Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike?
Quote | Reply
OK here is the scenario I am in. I have a 8 year old Cannondale Slice that is really a 12 year old frame design. Its slow relative to what is out there but it was still fast enough for Chrissie Wellington to go sub 8:20 in Roth. I had a P3 after that which was decently fast in its day, but sold that in 2015 when I stopped doing triathlon. I started doing tris again in 2019 and was thinking about getting a new bike in 2020 and then Covid19 hit.

Every time I go to hit "submit" on buying a new TT bike I stop because I can ride in the exact same position on the old bike as anything I will buy. I likely cannot get into any Mdot races next year (seems to all be sold out due to deferrals) or likely no events where I want to go fast enough to qualify for ITU Worlds because who knows if that even happens.

So with no path to go to ITU Worlds, 70.3 Worlds or Kona and doing local races only, the marginal gains of a new bike seems like it is not worth spending on (in local racing, I pretty well know the guys who will beat me in my age group and the guys who I can beat....the bike won't make a dent in our placements)

I have thought about getting a Kickr Bike or a gravel bike (the latter just to be able to ride on bad roads or bike touring without worry) given that it may be a few years to being able to do races where I need to worry about my speed. And if I do get into any Mdot racing or path to ITU worlds, I do have a functional bike anyway, may just be a few minutes slower over 90km.

I'll probably just watch the second hand market at the peak of Covid19 second wave for when people retire from triathlon. What do you all think and what are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what you've written... I'd buy a low-mid tier gravel bike and keep riding the slice.

but of course n+1 is the true answer... so buy the kickr bike, a gravel bike and a new tri bike.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite not races, in general the bike market seems ā€œhotā€.

I bought my road bike for $1850 on sale in 2016. I saw a used one listed for $1700 the other day.

I am waiting for normalization and folks to come out of Covid and do their first races. Then hunt for what equipment gets dropped after the races.

I have a 2008 DA. I love my fit. It has a Tririg brake and modern open mold aerobar, extensions, and aero stem. There is maybe 2 inches of exposed mech cable.

Shrug. If I had the money I would. I donā€™t. I am hunting the discontinued PlanetX TT bike. It has a UK TT scene cult following making the hunt difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'll probably just watch the second hand market at the peak of Covid19 second wave for when people retire from triathlon. What do you all think and what are you doing?

That's an interesting thought. When do people "get out" of triathlon? I wonder if next spring might be the time - people that haven't done much training in a year, but know what it will take to get back to where they're happy, and decide they ain't that person anymore.

Hopefully, next spring is not the peak of the 2nd wave.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I am doing. Prices on the second hand market seem to be falling every day. I've got a 2012 frame P3 (built up in 2019), so I don't "really" need anything (perhaps another road bike because why not), but if there is a good deal to be had, why not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go for the gravel bike in a heart beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2012 Transition with the original Flo Wheels. Good enough in 2012 and good enough now.

On the other hand, I have replaced my road bike twice in that time, not because the aluminum Alez or the Roubaix got slow, but because I wore them out and didn't trust the frames. The current Roubaix has 12,000 miles on it and will be up for a trade in pretty soon.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a P3 after that which was decently fast in its day, but sold that in 2015 when I stopped doing triathlon.

I don't know about the Slice, but the P3 before all the Super Bikes was the Gold Standard - and compared to all the newer bikes, it's no dog from what I understand. For those riding P3's - Sure you can get a SLIGHTLY more aerodynamic frame with some of the newer Super Bikes, but there is A LOT you can do with all the other variables that will have much bigger collective impact - position, helmet, wheels, tires, optimizing carry and storage, socks*, etc . . .

As for that OTHER bike that a Triathlete should have - I've been saying this for YEARS, it should be one of these true All-Rounders, that right now the choice has never been better for. That you can ride and race in Gran Fondo, the weekly Road Club "World Championships", and take on a bit of gravel and light trail action.

* World Class Pursuit rider and short TT expert Dan Bigham told me back in Sept. when I interviewed him for my daily Talk Show during the Tour de France, that those aero socks, that you see many of the World Tour riders wearing now, are worth 3 - 4 watts!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 25, 20 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bitten the bullet on a new rig to make most of the end of season sale, but took me a while to hit the buy button.

