Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why don't people like Contador?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering why so many people seem to dislike Contador? Is it because he didn't let Lance win in 09? Or because he didn't slow down when Schleck lost his chain? Or something else?

-------------------------------

“He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to any circumstances” David Hume
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [the-dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like or dislike, you can't deny that the guy is pure finesse on a bike. Love watching him climb in the big mountains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably the whole pistol thing...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a combination of things you've mentioned.

Also, it is more than likely he has/was/is doping based on the positive test results from last years Tour.

No doubt, he's a great rider on a level by himself. But, why doesn't he just race without drugs and still win? (That is, if it is true his "meat" wasn't just bad)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is amazing to watch when he climbs.
But.
He is juiced. (Or so I believe)

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a strong contingent of pro-Contador fans here on Slowtwitch-led by Carl Spackler and myself.

One of many things I love about him is that just about every time he pins on a race number, he races to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the-dude wrote:
Just wondering why so many people seem to dislike Contador? Is it because he didn't let Lance win in 09? Or because he didn't slow down when Schleck lost his chain? Or something else?
Yeah, kinda bemuses me too. Don't think he's done anything any worse than any of the other Type-A grand tour team leaders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cause he is a dick.

Todd

Seen on ST: NOTSOSWUYD: None of the secrets of success work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
There's a strong contingent of pro-Contador fans here on Slowtwitch-led by Carl Spackler and myself.

One of many things I love about him is that just about every time he pins on a race number, he races to win.

Today was a good example of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like watching him race, and really like cheering against him.

I cheer against him because he is good. I like a good upset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's not ah-murican.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like that he's so good and grand tour wins seem to come to him so easily. (I like seeing guys struggle to win)

I don't like his friggin pistol salute, his pistol graphics, and his pistol nickname.

I don't like his apparent association with Operation Puerto and clenbuterol

But I do love the fact that he's behind at this early stage in the Tour. I can't wait to watch him fight for the win. Nobody accelerates on climbs like he does. I was surprised by the end of today's stage and that he wasn't able to do more. (But I was also happy he didn't get to fire his little gun)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like him if he was more like Lance. ;-)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Michael,

Indeed. Although, with the time gaps where they were and ounce it was down to the real finale with most of the GC guys right there today, the onus was on Contador to attack to get some time back. Unfortunately, that did not work well for him today. Still lots of time, riding and climbing to go!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every reason I've heard uttered as to why people don't like him sounds EXACTLY like Lance, Indurain, and Eddy M.

Maybe they are lemond fans, he was kinda weird

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This stage is a precursor of what's to come. I'm sure that Contador would've preferred to have kept his powder dry, just as I'm sure he would've on Stage 6 and Stage 8, waiting for Stage 12 to light the Tour up. But because of his deficit, he will be allowed to race the way he wants to-like a killer.

He gained 8 seconds on the rider who many said before the start of this Tour, what those same people called a "Climbers Tour," was the only rider capable of climbing with him, and he did it on a climb that was only 1.2 miles long. Things today couldn't have worked out much better today, as far as Contador's concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:

Unlike triathlon I don't think there is anybody in bike racing (amateur->pro) that isn't the same way.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's a doper who has been caught (no way I believe his tainted meat story) and while I think most of them use something (usually only used in race horses) he has been caught red handed.

I LOATHE the whole pistol, pistolero crap. really and truly despise it.

His lack of grace in the sport (yes he should have waited for AS last year when he had a mechanical)

and he just comes off as an arrogant ass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen:

1) He doesn't give many interviews in English, which makes it hard for some people to understand his actions.
2) The whole Lance thing in '09.
3) The Pistelero thing is terrible.
4) Chain Gate
5) Tainted beef

For me, #3 is the only one that's legitimate:). He generally says the right things in the media (much more-so than Andy Schleck) and seems like a good guy, plus I love watching him ride. He'll be enshrined as the best Grand Tour rider in history before the end of his career (if he isn't already).
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Probably the whole pistol thing...

To be honest...for me, it IS mostly about the "finger-bang" thing. Seriously. It's lame.

Oh...and I don't believe for a second the "tainted beef" bullcrap either. It's funny how up until HE tested positive for clenbuterol there was a precedence "strict liability" enforcement for that particular substance ...that doesn't sit well with me either.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the elephant in the room is that if he were white and spoke English, people would love him.

No one seems to have a problem with Leipheimer's failed drug test, for example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
Of course the elephant in the room is that if he were white and spoke English, people would love him.

Of course . . . because everyone loves Roger Clemens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No one seems to have a problem with Leipheimer's failed drug test, for example."

False. Also, Levi is not cycling's golden boy.

Quote Reply
Re: Why don't people like Contador? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next