Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who rides a carbon Tri bike?
Quote | Reply
Talking to a guy yesterday about bikes - specifically the Kestrel Talon. He mentioned it was stiff, very comfortable, and a great bike for long events like Ironman.

Is there something to this? If so, how many people here who go 56 or 112 ride carbon as opposed to aluminum?
Quote Reply
Re: Who rides a carbon Tri bike? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've 100+ on steel and on carbon and both have worked well. Of course, tehre is a lot more than just frame material to consider - especially for those long rides. but as a general rule, you can use carbon frames as easily as steel or aluminum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned a lot of bikes.

I'd agree with the assessment that Carbon is probably the finest material for long course racing. I've used my Colnago C40 for 5 Ironmans and will use carbon moving forward.

Light, comfortable, stiff...It's a no-brainer if you find a bike that fits and have the $$$.

The biggest problem with Kestrel is the limited sizes. That's why you see a lot of Trek Carbon at Kona.

Cheers,

Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I Have a Talon. Its been great so far. Ive done several centuries two halfs and just completed a full on it.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Who rides a carbon Tri bike? [ejs in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an Italian C4 Magik Monoque carbon frame. Perfect - combines lateral stiffness with comfort in an incredible way. Much better than my previos alu. 5 years since I had a steel frame, difficult to remember exact, but I think the comfort is equal - but the lateral stiffnes in my C4 is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Corima Fox. I have ridden 100+ miles on it and only my legs were tired, not my back. I love steel for trips of 100+ miles, as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ride a kestrel 500 and find it much more forgiving on the body than aluminum - much smoother ride in every way. in my view performance from bike to bike is very close, thus comfort is the trump card.

sv-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Calfee. Rode 2 half ironmans this year and was in great shape for the run. Looking forward to IMLP next year. Very light, very comfortable, excellent power transfer, custom sizes available. I'm 6'2" 170 and don't notice any lateral flex. You won't find many complaints from Calfee owners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a first generation KM40 (I'm lucky that it fits me) and love the bike. It's stiff where it needs to be and still very confortable.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rode my carbon Trek (road) to 3 IM and my new P2 for one. Cant tell the difference in material to tell the truth, I find them both a bit uncomfortable after 160 km!! Without a doubt I ride fastest on the P2, I think more to do with position/fit than the material itself.