Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [scientificproof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave is using the term based on the right-wing political wave in the US. It is used as a derogatory label and personal attack on people, typically when they have no ability to have a logical debate with someone.

Here is Wikipedia:
Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize the young adults of the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. The term is considered derogatory.[1][2] It is one of multiple examples of usage of the word "snowflake" to refer to people.

Another from Wikipedia:
Snowflake as a politicized insult is typically used by those on the political right to insult those on the political left.[15] Jessica Roy, writing for the Los Angeles Times, says the alt-right in the United States describes those protesting against Donald Trump as "snowflakes", using the term as a pejorative.[16] A 2017 article from Think Progress commented: "The insult expanded to encompass not just the young, but liberals of all ages; it became the epithet of choice for right-wingers to fling at anyone who could be accused of being too easily offended, too in need of "safe spaces," too fragile".[17] Jonathon Green, editor of "Green's Dictionary of Slang" points out snowflake is an unusual insult in that it calls someone weak and fragile without using misogynistic of homophobic references.[18]
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his posts are usually interesting - I don't understand why he gets attacked. He's obviously a good athlete - everyone is different and there is no one way to get the best results, but I'm sure most people on here could learn a lot from his methods - they work.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
I think his posts are usually interesting - I don't understand why he gets attacked. He's obviously a good athlete - everyone is different and there is no one way to get the best results, but I'm sure most people on here could learn a lot from his methods - they work.

See, there's the problem - there's no way of knowing if they do "work" or not.

Dave may be successful *because* of what he does, or *in spite* of what he does.

It's probably some of the former (a whole lot of consistent training, over time) and a LOT of the latter (pretty much everything else Dave does, or how he does it.).

Dave may be able to "cut down the largest tree in the forest - with a herring!", but I'd prefer to use a chainsaw, or at least an axe.

It's beyond ironic that Dave - the ultimate snowflake; literally nobody else is like him, or does anything like he does - is using that term to refer to others.

I'd rather get and heed advice that works for 99.999% of triathletes, than that which "works" for .001%

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's like saying that Usain Bolt could be faster if he didn't eat chicken nuggets. Who cares - it works for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me personally I know that if I do 30 minutes of tempo training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach that I can shed weight very quickly over a short period of time BUT this is not a sustainable after dropping 10 lbs as I plateau. In the winter to keep my weight down I also do micro fasts every Monday. Sunday night I have my normal dinner at around 5pm and I do not eat until 5pm on Monday night and I do a very easy 5km run on the Monday just before dinner. This just works for me.

I do routinely see people trying to shed weight eating way too much after exercising.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
That's like saying that Usain Bolt could be faster if he didn't eat chicken nuggets. Who cares - it works for him.

Not even remotely the same. Bolt is pushing the boundaries of human achievement in his event, so there is a good chance he is doing it 'right'. I also guarantee that he and his team and turning over stones to see what they might be missing.

Dave just says his way works and refuses to try a different way. Typically based on the flawed theory that he is genetically unable to bike faster, or some variation. For all he knows, he might be the best athlete in a race and massively underperforming. How many can remain at his weight and be healthy, that certainly has a genetic component (assuming his continued racing means he is 'healthy' in a sport context)
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I will never forgive the 2016 election cycle for politicizing "snowflake." It was a real gem of a word ever since its use in Fight Club, but has been forever wrecked thanks to US politics.

For purposes of this thread, however, if "snowflake" ain't off limits, then I guess "cuck" ain't either.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some questions:

1) What percentage of "research" on sports nutrition is funded by companies that are in the business of marketing sports nutrition?

2) How many coaches, sports physiologist and other professionals receive some kind of compensation from sports nutrition companies?

3) How is Gatorade, Gu, or Power-aid-better for long term health (I.e. outside competition and hard training), than Hawaiian Punch, gummy bears and sprite?
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll throw in my n=1 experience with long workouts and post-workout eating habits. I am certainly not as lean as the OP, undoubtedly a much slower runner, and no expert in nutrition -- just getting that out of the way to start. :)

When I am in weight-loss mode, what works well for me after a 2-hour run or 3-hour ride (or longer), is to have mostly high-protein food after the workout (e.g., scrambled eggs, sliced turkey, protein shake etc.) and postpone consuming significant carbs for an hour or more after the workout. The longer I am able to go without consuming many carbs after the workout (to a point, I've never pushed it more than 2-2.5 hours), the bigger the bang I get for fat-burning and weight loss.

