Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs??
Quote | Reply
Ok I know not all guys do it, but a pretty large percentage of guys in the cycling and multisport world do, I was just wondering if it was vanity or an attempt at making themselves more aero :P....so what your reasononing?
Last edited by: r1willyc: Feb 22, 08 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [r1willyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road rash.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [r1willyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're all gay.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We like the chicken-leg look ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because everyone else does it.

That's a really good question and I'm suprised it's never been asked before.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Hamner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We're all gay.
no no no im not tring to imply anything like that....my fiance asked me y i do it and i was like...well...because everyone else does...i had no other explanation.....as for the road rash response...what is the thought behind that?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Hamner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey sweetie....how you doin?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [wcaruso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because The Womens love smooth muscular legs!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [wcaruso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
We're all gay. [/reply]
...i had no other explanation.....as for the road rash response...what is the thought behind that?[/reply]

lol, Cervelo, Ironman branded races and Gatorade all welcome you to their flock. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No no....the only answer is that we are gay, or in the closet and dont know it yet.

Do a freaking Google search...it will prove, we are gay.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dont ask, just get on the bandwagon and do it

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I resisted for a couple of years and then wiped out once and knew I had to do it once I healed up.
Funny though, my kids were all wierded out about it until they saw all the shaved legs at an Ironman.

NOW, I really like the way it feels against my wife's shaved legs...kind of erotic.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so the answer is because we like to look at our own legs and were just following the pack?? LMAO
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
dont ask, just get on the bandwagon and do it
done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For that matter, why no M-dot razors yet? I said it first, so it's my idea!

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so the answer is because we like to look at our own legs and were just following the pack?? LMAO

Yes, that is correct. No "lmao" was necessary, because it is a fact, not a joke.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 main reasons (and "aerodynamics" aren't one of them).

First is the constant wearing of lycra, speedos, socks etc. rubs the damn hair off and hurts anyway. There is some that have a better "feel" for the water and improved "hydrodynamics", but I'm not sure about that (perhaps for the really hairy guys it likely does matter some - forget that we are usually in a wetsuit).

But mostly, for road rash. If you cycle enough, you will experience this (usually yearly at a minimum). My fork broke recently and I had some pretty decent road rash - sure a lot easier to scrub the dirst out and take care of with dressings after the whirlpool without hair. A lot more sanitary - we shave all surgical sites for this reason as well.

Having said all that - most do it to "fit in" or look the part. Does feel weird at first, but I've had no hair for so long, I don't even remember! (other than my horroro doing it for the first time and wondering "where do I stop?") LOL!

edit: Ooh - the other poster reminded me: does make leg massages MUCH better (since you will get them more often) as well!

Last edited by: rroof: Feb 22, 08 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have yet to have a bad fall...but im sure its just time....but i see your point
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll presume you are joking. If it has not been asked on ST, that's because it's been asked every three days on beginnertriathlete.com or one of those road bike forums. The short of it:

1) Noticeable hydrodynamic benefit, but you'll be looking to shave the whole body for this.
2) Very marginal aerodynamic benefit, but free speed is free speed. How much do people pay to get Zedtech wheels? I'd put $200 on the line that there is more aero benefit to shaved legs than a dimpled hub.
3) Easier to clean when wounded.
4) Looks. Who doesn't want to show off those ripped calves and bulging quads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you crash and get road rash, or rather WHEN you crash and get road rash, having hairless legs makes the cleaning of the wound and healing process infinitely less painful. Basically, when you are cleaning dirt and gravel out of your shredded flesh, it comes out easily if there is no hair. One bad crash and you will understand. I would much rather deal with the teasing by society for shaving them then the aftermath or a major crash with hairy legs.

That is the main reason I do it, but other reasons I've heard is that it makes reduces chaffing, makes massages better, more aerodynamics, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Alejandro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well thanks all when my fiance ridicules me next time at least ill have something to fight back with :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vanity, mostly. In addition to the other reasons mentioned, shaved legs make it slightly quicker to apply sunscreen and Body-Glide. With race preparations already hectic, every little bit helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought y'all shaved your legs so you could be cool like swimmers.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next