Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do you shave? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wax is the way to go. The women that do it know how to do it quickly and correctly. Lasts a heck of a lot longer than shaving. No stubble feel when it grows back. And it was only weird the first couple of times.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [triathgain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My post would have been better if the pic I tried to attach would have worked.
I'm 6'4 300 lbs with afoot long beard. Hence the back of pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
As a teenager back in the 70's I would ski barefoot in my ski boots, for better feel of the snow. One pair of boots I had, had leather liners. Every nice to ski in. Well, the hairs of my legs would go into the pores in the leather and when I'd turn, the hairs would get ripped out. I could wait for them to get ripped out or I could pre-emptively shave them off. I shaved up to the top of my boots. I got lotsa grief from guys in gym class, but as a pro skier I got all the girls. It was easy to put up with the comments from my buddies.
Later I got into cycling and got back to shaving because it was the done thing. Swimming for tri got me shaving to my speedo line (no-one looks good in a budgie smuggler with hairy bike shorts all the way to shaved lower legs. Full leg it is then.
Then I was under the care of a cardiologist and those little chest stickers ripped out the hairs, and my wife and kids laughed at the patchwork chest hair, so that got taken off too.
Actually, I'm a wimp, and with plenty of scars over my body, I use depilatory cream instead of shaving and nicking all my scars.
I gave up tri a few years ago, but as TriSpouse prefers the smooth look, I've kept doing it. Besides, it's easier to shave than to train :-)
I go smooth, not for speed, massage easier or easier road rash recovery, I go smooth because it makes me feel pretty and wifey likes it.

Wait do you mean you only shaved your feet, ankles and shins? xD

How does the depilatory cream work for you? I hear it stinks like crazy. And does the hairlessness last very long?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathgain wrote:
tridork wrote:
As a teenager back in the 70's I would ski barefoot in my ski boots, for better feel of the snow. One pair of boots I had, had leather liners. Every nice to ski in. Well, the hairs of my legs would go into the pores in the leather and when I'd turn, the hairs would get ripped out. I could wait for them to get ripped out or I could pre-emptively shave them off. I shaved up to the top of my boots. I got lotsa grief from guys in gym class, but as a pro skier I got all the girls. It was easy to put up with the comments from my buddies.
Later I got into cycling and got back to shaving because it was the done thing. Swimming for tri got me shaving to my speedo line (no-one looks good in a budgie smuggler with hairy bike shorts all the way to shaved lower legs. Full leg it is then.
Then I was under the care of a cardiologist and those little chest stickers ripped out the hairs, and my wife and kids laughed at the patchwork chest hair, so that got taken off too.
Actually, I'm a wimp, and with plenty of scars over my body, I use depilatory cream instead of shaving and nicking all my scars.
I gave up tri a few years ago, but as TriSpouse prefers the smooth look, I've kept doing it. Besides, it's easier to shave than to train :-)
I go smooth, not for speed, massage easier or easier road rash recovery, I go smooth because it makes me feel pretty and wifey likes it.

Wait do you mean you only shaved your feet, ankles and shins? xD

How does the depilatory cream work for you? I hear it stinks like crazy. And does the hairlessness last very long?

LOL. I never shaved my feet. While I'm a New Zealander, I don't have Hobbit feet. I'd shave from my ankle bone up to mid/upper calf. Where ski boots go.

The cream works great. There is a smell but it's not that bad in my opinion. I find it quicker and safer so I go that route. Back when I raced, I'd do it every 2 weeks. for normal training I'd go 3 weeks and a couple of times I'd go as long as 4 weeks. Note however that I have blonde, nearly invisible body hair (chest hair is very light brown) so even when it grows out, it's not really noticeable. If you have darker hair, you will probably want to go with a 2 week rotation.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't use to shave but I do now for a number of reasons.

A couple years ago I went boom skiiiiiiiid Oh the PAIN. Ripping out fresh leg hairs to change my bandages every day just plain sucked.

While the video is highly debated, Specialized showed that even with moderate hair there is a difference made in TT and Triathlon style wind tunnels. That's an easy couple seconds.

As much as I hate this part... It makes my legs look awesome and muscular, and feels nice in the sheets.

Suncreen goes on easy, and the wind feels nice and cool on my hairless legs.