If I'm above my desired race weight levels, I can typically drop 0.75-1.5 lbs. in a single session by taking this approach, compared to not losing any weight or even gaining a bit if I eat significant carbs shortly after the workout. Is it a water retention / hydration issue? That I can't say. But for me, this result has been pretty consistent. YMMV.

As far as shorter sessions, I've done them both fasted and fueled, and I can't say I've really noticed much difference one way or the other regarding weight loss. If I go first thing in the morning pre-breakfast, I seem to be good up through the 1-1.25 hours w/o fuel. Train longer than that w/o fueling and my performance begins to suffer.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:
...If I'm above my desired race weight levels, I can typically drop 0.75-1.5 lbs. in a single session by taking this approach, compared to not losing any weight or even gaining a bit if I eat significant carbs shortly after the workout. Is it a water retention / hydration issue? That I can't say. But for me, this result has been pretty consistent. YMMV.

I would say you are losing water and likely not making significant fat loses. Single sessions or measurements aren't all that useful. 1.5lbs is a huge amount of calories to burn in a single workout.

Of course restricting calories after workouts can help with weight management. Eating some protein instead of carbs will cut the intake post workout and reduce your daily intake as long as it doesn't lead to overeating later in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Personally, I will never forgive the 2016 election cycle for politicizing "snowflake." It was a real gem of a word ever since its use in Fight Club, but has been forever wrecked thanks to US politics.

For purposes of this thread, however, if "snowflake" ain't off limits, then I guess "cuck" ain't either.

Yeah, massively misunderstood by right-wing 'folks'.

Apparently an early use was to refer to anti-abolishonists as snowflakes, since they preferred white over black. The term has an odd and varied history.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Dave - To clarify this whole issue, it might be helpful to post your daily training, eating, and sleep schedule. This might clear things up a bit. I don't think most readers are aware of your VERY early to bed, VERY early to rise schedule, nor of your meal times. Also, I would be curious how much you taper for races; since you seem to race very often, I'm guessing not a lot but surely you don't train 3 hr/day every day Mon-Sat and then race on Sun???

Will try when i get home from bend and burney in a week. Posting with a cell phone is the pits. I still have to find a way to improve my bike. One friend thinks some gym work would help. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave- you clearly care about how fast you go, as you brag about winning a race. The race had 96 people in it, and was held in Northern California the week after 70.3 Santa Rosa, which had 2300 finishers. Congrats on the win- it is always great to win, but some perspective is probably important. You do note that it is a challenging race- it is.

What is disappointing is your attitude about whether or not eating after working out is important. Study after study has been conducting. A 30 second search will turn up some results. These studies have been done on resistance workouts, endurance workouts, etc. Here are some takeaways:

1) If you eat before a workout, you probably don't need to eat immediately afterwards as your body is still processing the nutrients from that workout (obviously dependent upon how long you workout). It is a good idea to include protein in your meal before a workout.

2) If you don't eat before a workout, you should eat after.

3) There is little evidence to suggest that a low carb, high fat diet helps you metabolize fat faster.

4) Supplementing with protein increases muscle protein synthesis. You only need ~20g of protein for this to happen.

If you want to read more about it, you can search for yourself, or read this or this.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son was a personal trainer and he advised me that If you are properly reducing caloric intake, primarily for weight loss, you can't really train for improved (or even maintained) performance.
You may see some performance/speed gains if you get into decent amounts of weight loss simply because your body is doing less work, but it's best to do the weight loss thing, then switch to gaining performance. And gaining performance will require additional nutrition to fuel that training and increased pace.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically don't eat much after long workout but do eat something so I can keep moving. For weight loss eating nothing after supper and going to bed hungry works.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Here are some questions:

1) What percentage of "research" on sports nutrition is funded by companies that are in the business of marketing sports nutrition?

2) How many coaches, sports physiologist and other professionals receive some kind of compensation from sports nutrition companies?

3) How is Gatorade, Gu, or Power-aid-better for long term health (I.e. outside competition and hard training), than Hawaiian Punch, gummy bears and sprite?

Yes, those are some questions. I won't disagree with that. But what's your point?

