Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels?
Quote | Reply
Specialized have the 321; but will ship with CLX64 front and rear
And the P5D ships with Enve 5.6
You can argue that wheels are more versatile; but the P5D comes with a UFO ceramic speed chain which is the definition of a race chain....so the spec seems ‘confused’
It seems strange to me that the most expensive spec is not the quickest spec and customers are expected to have to swap wheels out themselves (or get LBS to)
How hard would it be for Cervelo to have a P5D Di2 which a Enve 7 in front and a SES Disc in rear? Even if its a super halo model....
Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because not everyone wants a disc wheel and no one rides a disc everyday. It would be pretty dumb to spec a bike with only a race setup for wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I agree with this and would offer a disc spec.

I don't think that many people will be being a P5D or top-end Shiv as an everyday ride. These bikes are race bikes and race bikes of a calibre where a disc becomes a logical option. That means spec the bike with a disc for a few hundred extra dollars (its not like the wheels currently on their aren't top spec) and give the consumer an option to spend a bit more on a cheap set of training wheels or forcing the consumer to spend $2k+ on a new disc-disc. If I had the money to spend I would want the disc option but then again if I had the money I probably wouldn't actually care.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because people that buy those kind of bikes can usually afford to buy it addtionally to the 'normal wheels' on it? Plus you can't ride a disc wheel in Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it can't be ridden in Kona that way.

Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you think that? I have a p5-6 and I train on it all the time. I would never want it to come with a disc wheel. That would be crazy. Also I want to pick my race wheels not have Cervelo do it for me.

Cervelo can put complete crap wheels on it stock and I’d be fine with it. Most people spending that kind of money aren’t going to race on what the stock wheels are anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok; but the Enve 5.6 it comes with are neither fish nor fowl....
Not the wheels most would want to race on; and also very expensive training wheels !

I would rather buy it ex wheels; or if I had to have wheels then get 7 front and a Disc Disc rear
Then I can buy cheap training wheels....

But who does the 5.6 serve?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It serves all the people that bitched about having cheap training wheels on the bike for that price. I’d you go back and look at some of the comments about the p5-6. People we’re complaining that for the price point, you got junk wheels compared to some of the other manufactures. So it looks like Cervelo fixed that with better wheels. So now the compliant is they are too good of wheels for training wheels. They can’t win.

I agree from the standpoint they should just put cheapish training wheels on them. But that wasn’t the response they got last time when they did it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
Ok; but the Enve 5.6 it comes with are neither fish nor fowl....
Not the wheels most would want to race on; and also very expensive training wheels !

I would rather buy it ex wheels; or if I had to have wheels then get 7 front and a Disc Disc rear
Then I can buy cheap training wheels....

But who does the 5.6 serve?

So you are probably a good candidate for the frameset only option. Probably spec it better than their full bike option, for less money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
It serves all the people that bitched about having cheap training wheels on the bike for that price. I’d you go back and look at some of the comments about the p5-6. People we’re complaining that for the price point, you got junk wheels compared to some of the other manufactures. So it looks like Cervelo fixed that with better wheels. So now the compliant is they are too good of wheels for training wheels. They can’t win.

I agree from the standpoint they should just put cheapish training wheels on them. But that wasn’t the response they got last time when they did it.

I don't think he was saying that as "crap wheels vs nice wheels" but "5.6 vs 7.8." I also think 7.8 would make more sense if they are going to spec Enve.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does new P5D and upcoming Shiv ship without Disc disc wheels? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

I don't think he was saying that as "crap wheels vs nice wheels" but "5.6 vs 7.8." I also think 7.8 would make more sense if they are going to spec Enve.

It’s all the same answer. People complained about crap wheels before. Cervelo put better wheels on. They can’t put 7.8s on because most people can’t handle those as every day wheels. Two deep wheels for most people are a handful daily compared to a deep front and a disk or vs the 5.6. So they tried to give something most people could ride on and be comfortable.

It’s not gonna be perfect for everyone, but you can easily sell them as new takeoffs or talk to your LBS about a swap in wheels they may have an option since they’re still new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly no right answer; and I agree you can buy your own race wheels later - but would be nice to be able to access Cervelos OE pricing at the same time as purchase !
That Ceramic Speed UFO chain and OSPW is hellish expensive; Cervelo probably pay cents on the dollar
Same as Specialized and the Ceramic Speed BB they spec on every S-Works frame and bike - how much you think that costs them?!

And this is just two recent examples; Scott used to do with 808 wheels when they could have specc’ed a Super 9 etc

It’s dreamland I know but a cool solution would be that the halo bike comes in 3 flavours Di2 (A) Di2 (B) and Di2 (C)
A is cheap Alu beaters
B is 5.6/7.8
C is race rocket no holds barred

More SKU’s but reality is its only one item being changed
And the price delta from B to C will likely be low; much lower than customers could do themselves - so would become a competitive advantage for the brands willing to make the investment in this choice

I can dream !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We offered a rear disc option, and the number of customers that chose it were too low for us to continue doing so.
Money talks.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a reason almost no bikes come spec'd that way. fredly gave you a case in point.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very few people think like a STer.

When you get to the pointy end of the people with disposable income, a lot of them just want to drop their AMEX Black card and buy the coolest bike available. They aren't all walking in with their stack and reach numbers, or looking to replace the stock wheels, tires and tubes immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t get me wrong I don’t have any disc brake wheels and the better setup probably would be 808/disc oem if I bought one. I just get why they’re doing it this way.
Quote Reply