested in Chatty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubt it happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wishful thinking
Quote Reply
Re: Why is IM Chattanooga still open? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idk. I'm definitely going for a KONA slot. But...I doubt the race happens. I'll transfer into and early IM next year for guarantee entry.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
Why are people interested in Kona not interested in Chatty?
They are usually two weeks apart.
You aren’t going to race Chatty and then Kona 2 weeks later thus you immediately eliminate all people racing Kona that year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always assumed that Chatty would Qualify you for the following years Kona. The current page says it qualifies you for the 2021 World Champs. I guess that is just because Kona this year is pushed back to winter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
I always assumed that Chatty would Qualify you for the following years Kona. The current page says it qualifies you for the 2021 World Champs. I guess that is just because Kona this year is pushed back to winter

Yes.....but if you are already signed up for Kona 2019, you aren’t doing Chatty 2019. They are too close together. It has absolutely nothing to do with qualification years or kona spots. If you are doing Kona, it is going to be your “A” race and you aren’t doing a full Ironman 2 weeks before your “A” race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

Yes.....but if you are already signed up for Kona 2019, you aren’t doing Chatty 2019. They are too close together. It has absolutely nothing to do with qualification years or kona spots. If you are doing Kona, it is going to be your “A” race and you aren’t doing a full Ironman 2 weeks before your “A” race.

Not sure why Chatty 2020 people can't try to get in Kona 2021. This isn't 2019.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Why is IM Chattanooga still open? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

Not sure why Chatty 2020 people can't try to get in Kona 2021. This isn't 2019.

I am talking in general. I was simply explaining why typically Florida is more popular than Chatty. Because if someone is doing Kona, they are not usually doing Chatty in that calendar year. I used 2019 as an example because Covid changed this year
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Jun 26, 20 19:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is still open because of Covid. People are afraid the race will not happen and I tend to agree. I have a friend who is training for Chatty but hasn’t signed up because of this concern.

Florida used to sell out within minutes of opening up but that isn’t the case any longer. It’s still a popular race but with so many choices these days it isn’t nearly as hard to get into Florida as it used to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is IM Chattanooga still open? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a fast bike despite the extra 4 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I always assumed that Chatty would Qualify you for the following years Kona. "
------
Yes, Choo always qualifies for a year later. Has nothing to do with Feb Kona. I KQd Choo last year for Kona this which is now pushed to Feb (which I don't think will happen either). The reason for the earlier statement is current KQ people usually don't do Choo b/c they are only 2 weeks apart. Does that explain it?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply