Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner?
Quote | Reply
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/...ional-Athlete-Salary Professional athletes avg $46,446 annually in the USA

Was going to complain how little prize money TdeF riders earn for 3 weeks of work. Compared to the MILLION$ in prize money for big money sports, it just didn't seem worth dedicating your life to cycling, swimming, running or competing in triathlons - unless it's something you want to do. Then I saw what the average professional athlete makes.

After watching the TdeF and considering the length of the cycling season, that would be hardest earned money IMO.

Considering total compensation, sponsors - prizes - etc, who do you think is compensated better: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner and it isn't even close.

The order is Runner, Cyclist, Swimmer, Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Is this based on the income of the top athletes or the average athlete?

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of the number of athletes earning $480K (what it takes to be top 1% in the US).

Of course then the answer would be age-group ironman participant.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I was thinking of the number of athletes earning $480K (what it takes to be top 1% in the US).

Of course then the answer would be age-group ironman participant.

Ok. I'd agree.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None over $100k in that chart? Seems a bit questionable. I'd be curious what sports that data is based off of and the sample size.

For any of the sports you mentioned, I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the pros make close to minimum wage, 9% do okay, and 1% of pros are very well compensated. (in the US)

Cody Beals posts his yearly budget from triathlons every year, he's about as elite as they come (outside Jan, Lionel, Lange, etc.) and he just started clearing 6 figures last year. So I really don't see much money in triathlon.

In comparison, TDF level cyclists are making considerably more. Domestiques on World Tour teams are clearing $100-500k, Leaders well over $1M

Good cycling source: https://www.skysports.com/...-of-the-peloton-earn
Last edited by: indianacyclist: Aug 2, 19 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in a world where a handful of athletes make order of magnitude more that everybody else... average salary will be meaningless.

Only so many athletes will have their faces on cereal boxes.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Professional athlete" is a pretty broad term. It goes from the superstars making 50-100 million down to Single-A baseball players and minor league hockey making 10-15 thousand a season.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
None over $100k in that chart? Seems a bit questionable. I'd be curious what sports that data is based off of and the sample size.

For any of the sports you mentioned, I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the pros make close to minimum wage, 9% do okay, and 1% of pros are very well compensated. (in the US)

Cody Beals posts his yearly budget from triathlons every year, he's about as elite as they come (outside Jan, Lionel, Lange, etc.) and he just started clearing 6 figures last year. So I really don't see much money in triathlon.

In comparison, TDF level cyclists are making considerably more. Domestiques on World Tour teams are clearing $100-500k, Leaders well over $1M

Good cycling source: https://www.skysports.com/...-of-the-peloton-earn

Somehow the creators of the chart are trying to hit average. Which really has me wondering. There could be many people who consider themselves professional athletes making way less that $46,000; yet they consider themselves professional athletes. Perhaps this is like professional musicians. Many make way less than the average yet they consider themselves professionals.

Is breaking into professional cycling any harder than professional running, swimming or triathlon? This could be quite the study for an economist. With so many wannabe's, what sport has the easiest route to a payoff? If any.

My hunch is that the compensation might be in line with one's chance of success against your field of professionals. For example, Egan Bernal has a smaller field of competitors than Michael Jordan. Easier to be Galen Rupp than Aaron Rodgers. Easier to be as successful as Michael Phelps than Lionel Messi / Cristiano Ronaldo given the field size of professionals that your competing against.

Is the marketplace accurate in payouts based on field size of professionals? Would that then make the compensation order: running, cycling, swimming, triathlon given that I think there are more professionals in those four sports in that order.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.pba.com/SeasonStats

Similar prize money in bowling to IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you have the first two right, but not sure about swimmers and triathletes. I would say over a dozen triathletes are making a 1/2 million and up in the world, another 50 or so between 100 and 400k, are there that many swimmers making that much? I know a few at the top make big bucks, but does it tail off quickly, or a slow descend to the 100 swimmer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

How much are the top runners earning? Top 20...top 100?