Presumably you're trying to suggest that the idea of eating is a food industry conspiracy?
Of course the sport specific nutrition industry has a vested interest in pushing their products but that's not where all our knowledge comes from. Nor is it the type of food that most in this thread are suggesting is desirable.
Calling conventional wisdom into question is fine, I'm all for it. But if you're espousing a somewhat extreme alternative I think you owe us something to back it up. Surely evidence either matters to you or it does not. I don't think it's reasonable to make assertions without providing any evidence and expect us to accept them. Trying to cast doubt on the value of endorsements of the alternative is NOT the same as discrediting the practice itself (i.e. eating) and does NOT make your own position more credible. IMO

Velocibuddha wrote:
There are definitely cases where it makes since to "refuel" after a workout.
There are definitely cases where it makes since to use "sports nutrition" during a race.

That said... ... these "cases " represent a tiny fraction of the calories that are consumed during training and racing.

MOST CALORIES that are consumed during and after training have NO POSITIVE EFFECT at all. They simply make fat people fatter.

I presume since=sense?

Have you ANY solid evidence for that last statement in bold?
You're the one questioning evidence, so do you have any?
If so I'd be very interested to read it. Maybe I'll learn something, and I like learning something.
If not, I see little reason to take that statement seriously.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 19, 17 3:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That's like saying that Usain Bolt could be faster if he didn't eat chicken nuggets. Who cares - it works for him."

No, the analogy would be if Usain Bolt claimed that the reason he was fast was because he ate chicken nuggets, and suggested everyone else would be as fast if they too ate chicken nuggets. He's completely convinced that he has no natural ability whatsoever and everything he accomplishes is the result of his superior training methods.

Another H2Oism is to state "I only do slow running in training." and then in another post say "I try to do a tempo run after the bike 3X a week." and when pressed insist "It's only 15 minutes 3X a week." When further pressed about how the two statements can co-exist, he'll say "Look, I won the Lake Oroville Triathlon after snitching on the two leaders for going around the turnaround cone the wrong way. What have you won?"
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"That's like saying that Usain Bolt could be faster if he didn't eat chicken nuggets. Who cares - it works for him."

No, the analogy would be if Usain Bolt claimed that the reason he was fast was because he ate chicken nuggets, and suggested everyone else would be as fast if they too ate chicken nuggets. He's completely convinced that he has no natural ability whatsoever and everything he accomplishes is the result of his superior training methods.

Another H2Oism is to state "I only do slow running in training." and then in another post say "I try to do a tempo run after the bike 3X a week." and when pressed insist "It's only 15 minutes 3X a week." When further pressed about how the two statements can co-exist, he'll say "Look, I won the Lake Oroville Triathlon after snitching on the two leaders for going around the turnaround cone the wrong way. What have you won?"

Lol - FTW!!!

The other thing new(er) posters won't know about Dave, is that whatever training methods he's using at this moment are the One True Way, and nothing anybody else did, does, or ever will do can possibly be better - because, look at my results!!

A decade + ago, Dave's schtick was minimalist training, as he was the lord and master of work/life/family balance, and routinely boasted about his 12 hour IM finish on relatively low volume, and only ever running 3x6 miles per week, and that being the secret sauce for multisport mastery.

Now, he's retired and trains 3hours daily, because he's got nothing better to do, and he's OCD AF.

But that's probably not optimum for almost anybody, and 99.999% of AG'ers couldn't or shouldn't try to emulate that, no matter how "easy" Dave claims it to be.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
My son was a personal trainer and he advised me that If you are properly reducing caloric intake, primarily for weight loss, you can't really train for improved (or even maintained) performance.
You may see some performance/speed gains if you get into decent amounts of weight loss simply because your body is doing less work, but it's best to do the weight loss thing, then switch to gaining performance. And gaining performance will require additional nutrition to fuel that training and increased pace.

On the surface, I agree with this. But I don't think it's that black and white. After 2015 IMCDA I put on about 25 pounds. I was in fantastic shape before the weight gain. Just about 75 days ago I started seriously training again and targeted Duathlon Nationals here in Bend. It was my carrot and my reason to lose the weight. I put together a training plan that was no different than if I had started at ideal weight and was only trying to get faster. I did lose the weight and got fast (maybe faster). I think through a combination of losing the weight and actually being able to go harder. I really focused on the timing of my nutrition. I was careful to fuel for the sessions properly afterwards. I got fast enough to win Masters for both standard distance and draft-legal sprint (front-door brag, pretty damn proud!).

