Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes
Quote | Reply
I mean come on! 1 pair? Really....?
Last edited by: Mtbdave: Jun 20, 18 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be like that when I got back into running and felt I couldn't justify the shoe cost (now I am in triathlon spending even more money. . .). Now I typically have 2 pairs for each cycle to wear between runs, then I retire them around 350 give or take and pick up a couple new pairs. In all, counting my retired shoes, I think I have 6. My dog reduced that number by eating a couple.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mtbdave wrote:

Yeah. I was that way once, for about 6 months. Then those shoes got old, and spongy like they do. I bought a new pair, nice and stiff, supportive, etc. And immediately starting having "foot issues". Learned to constantly rotate shoes into and out of rotation, so that I was running on shoes of varying levels of support. Then they become yard work shoes, etc. Then I learned you could save a lot of money by buying "last years model" on overstock sites, and often by buying 2-3 pairs of shoes at a time.

So, now I have a stack of boxes of new shoes waiting for their turn, the shoes in the current rotation, and those that haven't quite made it to the trash...I think I guessed about 6, when I answered the survey. I don't really know the count, because I'm not sure where they all are. They tend to make it into one gear bag or another as a backup set or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the categories: 2-3 and 3-6 might cover the same territory...just a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right here bro. I've got one pair of Supernovas.

I'm a cyclist, not a runner. However, I do fancy doing something to maintain some bone density and be a little more well rounded. You know, in case I get chased by some kind of animal or something.

I'll do some 5k stuff for workouts all the way up to running up to 10 or a 1/2 at a slower pace.

I do have 3 pairs of bike shoes. One road/race, one cheapo mtb with spikes as a cyclocross shoe, one road converted to spd for gravel riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Right here bro. I've got one pair of Supernovas.

I do have 3 pairs of bike shoes.

Same here. Full time swimmer, part (summer) time triathlete. One pair of Brooks to run in. Soon to be retired and replaced, but don't feel I run enough to justify owning more than one serviceable pair at a time. I do have 3 sets of bike shoes, though; a pair of tri shoes with cleats for the Look Keo pedals which are on the tri bike, a pair of Shimano RT82 road-touring shoes with SPD's for "serious riding" on the road bike, and a pair of Shimano CT-71 Commuter shoes for ride-and-walk adventures on the road bike or the old-school (90's era) Specialized mountain bike that's kind of a multi-purpose steed for gravel roads, light trail work, and family vacations.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jun 20, 18 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mtbdave wrote:

I do have only one pair and running is my background. I usually do at least one 4-month running-only training cycle per year.

I've found by trial and error something that is good for my toes - Nike "FreshFoam something". When they die, every 5-6 month I bring them to a local running shoe store and ask for the same thing. At some point Nike will change the naming or discontinue the model, then I'll have to search again.

I'm not sure why would you need many pairs of shoes. May be one more for trails, but I don't do those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mtbdave wrote:

Yep. Me. Voted this morning. I only own 1 pair of shoes that I would currently run in. And I also use them for playing slowpitch and pick up soccer.

I should stipulate that there are 4 pairs in the closet, but 3 of which have been worn to death in succession and been retired to lawn mowing shoes or white water rafting shoes... so I don't count those

The current pair are rapidly heading in that direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:
Mtbdave wrote:

Yep. Me. Voted this morning. I only own 1 pair of shoes that I would currently run in. And I also use them for playing slowpitch and pick up soccer.

I should stipulate that there are 4 pairs in the closet, but 3 of which have been worn to death in succession and been retired to lawn mowing shoes or white water rafting shoes... so I don't count those

The current pair are rapidly heading in that direction.

The poll specifically states:
How many pairs of running shoes do you own right now? New, old, used, unused, racing, training. (Did you see the shoe rack behind Sam Gyde's VASA?).