Everybody is doing it man.

Typically I shave once a week in the summer and only up to the shorts tan line. Shave my arms before a race (hey free theoretical speed), and I stop shaving come late September when the weather turns cool in New England. I'll probably start shaving again come late April early May. The thing is once you do it once you have to keep up on it or it gets itchy. So IMO put it off as long as possible, and end it when you no longer receive benefit. Or else you'll go through razors like crazy.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always epilated. Usually do it a week before my first race and it typically lasts 1 month+ before hairs start to show again. So I may do it 2-3 times during race season. Takes about 20 minutes to go from chest to arms to feet. It's really not that painful if you have a good device. A hard trainer ride is FAR more painful (and longer). Granted, there are areas that are off limits (crotch, underarms) but it works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
I've always epilated. Usually do it a week before my first race and it typically lasts 1 month+ before hairs start to show again. So I may do it 2-3 times during race season. Takes about 20 minutes to go from chest to arms to feet. It's really not that painful if you have a good device. A hard trainer ride is FAR more painful (and longer). Granted, there are areas that are off limits (crotch, underarms) but it works for me.

What device do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

A couple years ago I went boom skiiiiiiiid Oh the PAIN. Ripping out fresh leg hairs to change my bandages every day just plain sucked.

While the video is highly debated, Specialized showed that even with moderate hair there is a difference made in TT and Triathlon style wind tunnels. That's an easy couple seconds.

As much as I hate this part... It makes my legs look awesome and muscular, and feels nice in the sheets.

Typically I shave once a week in the summer and only up to the shorts tan line. Shave my arms before a race (hey free theoretical speed), and I stop shaving come late September when the weather turns cool in New England. I'll probably start shaving again come late April early May. The thing is once you do it once you have to keep up on it or it gets itchy. So IMO put it off as long as possible, and end it when you no longer receive benefit. Or else you'll go through razors like crazy.

I saw the video in the OP post, but couldn't find the Specialized one - link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's called the Emjoi or something like that. It has more "tweezers" than the others so that seems to make it hurt less and increase its accuracy. Works great for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what the link was I think I just YouTube'd it.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

I'll co-sign on everything except thepart when you keep hair during winter! i fucking hate body hair!!! except for my eyeborws/lashes and scalp i'd love to be hairless! also i dont shave, i use my clippers... i get way too many ingrowing hairs if i shave

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Nair Shower Power for many years. Works like a charm on the arms/legs. Yes, it will stink the house up! It indeed has a very very strong smell! And you need to be careful around the sensitive areas.

But for me, I apply (using the glove) and between 15-20 minutes later hop in the shower with a course washrag and it easily rubs right off. Smooth as can be! Super cheap and never had an infection.

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple for me, I can't grow a decent beard and no I do not shave my legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im not a very hairy guy but I do clipper the chest (makes me look more muscular) and the ladies love it.

I also like leaving my wolf butt hair because it traps air bubbles and is like wearing float shorts in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, just for me:

I keep a beard. I trim it 2x a week. I use mostly only a trimmer for that.

When it is hot outside, I start going to town on the pit hair, leg hair, and will reduce the "height" of the arm hair mess. I'm not Chewbacca, but it's annoying in the summer. Especially trying to sleep as we use fans and save on the a/c in our house a lot. I just use a multi-trimmer thingy. I keep the arm hair at a socially acceptable level between a comfort level for heat and too-short weird.

Legs? Draw a line of demarcation a few inches above your tan line, shave below and trimmer above.

Varying opinions on that one, aero, part of cycling elegance, show off your man guns, or for sanitary reasons if you crash.

The last one, if you crash, was brought up in detail in the Phil Gaimon books. About how if you don't shave and have nasty road rash, the cleanup and post-crash healing can be totally worse with long leg hair.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how would one - if not wanting to wax or go full Bic razor - clipper what appears to be the back of a large black wolf in between the butt cheeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you shave? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else get a bad red rash and bumps after shaving the chest? It looks awful. Legs and arms I can shave and get maybe a few minor dots and ingrowns but the chest does not look pretty afterwards.

Also my wife hates me shaving my legs because the regrowth is so spiky. Is regrowth from cream any softer?
Quote Reply

Prev Next