Pro cycling hands out some pretty hefty contracts that don't include endorsements.
Froome ~$5 million
Sagan ~$6 million
Thomas ~$3.5 million
Bernal ~$3 million
Nibali $2.9 million
Cavendish $3.4 million
Dumoulin $2.5 million
Quintana ~$2 million
Valverde ~$2 million

I have to imagine guys like Viviani, GvA, Porte, Landa, Lopez, Roglic, Aru, Tony Martin, Dan Martin, Yates brothers, Alaphilippe, Gilbert, Stybar, Degenkolb, Matthews, Uran, Kruijswijk, Majka, Pinot, Kwiatkowski, Poels, Rowe are all easily making $800k to $1.5 million. Van Aert and MVDP are going to eventually command big money too.

Usain Bolt was supposedly earning around $10 million per year over 10 years of his prime. I would say that's significantly higher than what a pro cyclist earns, especially over that length of time. But since he's retired, has someone stepped up and taken his place as far as earning potential? Are there 15 other guys making $5-7 million per year running? 100 guys making over a million?

Honest question...I don't follow pro running.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, you are a plugged-in guy, but a dozen making $500k seems high. Who would that be?

Ryf
Frodeno
A. Brownlee
Lange
Kienle
Sanders
Charles
Gomez
J. Brownlee

Would people like Mola, Duffy, Carfrae, Potts, O’Donell go on that list? Seems like a stretch as you keep going with it....

Keep in mind that prize purses are only going to be a meaningful contributor to the best among that list
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

How much are the top runners earning? Top 20...top 100?

Pro cycling hands out some pretty hefty contracts that don't include endorsements.
Froome ~$5 million
Sagan ~$6 million
Thomas ~$3.5 million
Bernal ~$3 million
Nibali $2.9 million
Cavendish $3.4 million
Dumoulin $2.5 million
Quintana ~$2 million
Valverde ~$2 million

I have to imagine guys like Viviani, GvA, Porte, Landa, Lopez, Roglic, Aru, Tony Martin, Dan Martin, Yates brothers, Alaphilippe, Gilbert, Stybar, Degenkolb, Matthews, Uran, Kruijswijk, Majka, Pinot, Kwiatkowski, Poels, Rowe are all easily making $800k to $1.5 million. Van Aert and MVDP are going to eventually command big money too.

Usain Bolt was supposedly earning around $10 million per year over 10 years of his prime. I would say that's significantly higher than what a pro cyclist earns, especially over that length of time. But since he's retired, has someone stepped up and taken his place as far as earning potential? Are there 15 other guys making $5-7 million per year running? 100 guys making over a million?

Honest question...I don't follow pro running.

Pro running has a lot of mystery when it comes to pay. Supposedly Drew Hunter makes 250k a year on a 10 year deal with adidas and he isnt anything crazy, good yes, but he isnt an olympian and is right now on outside looking in on making 2020 Tokyo. Rupp and Centro were supposedly making ~500k a year out of college before olympic medal success. I dont know how cycling contracts work but in running you get paid to do certain races, you have multiple sponsors sometimes, you get bonuses for winning races or placing, and so on
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, most of your 1st and 2nd lists, and keep in mind, that there are athletes in other countries that are the best there, that get paid quite well. May not show up on the top 3 of whatever races we watch results in, but locally they do quite well. The germans were especially well compensated back in the day, I imagine that is still the case.

Like I said, just about a dozen or so though, then it goes down from there. Lots over 100K for sure, but thins out each 100k increment. Dont forget that guys like Vincent Luis and other Euros are making a lot of money right now too, probably put him in the 500k+ category all in. That includes everything too..And some of the top ITU women are probably doing pretty well too, figure the top making over $200K+ in prize money, then endorsements, start fees, travel, bonuses, national team money, etc., it adds up..

