Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does force you to smooth out your pedal stroke, that's for sure. They can be bouncy, but only if you chop away at the pedals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... someone is conspicuously absent from this thread. C'mon, are you afraid to admit you still ride a Softride? ;-)

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate you guys as I just checked the Bike Exchange website here in Oz and there is a '95 Solo for sale,"race ready" for $400AUS...That would be perfect for my "Old School" tribute at IMC next year...Now really want it..

---
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
Hmmm... someone is conspicuously absent from this thread. C'mon, are you afraid to admit you still ride a Softride? ;-)

Hells no if I had still had my Softride I'd be sporting two things: a boner and a picture of the bike.

There is a Rocket on my CraigsList, but it's way overpriced. Dude won't budge an inch and it has been on there for the better part of a year it makes me drool
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 19, 12 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I hate you guys as I just checked the Bike Exchange website here in Oz and there is a '95 Solo for sale,"race ready" for $400AUS...That would be perfect for my "Old School" tribute at IMC next year...Now really want it..

---

If you have a hair on your ass you will buy it - but it is not a Cervelo with Di2 - no way you can even finish.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still riding a Softride Powerwing. Mostly just for races these days and I stocked up on some extra parts for the beam a few years back. Love the smooth ride, especially on the chip seal roads they have in places in Texas. Just a very comfortable ride and still my fastest bike when paired with a disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
I'd love to see some pics. I had an original Zipp with the Allsop beam briefly, then I got a deal on a Softride. I so wish I'd never sold either.

Please feel free to show me your super duper beam bike!

Any excitement regarding the bike T.J Tollakson is pushing the production on?

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/...-bike-t-j-tollakson/

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At that price point? Never. *If* it turned out to be any faster than a 12-15 year old Rocket TT it wouldn't be by much. I'm all for him doing it and hope he can make a fortune at it, but @ $12 grand I will sit by and watch others.

He seems like a really neat guy, totally dig the fact he doesn't care what others think just does what works for him.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 19, 12 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2. $12,000 is almost insultingly expensive to me, might as well buy two Calfees.

http://www.youtube.com/...WOuGQuuTdgM&lr=1

Maybe he didn't realize he didn't have the market as isolated. Or maybe they'll sell anyway.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read the text the $12K is with an SRM and top of the line components.

Perhaps TJ can get on this thread and let us know how much we can buy his beam bike for with ultegra and no powermeter (did I actually say that on ST...I may as well has said that I also want to ride it with 35 mm touring gatorskins, but Jack's not around to beat up on that statement)!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found someone in Kona that has this one for $500....this would make the perfect commuter! Heck it's probably just as fast at a P5!

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 19, 12 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked into purchasing the assets of Softride at one point, and you might be surprised how little they were asking for it (for some reason the $300K mark was sticking in my brain). One of the problems is that they still own the rights to the name Softride, which is being used for their bike racks.

I eventually gave up on the idea, but thought that with carbon technology where it is today, you could make a carbon frame and use an aluminum or ti beam (to reduce some of the fatigue issues with the carbon ones). There is a guy in Australia or New Zealand I think who makes a Softride similar frame.

I miss mine too, that bike made riding long distance tolerable :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Softride small sitting in my basement...rode it for 2 years until I got a tri bike and never rode it again since 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a rocket tt and i love it! i don't use it very much as i'm trying to make it last:) i bought up some parts on-line when i heard that they were going to stop making the frames:( can't understand it. all of my friends who have/had softrides absolutely loved them. why stop making them? i use my tt for anything 1/2 im and shorter and i love how responsive it is. with my zipp 404's on it's a very fast bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that exact bike sitting in my basement right now! It is one that my dad rode in 3 IM's back in the day. Soft ride power v and he loved it! In the same collection, I also have a mint condition 1991 kestrel 200sc full dura ace! I will post a pic if I get a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at this gorgeous beast I found on the googles.[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bounciness makes you smooth out your pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awsome! Maybe I do have the money. I'm signing up for a welding class this fall. That's unrelated but It might give me something to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Timsmu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah.....your dad has good taste. I rode IMC 1991 on a Kestrel 200 SC. Kestrel replaced, it in 2000 for free as it had a crack in the frame. I now have that bike as my trainer bike.....22 seasons ago I spent some money on the 200 SC and I am still using it.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
I'd love to see some pics. I had an original Zipp with the Allsop beam briefly, then I got a deal on a Softride. I so wish I'd never sold either.

Please feel free to show me your super duper beam bike!

You still have a chance to buy another!

R & A Cycles has a few frames on closeout.

http://www.racycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KathyG, i would be interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22 seasons ago I spent some money on the 200 SC and I am still using it.

just one of the many reasons dev paul is a straight up player-pimp!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, my dad rode that Kestrel in Kona in 1993 and IMC in 1992 and 1993 as well as many others. I just retired the Kestrel after riding it for 4 seasons while getting into tri. The bike was small so I had it adjusted to fit. I just picked up a new shiv rival. I will get a pic up later.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that one of the guys who lives 2 blocks from me has 2 softride beam bikes. He got the second one as an insurance replacement for the first, but the police ended up finding the first one, so he has two, neither of which is being actively used. It's one of the old cyclops frames from the 90's (I believe the frame maker was from the Okanagan Valley....Ultratriguy, Marc Becker used to ride one as well as Joanne Ritchie and a few others). Going to check it out at lunch time today!

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next