My interpretation of "old, used" was running shoes in my possession regardless of condition.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 20, 18 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough - I interpreted that as shoes that you would still use for running, regardless of their state and/or intended purpose. (for example: running in hiking boots, I'd count as running shoes. Sneakers where the sole is falling off and used for lawn mowing, not counted)

Going by your intended definition - 4
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
How many pairs of running shoes do you own right now? New, old, used, unused, racing, training. (Did you see the shoe rack behind Sam Gyde's VASA?).

My interpretation of "old, used" was running shoes in my possession regardless of condition.

By that count I have three pairs of asics: one pair I actually run in, one for the beach, and one for the lawn

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

By that count I have three pairs of asics: one pair I actually run in, one for the beach, and one for the lawn

Glad I wasnt the only one then. Should have mentioned "New, Old, Used, Unused, No longer used for running, Racing, Training"
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here. one pair that I actually run in.

I have 2 pairs of lawnmower / camping / painting shoes with holes in the uppers and soles falling off, and a pair of cross-trainers that are for casual walking around. But only one pair that I could actually run in.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with only owning 1 pair of running shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...And when you receive an offer for 50% off because of a website glitch for your favorite running shoes, one takes the opportunity to stock up. Four pair trail shoes new in box, two pair in rotation (may not dry before the next day's trail adventure), one pair race flats, two pair road/pavement shoes (again depending upon season and shoe rotation, a wet pair may not be dry the next day), two pair higher cushion shoes for pavement (rotating those out, not thrilled with them, already worn out), one trail pair worn out for running but used to walk the dog, another worn pair for yard work. Soon trying a higher cushion trail shoe for a race this fall where both characteristics may come in handy. Two more pair mid cushion trail shoe that I tried, that were okay/meh and now spare in the suv for emergencies or whatever, and pair of spikes. Still have an old but like new pair of gortex Nike Pegasus lying around somewhere. Four pairs of cycling shoes which include waterproof ones.

I've been downsizing and minimizing work and casual wardrobe for efficiency, black boots, shoes, that work for multiple options because I also hate shopping for that stuff. Yet running shoes and outdoor jackets, I have a problem. Especially since I hit the Columbia/mtn hardware employee store each time I get a pass. Outerwear I justify as we have every type of weather there is.

Is there a twelve step for this?
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madonebug wrote:

Is there a twelve step for this?

I'm sure there is...I just don't agree with step 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with having only one pair of shoes.

I have one pair of trainers (just ordered a second pair because they were 50% off). I do 98% of my runs in these. The other 2% - brick runs and actual races, I wear flats.

I don't understand the "need" to have an uptempo shoe for faster running. I just wear my trainer shoe. Maybe it's holding me back?

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The poll is poorly written. If you have 3 pair, in which bucket do you fall? 2-3 o r 3-6?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, depending on how you count, one or three.

If you're talking about active runners - just one, always and for decades.
The other two are old runners now retired to lawn/soccer/kayak fishing duty.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
The polls are usually poorly written.

Fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LundyLund wrote:
Nothing wrong with having only one pair of shoes.

I have one pair of trainers (just ordered a second pair because they were 50% off). I do 98% of my runs in these. The other 2% - brick runs and actual races, I wear flats.

I don't understand the "need" to have an uptempo shoe for faster running. I just wear my trainer shoe. Maybe it's holding me back?

Supposedly there is some research that indicates alternating shoes reduces the risk of injury. I'm not making any claims here, that's just what I've read, and why I typically have 2 different brands I rotate through.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - thanks. Thankfully, I've never been injured (running for 10 years now), and I'd like to keep that streak going. So is the key having different brands, or is it more important to have different types of shoes (or something else)? If you have a link to something I can read, that'd be great.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you google "rotating shoes injury prevention" there are a lot of articles that pop up

The top result is a runner's world article that claims rotating models reduced injury risk by 39%

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20820451/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk/

Again I'm not making any claims or suggesting you follow this advice, but I have heard this pretty consistently in articles/literature and on this forum

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be me. Why do I need more than one pair? I wear them until they are worn. Get a new pair. Repeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
The poll is poorly written. If you have 3 pair, in which bucket do you fall? 2-3 o r 3-6?

see my comment above yours.
Quote Reply

Prev Next