Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run?
Quote | Reply
Seems over the years I see all this focus on the bike segment of our races. But thinking about my races, I have seen very few where the bike won the race.
But I have seen many folks losing their race because their run is so poor.

Over the last few years I look at the results and just do not understand why so many folks, no matter what the age, are just slow on the run. When they fly by me on the
bike, I just smile and think I just wait my time, and pass them on the run. So do folks just not train enough, correctly, for the run off the bike?

So, are all the race results wrong, or ?? And if I just focus on folks around my age group age, it really gets interesting to see how slow most folks run. If you can swim and bike,
but cannot run, well, it is only the finish time that matters.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shocker...another self-congratulatory thread from Dave on what an awesome a runner he is.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be powercranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like you were just trying to single me out...

But for real- I know i'm a crappy runner. Do I try to improve that? Yes. But I also know that if we bike the same bike, you'll catch me. But if I put a gap on you going into the run, I might hold you off. I'm like a way slower and less successful Starky :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can swim and run ok, but do not enjoy the cycling portion of the triathlon. This is because I'm not very good at cycling. I long ago accepted that I would get passed for the duration of the bike, often by packs, then catch a good number of people on the run.

I'm cool with that, and I don't really care about how other people choose to race. Except for people who draft illegally on the bike, or litter on course. Those people suck and should be given some kind of permanent, very uncomfortable rash.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Seems over the years I see all this focus on the bike segment of our races. But thinking about my races, I have seen very few where the bike won the race.

Over the last few years I look at the results and just do not understand why so many folks, no matter what the age, are just slow on the run. When they fly by me on the
bike, I just smile and think I just wait my time, and pass them on the run. So do folks just not train enough, correctly, for the run off the bike?

So, are all the race results wrong, or ?? And if I just focus on folks around my age group age, it really gets interesting to see how slow most folks run. If you can swim and bike,

I feel this post will fill the rest of my day with enjoyment. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
I feel like you were just trying to single me out...

But for real- I know i'm a crappy runner. Do I try to improve that? Yes. But I also know that if we bike the same bike, you'll catch me. But if I put a gap on you going into the run, I might hold you off. I'm like a way slower and less successful Starky :)

Yep. Lots of ways to skin a cat. I am slowly getting my running back, and slowly increasing power on the bike. I guess the bike improvement happens quicker (I'm 45)...and the running speed is more of a slow gradual thing. In the meantime, I know I'm not over biking...just don't have the run on par with my bike power...yet.

It's not that I'm ignoring my run fitness, but in all seriousness, I'm just happy to be running injury-free.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it that they are poor runners or just overcooked themselves on the bike? Lots of people pace poorly on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct... only the finish time counts. I do think a lot of the focus is with the bike merely because it represents about 50% of the entire race. Let's face it, the bike is where most of the flashy equipment is found so people focus more on the bling. The bike is where equipment can sometimes make up for (some) athletic deficits. Some could argue the run is more punishing on the body so a lot of people may not push training in that area as much. The run is therefore where people self-handicap before the start line.

Whether it's a smart move or not, I think some people that know they are slower will focus on "banking" time on the bike knowing that they need a cushion against their peers who do run better. Or they are just not as experienced or disciplined to carry out a race strategy that doesn't have them burning out before the finish line. While the original question is about the bike, I think the swim is neglected more than the bike and run.

Myself, I tend to look each SBR time, and transition times too, and try to see where I could have been more efficient or pushed harder, or saved some juice, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some reasons why the bike gets more love than the run:
1) It takes up a larger percentage of time during the race.
2) It usually takes up a larger percentage of training time.
3) Bike split times responds more favorably to hard work and planning than running times. (Let's face it talent plays a huge role in running- less so in cycling and swimming).
4) Some people fixate on technology and gadgetry- much more of this with cycling.
5) More money can be made selling bike stuff.
6) More money can be saved making wise choices about bike stuff.
7) Fatties and muscle bound fatties will suck less on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people just find running boring and biking awesome. So they train more for the bike and go faster on the bike, and suck at running. If these people would bike slower they would not run any faster. You mistake fast biking for overbiking, IMO. I think most people doing triathlon will have a favorite discipline and will always be better at it and enjoy it the most. Would focusing on their weakest discipline make them faster? Probably. Would they enjoy the sport more? Maybe, maybe not. To each their own I say.

Maybe you should focus more on the bike than the run Dave, then you wouldn't let so many damn people pass you before you start the run ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? Most triathletes secretly would rather be bike racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
No way. Because peloton crashes. Screw that.

Anyway, the OP is wrong. Successful AGs know how to pace the bike, and that properly pacing the bike is a setup for a good run. One and done crowd are the ones to overbike and then run 9 min/mile and then walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlin wrote:
I'm cool with that, and I don't really care about how other people choose to race. Except for people who draft illegally on the bike, or litter on course. Those people suck and should be given some kind of permanent, very uncomfortable rash.

