Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why are there no 172.5mm mtb cranks?
Quote | Reply
I posted this on mtbreview but wanted to knoe if anyone here has the answer. I ride 172.5mm on my road bike. Should I go with 170mm for my mtb? I'm borrowing a mtb with 175mm and what a difference! I'm just getting into it and its a blast.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there no 172.5mm mtb cranks? [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible to get 172.5, but only the most expensive (cost more than my offroad bike).

I use 172.5 on my road bike and 175 on offroader. It's terrible, but I'm hoping the big arms will make my hips more flexible. It feels like I have a perfect "round" pedalling style when moving back to my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, no, no, the real question is: why are there no 177.5 mm MB cranks (at least from Japan)? if anyone knows someone who makes 'em, let me know...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you just used a Shimano 105 road triple crankset with 172.5 on your MTB. You would have to use the road bolt pattern chainrings, but with the right selection of rear cassette, you should be able to achieve all the gearing you need. The only downside is a larger gear at the top end than you may find on your regular MTB, but this should still do the trick.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there no 172.5mm mtb cranks? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for all of you...

On identical bikes except for crank length, could you actually tell the difference between 172.5 and 175 by riding each one after the other?

I doubt if I could.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there no 172.5mm mtb cranks? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XTR makes 177.5 and so does older 5 arm XT.

I've got some Zipp 177.5 arms.

very scary!

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there no 172.5mm mtb cranks? [JustCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On identical bikes except for crank length, could you actually tell the difference between 172.5 and 175 by riding each one after the other?
Quote Reply