Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who is running on a partial knee replacement
Quote | Reply
I am bone on bone and cant run without significant pain....60 year old male

I am a candidate for a partial knee replacement according to the ortho...

I am looking to do limited running....3 runs a week for a max of 9 miles-8 months out of the year...so that I can do sprint triathlons

anyone running on a partial knee replacement?...what has been your recovery and running experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Who is running on a partial knee replacement [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've asked and scouted this topic for years. Amazing to me how few people there are out there doing it. I was told I needed knee replacement 15 years ago. For what it's worth, I've done a lot of running since. Had a lot of pain too. About all I ever find are stories about Dick Beardsley. At least it's something. Here's a link: https://www.outsideonline.com/...nees-runs-better-you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a friend same age as me (62) that had one about 3 years ago. I saw the post op x-rays and the metal portion was maybe 20% of less of the knee if I remember correctly. His running came back very quickly and fully, but he was only able to keep it up for about a year after which his back went out and he retired from triathlon and is now just a roadie.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is running on a partial knee replacement [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend is giving it a try in a few months. He has been watching, researching, and waiting for effective options for years. This is the first option that seemed feasible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
I am bone on bone and cant run without significant pain....60 year old male

I am a candidate for a partial knee replacement according to the ortho...

I am looking to do limited running....3 runs a week for a max of 9 miles-8 months out of the year...so that I can do sprint triathlons

anyone running on a partial knee replacement?...what has been your recovery and running experience?

I have two friends, both near your age when they received their partial replacements. One still runs, but no where near the volume she was doing before the surgery. Not because it hurts but she's worried about "wearing it out" too soon. The other friend has done a few IMs, and a few ultramarathons, with his new knee. I asked him if he was worried about it wearing out too soon and his reply was "I figure I've only got a few more years to run regardless, so I am going to enjoy the hell out of them while I can". Personally, I agree with his choice and would do the same. Life is short so enjoy it while you can
Quote Reply
Re: Who is running on a partial knee replacement [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a partial on left knee (Makoplasty) in 2014 and a total on right knee in 2015. I am running 15-20 per week and have had no pain. I went in to my doctor for a follow up a year ago and he said the knee X-rays looked great. I can't tell you how thankful I am to be able to be running with no pain after many years of being in constant pain. I'm only doing Sprint and Oly Triathlons, as well as 5K and 10K races, and follow the 80/20 Endurance plans. I'm a 72 year old male who has always been pretty active.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is running on a partial knee replacement [xdays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the full compare to the partial? I have a doctor who thinks I'm a candidate for both, but is clearly pushing for a full--believing most partials will have to be converted to fulls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
How does the full compare to the partial? I have a doctor who thinks I'm a candidate for both, but is clearly pushing for a full--believing most partials will have to be converted to fulls.

I have no medical training, but I have never heard from anyone that most partials will eventually have to be converted to fulls. I guess that would depend on the individuals anatomy with regards to the damage present in the other compartments. I was bone on bone on the medial side of my left knee, which is why we opted for the PKR. Since the surgery 6 years ago, I have been able to run and bike with no pain at all...it's given me my life back! The X-ray below was taken last year and my surgeon said everything looked excellent and to continue doing what I was doing...he knows I compete in Triathlon and road races.

Last edited by: xdays: Mar 23, 20 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a partial two what will be years ago this July. I'm 50 next month. I can't run on it properly even to cross the road. But I'm a bigger build guy, who also needs to lose some weight.

I have hiked around 14miles with a day sack and done a couple of century rides since the replacement though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s good to hear.

It does make sense that the rest of my 60-year-old knee is probably a bit worn. So I understand that if I get a partial, the other side may eventually wear out. It’s a risk I am willing to take, if it means I can run a few miles a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi xdays. I’m having my surgery in January and would love to talk to you about recovery. Can you please email me at runman888@aol.com. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are the knees doing? Are you still running? How does the full compare with the partial?

xdays wrote:
I had a partial on left knee (Makoplasty) in 2014 and a total on right knee in 2015. I am running 15-20 per week and have had no pain. I went in to my doctor for a follow up a year ago and he said the knee X-rays looked great. I can't tell you how thankful I am to be able to be running with no pain after many years of being in constant pain. I'm only doing Sprint and Oly Triathlons, as well as 5K and 10K races, and follow the 80/20 Endurance plans. I'm a 72 year old male who has always been pretty active.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still running and my knees feel great. Saw my Orthopedic doc in Feb and he again said the knees looked great and to just keep doing what I'm doing. I don't run anymore than 15 - 20 miles per week. As far as the full versus the partial, I don't notice any difference. My knees are not even in my thought process anymore, as they feel completely normal, and have for many years now. I'm incredibly thankful for the quality of life the replacements have given me, and for my skilled doctor for not insisting that I stay away from running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's so good to hear. I am about to turn 62 and had a full replacement that has not gone so well. I still hope to return to some light running. I started with 1 minute on the treadmill and will build by 30 seconds/run and see how it goes.

May I ask how you started back and progressed? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PT place I went to after both replacements had an Alter G treadmill that I used after several weeks of initial therapy. I started out at 50% body weight and went up from there. I also started with a walk/run, 30 second runs at first. I had the partial done in April 2014 and did the swim/bike segment of a sprint triathlon in September (my wife did the run, she's faster than me anyway :) ). It was a pretty good run, mostly in sand, from swim out to transition and I ran the whole way with no issues. When did you have the surgery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a partial that did not go well, so it was revised (after 3 months) to a full 13 months ago. I still have pain and can't bend the knee past 90 degrees, so biking is out for now. I work it every day and have not given up hope. Have been doing 50-65 minutes of elliptical everyday for over six months and just started trying to jog a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, sorry you're having such a rough time. I'm surprised you had a partial and then had to have a full 3 months later! I'm not a doctor, but it would seem to me that you should have had a full replacement in the first place. If your anatomy was such that a partial was indicated initially, what changed in those 3 months that warranted a full replacement?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think the surgeon did anything wrong. He does lots of knee replacements and I’ve never heard anything bad about him. I just think scaring is my superpower. Something called arthrofibrosis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shortly after my total knee I had to go back in and have an closed manipulation, which is done under anasthesia, because I couldn't get past 90 degrees. It helped a little and I still don't have the same flexion as my other leg, but I can ride a bike with no problem. My doctor says I have an osteophyte in the back of my knee that would require the removal of the PCL in order for him to remove the osteophyte, so I'll just live with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a MUA. Didn’t help much. I will just plug along. Thanks for your insight.
Quote Reply