Best post of the thread, maybe the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Lance Armstrong said, "Bike for show, run for dough".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Speaking only for myself, you will always beat me on the run no matter what I do, no matter what my training is. No matter what I do, I will always outweigh you, despite being significantly shorter than you. I also have very short legs for my height, so I would have to have a much higher cadence and/or have a ridiculous over-stride just to keep up. And on top of that, I have a left leg that is halfway useless. So my only shot at a decent placing or podium is to outswim and outbike someone like you, and hope I had enough of a lead in T2 that I don't get passed (and sometimes it actually works)...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Speaking only for myself, you will always beat me on the run no matter what I do, no matter what my training is. No matter what I do, I will always outweigh you, despite being significantly shorter than you. I also have very short legs for my height, so I would have to have a much higher cadence and/or have a ridiculous over-stride just to keep up.
Of course you can lose weight. Also, that's not how running works. Faster runners do not have longer legs or longer stride or higher cadence. This is pretty well understood. Faster runners apply more power at the push-off moment with the rear leg. And of course it is all about the aerobic engine, as well as proper running gait.
Quote:
And on top of that, I have a left leg that is halfway useless. So my only shot at a decent placing or podium is to outswim and outbike someone like you, and hope I had enough of a lead in T2 that I don't get passed (and sometimes it actually works)...

That could be a problem yes. I too have had issues with one leg (persistent IT band, weak glutes, pain). Proper PT every day at home has done wonders for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Is it that they are poor runners or just overcooked themselves on the bike? Lots of people pace poorly on the bike

Great question.

I have a friend who is a studly biker. Generally has the fastest, or one of the fastest bike splits in any race he does. But, then he gets on the
run and just does not do well. We have talked a lot and I have offered that he may be going too hard on the bike. I asked if he had a power meter on his bike
so he could collect data and compare on how he trains and races, he has nothing.

I then asked how much running he does. He said he only does like 90 minutes a week. Well, .. I suggested he needs to get his running up and be able
to run 90 minutes without stopping which he cannot do. So I suggested he just use the run walk method such that he does 90 minutes. He then tells me but
it is too slow, 8 mpm pace. I told him to leave the gadgets at home, and just get where he can run 90 minutes, period. Save the interval stuff for his races.

Will see how he does at Nationals.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually if he's only running 90 mins a week that's bad advice getting to 1- 90 min run.

It would be far better for him to do 2 20 min runs and a 50 min long run over one slow 90 min run

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Some people just find running boring and biking awesome. So they train more for the bike and go faster on the bike, and suck at running. If these people would bike slower they would not run any faster. You mistake fast biking for overbiking, IMO. I think most people doing triathlon will have a favorite discipline and will always be better at it and enjoy it the most. Would focusing on their weakest discipline make them faster? Probably. Would they enjoy the sport more? Maybe, maybe not. To each their own I say.

Maybe you should focus more on the bike than the run Dave, then you wouldn't let so many damn people pass you before you start the run ;)

It sure is so much more fun passing these folks on the run. :) And since folks in my AG only get 2 or 3 minutes into T2 ahead of me, not hard to catch them on the run.
Will see if this works at Donner Sunday, since my AG has some killer bikers. This strategy might not work there. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Easing into consistent running, it is far better to spread the weekly mileage into shorter more frequent runs, and then increase the daily mileage gradually. With the goal of one long/easy weekend run in Zone 2, several medium/easy weekly runs in zone 2, and at least one short tempo run in zone 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
BrianB wrote:

No way. Because peloton crashes. Screw that.

Anyway, the OP is wrong. Successful AGs know how to pace the bike, and that properly pacing the bike is a setup for a good run. One and done crowd are the ones to overbike and then run 9 min/mile and then walk.

Nope, I know top racers who over bike the bike leg and impacts their ability to run off the bike, even though it is still real fast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

It sure is so much more fun passing these folks on the run. :) And since folks in my AG only get 2 or 3 minutes into T2 ahead of me, not hard to catch them on the run.
Will see if this works at Donner Sunday, since my AG has some killer bikers. This strategy might not work there. :)
Know what's even more fun? Having shorter overall finishing time.

I pass people on the bike all the time but it doesn't mean anything because I'm a lousy swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does the focus always seem to be on the bike, and not the run? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
Actually if he's only running 90 mins a week that's bad advice getting to 1- 90 min run.

It would be far better for him to do 2 20 min runs and a 50 min long run over one slow 90 min run

I have just playing with him to get him to run more, and LSD pace. He always wants to run at a 6 mpm pace.
I asked him when he runs slow and he said never.

My 3 runs a week are all 90 minute, LSD stuff. But, I have 1000 feet of hill climbing for strength. I am amazed how few folks do hills
in their run training. So this approach seems to have worked okay for me with my run race times.

I was reading an article the other day from Jesse Thomas that really, IMO, made the point for me. He said he did not like to train with AGer's because
they go too slow on the fast stuff, and too fast on the slow stuff. He then had a table of his SBR training, his fast days and his slow days and it really hit home. Because of this,
it seemed my recover bike rides of 193 watts was way too high, so I have now kicked them down to 140 watts and will see how this impacts my racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the question is this.

Do you know their background? Do you know their strengths and weaknesses?

Just because they struggle on the run doesn't mean they aren't working on it, have bad run training etc. Could it be that they simply play to their strength and hope to limit their weakness?

Do I think people over bike? Yes I do but I know for some at the front of the race, they have to "over bike" (which you think they are doing because of slower run times) in order to put them in the best position.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Jul 18, 16 10:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next