Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why am I so sore after NOT running?
Quote | Reply
I took three days off running (mistake) last week mostly due to schedule conflicts and some half-hearted attempt at tapering for Ironman New Zealand.

I did a very short run yesterday (30:00) and today I am pretty darn sore and stiff.

What the heck? Any ideas?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I so sore after NOT running? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds as if you went to zero training during those three days. My guess is that you have some waste product build-up. Even twenty to thirty minutes of light spinning on an indoor trainer during one or more of those three days (even in jeans) may have helped "flush" your muscles.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that on those occasions when I take a little time of for a rest or a relatively minor injury, I almost always find myself feeling worse while NOT working out than when I was... the nagging little aches and pains seem almost worse after three days or so than they had before.

The thing is, I am sure that those occasional down times are necessary to stay solid and healthy in the long run (so to speak). And almost invariably, a few days back into the swing of my workouts, I get the kinks worked out and feel much better for the break. My guess is that is what will happen with you.

It also sounds like your "rest" was pretty hectic. You may be physically and emotionally "behind the curve" a little bit simply due to the fact that your time off was still pretty stressful.

Best wishes in the upcoming race and for the entire season.

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I so sore after NOT running? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was still riding and swimming, I just hadn't run.

I haven't had a massage in two weeks. That's a problem.

I seem to have aches and pains a lot. My mattress sucks and I'm 42 with a long history of injuries.

That's probably the primary contributing factor. I think there is some truth to what you;re saying though. The run specific muscles had just gone to sleep over those three days.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I seem to have the same problem you've had.

I think I've got it down to a few possible causes. First, I thought it had to do with me not having a very ncie bike, but this isn't the case for you.

Second, I thought it just had something to do with getting frequent massages. That doesn't seem to fit you either, though.

The only similarity between myself and yourself seems to be the apperent lack of significant other.

So if I were to sucessfully diagnose this, I'd say you suffer from missingfemalecompainionidius. I'm going to go out on a limb here and writeing you a prescription for some mesaGoDatin'linium. take twice a week and check back with me in a month.
Last edited by: Ze Gopha: Feb 22, 04 21:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a regular stretching program part of your regular work outs? If not, incorporte stretching and it could make a huge difference. Flexibility is just as important of a fitness component as anything else, but it's amazing how many athletes ignore this.

I've been doing regular stretching and yoga exercises for 25 yrs now (I'm 52), normally about 20-30 minutes most days. I may not be fast, but at least I've got flexibility better than many people in their 20's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this isn't something people with cycling background all have...
when I taper, I feel stalled, lack of energy etc...stop running for 2 days and feel terrible...talked with other ex-bikers and they seem to experiment the same things.
I remember that when cycling, tapering for a race on saturday was a long 200-220km bike ride on wednesday...usually with some intensity, and it usually worked well (in cycling, not in tri)
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I so sore after NOT running? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Francois,

I got used to doing long race after long race in Europe and racing at least Olympic distance every weekend here in the U.S.

Any kind of layoff kicks my butt. That reminds me. I have to go running.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just banged out a hard 6 miler and felt awesome. The soreness is gone and I was flying. No effort. Felt great.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other reason this happens, is if you do a lot of downhills, especially steeper ones. The eccentric contractions (lengthening a muscle under contraction, like negative lifts)) involved in downhill running are notorius for causing soreness, especially if you haven't been doing a lot of it.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply