Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who won the LTF Triathlon?
Quote | Reply
It's suppose to be broadcasted right now in the US, so who won? No site is giving any updates, and I wanna know!
Last edited by: freestyle: Aug 2, 03 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew! Thanks for reminding me. I forgot it was today.

It doesn't start until 2PM EST, so it doesn't come on for another hour. I'll be out, so I'm taping, but I look forward to watching it later.

Again, thanks for the reminder.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barb Lindquist won with Simon Whitfield second.
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [michaelg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the results Michael! Imagine, the biggest prize purse in the sport and it is no where to be found on the web 5 hours after the finish!

If anyone finds deeper results or details - please post!

Guess we are really spoiled these days... at least we don't have to wait for the Monday sports page results though!
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [michaelg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn, for once i didn't want her to win.
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [ahelee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really thought the nearly 10 minute gap for the men was way too much, but it is hard to argue the results. Apparently the men took places 2 through 8. Barb did a terrific job. Off the front from the beginning of the bike and no one ever even saw her after that. Great race for her.

I always thought Whitfield had nothing to offer in a draft free format. Wrong again.

I can't find the results on the web either.
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top 5 overall from duathlon.com
1. Barb Linquist
2. Simon Whitfield
3. Greg Bennett
4. Bevan Docherty
5. Simon Lessing

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a great race to watch on TV. Very refreshing to see the race in its (almost) entirety. It sure didn't feel like an 1.5 hours watching it.

Barb was incredible. She flew on the bike and never looked back. She looked extremely strong on the run as well, and looked liked she had some still in the tank, not like last year's finish.

Simon was amazing on the run, came out of nowhere and just blew by Lessing on the run. Another mile or so, and he may very well have caught Barb.

Anyone know why it wasn't a full Olympic distance? I think a full distance would make it better. Thoughts?

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [ahelee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the biggest prize purse in the sport and it is no where to be found on the web 5 hours after the finish!"

Let's not kid ourselves. That was not an accident. I'm sure that they controlled media so that people would watch the show. They didn't pay out the huge prize, send out Experience Life magazine for free, and pay for network coverage for nothing. They are trying to build a huge empire around multisport lifestyle, or so it appears to me.

I won't proselytize further, beyond saying that those ediets ads were obnoxious and offensive, and clearly done by the same people who did the eloan ads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walton really seemed to lose a lot on the run. I wonder if that heel injury played a part. He was closer to the women after the swim than he was last year, but the end result was around twice the time gap from 1st Woman to 1st Man.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree the commercials were sad, but would you rather have had no televised coverage at all? i'm really not all that concerned who paid to get it on t.v., i'm just grateful it was there for me to enjoy.

- The Who
Last edited by: sydnrusty: Aug 2, 03 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a similar note, was it just me or did it seem like there were an inordinate amount of breaks during OLN's Tour wrap-up with Lance? Maybe I was just spoiled by the largely commercial free coverage of the race itself.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(the following post is a real question. it is not meant to put anyone down nor cause a debate on the use of cloning in james bond movies.)

how did they come up with the time split? i'm always warry of races like this. barb is like super awsome athlete. big big fan. why have race like this though?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's sad that i actually remember where i read about this, but...

from the october 2002 issue of triathlete magazine:

"...Cooper and his team conducted analyses of 43 other "elite caliber" triathlons, results run on this Minneapolis course from 1986 through 1995, current world records for individual disciplines of swimming, biking and running, and the field in attendance for this 0.75-mile swim, 21.3 mile bike, 4.9 mile run."

to me that sounds pretty much the same as: "we made a good guess".

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... conspiracy theorist, huh? It was live... no media to control.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just trying to suggest a reason why there would be no results for the race online even after it's over, including on the Lifetime Fitness web site, which was still telling me to watch the live coverage (which wasn't live on the East Coast.) after the race ended.

Anyway, when the whole world is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.

Quote Reply
LTF swim question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the swim, I was very surprised to see all women in the first group - except for Taormina - swim to the left of the first orange buoys. Didn't they cut the course???
Quote Reply
Re: LTF swim question [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually the intermediate buoys are for marking purposes only. The ones you have to go around are only the ones on the corners.
Quote Reply
Re: LTF swim question [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I see. Thanks for the answer!
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [Tri-ing in TO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "point" of the triathlon was to have a distance that anyone could do, ie the average joe off the street w/o having to devot their entire life to training, hence, the shorter race, or so it says in triathlete (last months i think?)

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, my guess is that - as in a vast majority of all races - the LFT distances were determined by what's available. Two factors were probably paramount:

1. The run course fits naturally onto a path that circles Lake Nokomis. That path is about 2.45 miles for one circumference. I suppose you could add another 0.65 mile somewhere here or there, but it would be a real jury-rigged affair and would require significantly more resourses to administer. So, if you have to do with a slightly shorter run, it makes sense to adjust the other two legs to maintain a sense of proportion.

2. This is an entirely urban environment, which means a bike course takes amazing resources to [safely] administer. Extending the course to 24.88 miles would require an extension on the parkways to the north of Lake Harriett, and in doing so would cross some additional major streets. It could be done, but it might strain both law enforcement manpower and race budget.

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: Who won the LTF Triathlon? [Lew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lew got it. The run *could* be extended to 10K, but it would mean crossing major streets to get away from the lake. By staying along the lake, there are no street crossings. Plus, the run must stay inside the bike course which also loops around the lake. Back in the '80's the run used to be two full laps for 4.9 miles but now with the huge finish chute which must be set up on the parkway, 0.2 miles have been cut off.

The bike could also be extended. We used to not ride along the Mississippi River at all and use to go further north of Lake Harriet along the west side of Lake Calhoun, and all the way around Lake of the Isles before returning back to Lake Nokomis. But there's been so much development around Lake Calhoun in recent years that a lot more manpower would be required to control the intersections.
Quote Reply