I took time out from triathlons in 2014/15 due to time constraints and child fatigue, did a few sprints up until this year when I decided to do a middle distance, using that as a gauge as to whether or not I wanted to go "all in" again or not. Enjoyed it so fully back in the game. I've been working on my position on my plasma 4 and ultimately needed more reach. I also wanted di2 (I don't have a road bike so all road miles on the plasma and bull horn shifters would make a big difference) and some nicer wheels than the open moulds I have. By the time I'd sorted these out I was well on the way to the cost of a new bike anyway. Like you was I was thinking about whether it was a justifiable outlay. I then thought F it, i could have an accident in a few years and not be able to ride, so enjoy it whilst I can. Not my saying but if you can afford it, life is too short not to the ride the bike you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder the same.. or more or less why I have a dedicated TT bike at all.

I have an aero superbike and the mfg makes a clip on aerobar. I have a deep front and a full disc that will fit said superbike. I also because of a previous injury limit myself to Olympic distance of less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's becoming difficult for me is how rapidly standards are changing on everything. in barely 5 years we've gone from:

-tubulars suck now, it's back to clinchers
-clinchers suck now, it's back to tubular
-both suck, now it's tubeless
-actually, what about hookless

and that's to say nothing of electronic shifting, disc brakes, BB standards, headset and handlebar standards, and then all the electronic standards (ant+, etc etc). i'm going to end up with a basement full of totally incompatible stuff and no tools to fix any of it.

i'm still riding a 2004 cervelo soloist, believe it or not, because it still mostly meets my needs and doesn't really hold me back as much as training time does. i'd like a new bike, but i need the market to stabilize a least a little. plus, i can still fix my soloist myself. get me onto hydraulic discs, electronic shifting, and etc., and forget it. and taking that bike in and paying local prices for regular servicing is . . . not nothin'.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol, how many times do we need to go through the 'is a new bike worth it' exercise???

Yes, we know everyone's old P4 with a nice handlebar is almost as fast as the latest and greatest.

If you want a new bike and can afford it, then get it. Its that simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I am a financial advisor and every week I have to tell my older clients, who have been good savers, that if they want something at this stage in their life just get it. Dev you and I are around the same age and if you've been a good saver then reward yourself and get a new bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a new tri bike!! Wouldn't you liken the 12 year old frame more aligned with today's entry level tri bike frame considering the amount of research and design that has gone into the new frame designs with more focus on wind tunnel testing for aero dynamics as well as integration. If sold today that 12 year old slice would be within the entry level bike category of today. Now it certainly depends on which level bike you would purchase but unless you completely overhaul and maintain your slice, as with any older model bike, it will slow over time from the grit and grime and wear and tear unless you have replaced the bottom bracket and bearings and all the cables. Otherwise you will have slower rotation and shifting not to mention the sweat and possible rust within that often goes unnoticed especially if you've spent a great deal of time on the trainer. As for racing, Arizona and Florida have shown promise that racing is going to return, just a bit differently, and has given me hope and optimism toward racing in 2021. As for those races being sold out, there will be plenty of 70.3's and local races that will resurface and there is always a chance to register for a full through a foundation or charity spot so don't give up hope. GO Forth and Boldly Buy that shiny new bike, whether it be a new Canyon, Scott Plasma, Cervelo, Specialized or other carbon fiber, electronic shifting beauty. Spend that $12,000 with a new found hope and glory that it will display proudly on your instagram and facebook posts gleaming breathtakingly in the sunshine of a new year approaching and faster bike splits for all!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I am a financial advisor and every week I have to tell my older clients, who have been good savers, that if they want something at this stage in their life just get it. Dev you and I are around the same age and if you've been a good saver then reward yourself and get a new bike!

Some times life get's in the way and has other ideas!

2020 was supposed to be New Bike Year for me - had a short list of a few true All-Rounders, I was considering. Had some money set aside and ready to pull-the-trigger back in the early spring.

Then COVID19 hit - eliminated almost ALL of my work, and income for a whole year! Poof! Gone! New Bike Year, will now have to be some other year - I hope. Going to have to get through this first! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha....yeah, I agree with all your points.