My training was mostly polarized...no real grey-zone training except the final weeks, 2-, 4-, 8, and 12-minute 100-100% FTP intervals with some piddle pedaling and 9:00/mi. runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 3 years I have lost more weight more times than anybody I know. There is nothing anybody can tell me about weight loss that is true that I don't know already. I have tried everything and kept a daily log, first on paper then with Garmin index smart scale and pics. After my last IM I got sloppy over the winter traveling and eating like I was going to the chair. I ended up 30lbs heavier and had to buy all new jeans to accommodate my 34 inch waist. I felt ashamed and knew I had to do something drastic to get back in shape. I started out with a long fast (96hrs) and then began exercising on a restricted diet, lifting weights and cardio. In 70 days I lost the 30lbs of fat and looked and felt better than I did in the fall in addition being able to use my 30inch jeans again. Once the weight loss slowed I added a 36hr fast once a week and that fired it back up and worked great. This is by far the most effective way to shed fat. It works, it sucks going through it but the results are inarguable. Sadly I have had to do this 4 other times in 3yrs. I really like to eat a lot. Honestly I noticed little difference in weight loss wether I did cardio or not and then came across a study that confirmed what I already had figured out:
http://www.nytimes.com/...atherer-workout.html
https://fanaticcook.com/...ns-in-us-and-europe/
It is the resting metabolism that burns the most calories over any given day.
I followed a strict diet and timed my meals and macros. It was very difficult to come home from a long hard day at work and not "treat" myself.
For my 36 hr fasts I would eat in the afternoon on Sunday skip the next day and eat small meal in the morning 2 hours before my workout Tuesday mornings.
I noticed no decrease in strength. For those of you that will say the body will burn muscle for fuel I did not notice it at all, which was no surprise either seeing as that is the purpose of body fat (stored energy)
Research indicates there are a whole host of benefits from fasting for your body, just google it.
Last edited by: Weimjagd1: Jun 21, 17 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Weimjagd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weimjagd1 wrote:
In the past 3 years I have lost more weight more times than anybody I know. There is nothing anybody can tell me about weight loss that is true that I don't know already. I have tried everything and kept a daily log, first on paper then with Garmin index smart scale and pics. After my last IM I got sloppy over the winter traveling and eating like I was going to the chair. I ended up 30lbs heavier and had to buy all new jeans to accommodate my 34 inch waist. I felt ashamed and knew I had to do something drastic to get back in shape. I started out with a long fast (96hrs) and then began exercising on a restricted diet, lifting weights and cardio. In 70 days I lost the 30lbs of fat and looked and felt better than I did in the fall in addition being able to use my 30inch jeans again. Once the weight loss slowed I added a 36hr fast once a week and that fired it back up and worked great. This is by far the most effective way to shed fat. It works, it sucks going through it but the results are inarguable. Sadly I have had to do this 4 other times in 3yrs. I really like to eat a lot. Honestly I noticed little difference in weight loss wether I did cardio or not and then came across a study that confirmed what I already had figured out:
I followed a strict diet and timed my meals and macros. It was very difficult to come home from a long hard day at work and not "treat" myself.
For my 36 hr fasts I would eat in the afternoon on Sunday skip the next day and eat small meal in the morning 2 hours before my workout Tuesday mornings.
I noticed no decrease in strength. For those of you that will say the body will burn muscle for fuel I did not notice it at all, which was no surprise either seeing as that is the purpose of body fat (stored energy)
Research indicates there are a whole host of benefits from fasting for your body, just google it.

Great stuff. Seems like what i hear you saying is the quantity of food you eat more than the when impacts weight.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Weimjagd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weimjagd1 wrote:

This article gives the science behind what you have experienced.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/...ass-fasting-part-14/
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does,
Thank you.

The only people I find that argue against this have never tried it.

btw, I formulated my plan mainly from information I got from two books:
Racing Weight and Diet Cults both by Matt Fitzgerald.
and two videos in a old post by DarkSpeedWorks about reversing diabetes
I have read and studied countless other articles and studies as well.
Last edited by: Weimjagd1: Jun 21, 17 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, four times in three years you have had to go through this process? It would be nice if you could find a way to keep the weight off instead of yo-yoing...

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I binge eat on vacations.
I need to stop that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next