If I am just going to train, I can do EXACTLY the same thing on an old bike as a new bike (position will be same). I'll just go a touch slower, and if I race local events, it won't even change my placement

If we get to do some of the larger events, that's when it make deltas in placement. But maybe I losing these 8 Covid19 lbs is what I should really focus on!!! That's making me wider and less aero on the bike and its a built in wetsuit of insulation on the run not to mention like wearing an army issued rucksack of weight (since you also have to fuel the extra weight with oxygen, not just carry it)!!!

I like the concept of a new TT bike though, so I'll track the second hand market, while we all watch what happens with racing. If these vaccines actually roll out and the world can get back to normal, maybe even buy "new".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aero "Experts" will agree that bike frames do not make much difference for watts. instead it is position. keep the slice and spend the money on a new aero cockpit and intergrated extensions. you will get way faster than buying that stupid canyon which doesnt allow good TT positions and you will enjoy flying past them on your 10+ year old historic frame lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to put a damper on the fun of a new bike, I would have thought this was a good year to look at all the peripheral equipment.

Starting with a true TT suit, get measured (the English seem to have a lock on that), helmet, shoes, aero socks, gloves, think "trip" suits.

As for the P3, some of the new aerobars are interesting, drink systems and storage options not to mention cleaning up a slightly messy bike (cables etc).

Think of hours of fun you would have doing all that, rather than plonking down a few thousand to gain, what ?, 5-9 watts.

Then, gather a few friends and invest some hours with the gear in a velodrome.
Now that would be cool.

ps Last year I set a lifetime PB (40k) on my ten year old bike, before a Kona debacle :0( . Sometimes it's the engine.
pps sheesh....nearly forgot tube, tubeless, and the rubber options, a ton of fun there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravel bike or a road bike that can at most run 34s. Love my Diverge and Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only real-world difference I can tell from my Ceverlo P2 2009 model, to P3 2015, to my most recent P2 2019 is Stiffness. The carbon frame layups have gotten much Stiffer. I can feel a very slight difference from my '19 vs '15, and a huge difference in both newer bikes versus the '09. The major difference I can feel is when I lay down a burst of power, like at the start of a short Strava segment. On my '09 I could really feel the rear chain stays flex when I put over 400 to 500 watts into the pedals. But on a straightaway, steady state ride I can't really feel a difference. Occasionally on rolling terrain and hills I feel like the stiffness helps direct more power into my forward effort; but it's purely subjective. I'm also a little over 180 pounds so a lighter rider may not experience this, and I fully realize this probably has no effect on long course triathlon Bike rides were the goal is to not spike power/ burn matches.

Oh, and then there's the Fashion, aka: *Bling* perspective. I get bored riding old bland stuff, regardless of performance. There's something that's just amazing about NEW BIKE DAY and getting a new colorway, shiny steed!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
What do you all think and what are you doing?

I don't tie buying a bike to an eventā€”or the possibility of an event in 2021.
Buying a bike is about enjoyment of riding said bike.

COVID has beenā€”and will continue to beā€”wreaking havoc on supply chains and will for months to come.

Depending on the make and model, order now for June fulfillment.

An indoor smart bike like the Kickr bike is just not as versatile as a 2021 Trek Madone SL7ā€”which can also be ridden outdoorsā€”on a Wahoo Kickr.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Nov 25, 20 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy both, life is too short ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford it:

New bike day
New muscle car day
New truck day
New boat day
New ā€œoldā€ bottle of bourbon day.

They are all worth it.

Buy the new Tri-bike if you want it and it doesnā€™t impact your long term financial goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the fence as well with a new gravel bike. As others said, if it won't impact your long term financial plans, just buy it.

Of course that doesn't take into account spousal approval, of course she has to be the reasonable one and say "why can't you just ride your current one?"
Quote Reply
Re: Why Even Bother Getting a New TT bike? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've a Planet X Stealth.
I give you bestest-cousin price šŸ˜œ

(Actually I keep looking at stepping forward 12 or 15 years with a new bike. Then stop because it's still the overweight unfit guy on top that's the problem in the duo.
My only real dilemma is my position on it is on the limit of adjustment with the saddle as far forward as it will go due to the relatively slack seat tube angle - with an Adamo long saddle to get the extra effective forward position from it.
I'm very pro- disc brakes with the UK weather and roads etc. . But not sufficiently so to spend Ā£5k+ to get there).
Quote Reply

Prev Next