I just dont know what the swimmers are getting these days. Are the top guys getting even 1/3 of Phelps money yet, I dont think so. The top top are getting more than the top triathlete for sure, but what is the 20th best swimmer getting? I suppose it is similar that countries are paying the athletes, and if you are a medal contender, probably getting at least a $100k plus bonuses? Is Caleb in the 10 million club yet, I'm thinking maybe if he signed a long term contract, and if he hits certain goals, he might someday approach Phelps $60 million one year take...Kate Ledecky signed at the right time I think, probably got a great front end with lots of bonuses. After this last meet where she was sick, she has to have a redo to cement herself as the undisputed champion of all time in womens distance swimming..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Professional-Athlete-Salary Professional athletes avg $46,446 annually in the USA

I'd guess the largest block of "professional athletes" in the USA are minor league baseball players. Except for the handful of gifted athletes who are drafted high and quickly move up through the ranks, most of the double-A, single-A, and non-affiliated league players get paid like an Assistant Fry Cook at McDonalds.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would say the pool of swimmers making a living from the sport is quite a bit bigger than triathletes, simply because the Olympic program for swimming has so many more events/medals so there'll be a lot more athletes funded by their national governing body. But there are a lot more sponsors in triathlon than swimming since you've got all the bike companies, wetsuits, sunglasses, clothing, nutrition, etc.

So my take would be that if you're good enough to win some races, get some recognition, and/or do a good job of selling your brand, then the sponsorship opportunities in triathlon mean you can earn more, but for the squad athlete who is very good but not podium calibre then I think it's easier to earn a living than in triathlon. Suspect the costs of being a triathlete are also a lot higher, needing to travel to races, all the kit you need to train, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's got to be cyclists, really the only one of those that is a spectator sport to a significant degree.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
It's got to be cyclists, really the only one of those that is a spectator sport to a significant degree.

Wonder if the swimmers and runners, think that their sport is less of a spectator sport. I've seen the Tour of Switzerland pass by on the road and that was not much of a spectator event (except for the goodies they hand out). If they didn't make travelogues out of cycling, we would have fewer viewers. With running, I can normally see them pass by more than once during a race. Swimming is the most spectator friendly, in person or on TV, as you seldom miss any of the action.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of the most athletes with 1% salaries, it would be cyclists. Pretty much any super-domestique, classics threat, or top-15 grand tour finisher makes that.

In terms of the highest net worth, it's swimmers. To get into the "G6 money" you need to transcend your sport like Phelps or Lochte (kinda) has. Lance was the only cyclist to get there.

The net net is that by pretty much any measure, triathletes are at the bottom of the list. Small sport. No household names. Modest prize money. Little sponsor appeal outside of marketing to age groupers.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Wonder if the swimmers and runners, think that their sport is less of a spectator sport. I've seen the Tour of Switzerland pass by on the road and that was not much of a spectator event (except for the goodies they hand out). If they didn't make travelogues out of cycling, we would have fewer viewers. With running, I can normally see them pass by more than once during a race. Swimming is the most spectator friendly, in person or on TV, as you seldom miss any of the action.

Spectator as in large TV audiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Running has a large spectator presence on the track
Quote Reply
Re: Who is compensated better these days: triathlete, swimmer, cyclist, runner? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Running has a large spectator presence on the track

Yeah I thought of that but guessed it’s still relatively small compared to cycling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only real money in any professional sport is from television, which then ties in with endorsements. Paying spectators are a drop in the bucket compared to TV contracts. Road cycling has no paying spectators but huge TV audiences around the world, especially for the TDF. Not Premier League-type contracts but compared to running, swimming, and triathlon they must be huge. T&F and a handful of marathons have some television audiences but nothing compared to cycling. Running does generate endorsements from Nike, Adidas, etc. Swimming and triathlon and TV/endorsements? Tiny niche audiences.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to say if anyone is getting Phelps money. I doubt it. Ledecky would probably be the closest. I think Lochte might have forced some sponsors to take a step back given how volatile his career has been.

While not comprehensive, here's SwimSwam's estimation of prize money from World's:
https://swimswam.com/...ners-at-2019-worlds/

That is just one meet, and a lot of those same folks race the FINA world cup meets as well. Michael Andrew was way down at #39 with $18k, but I'm sure he made a decent chunk of change from the earlier world cup and champions meets (link below to the prize money, I'm too lazy to go back through all results to try and calculate it).

The new world cup season is just getting started. Here's the prize money breakdown:
https://swimswam.com/...y-event-lineup-more/

Plus that new ISL thing starts this fall (with ~200 pros signed up). And most of these FINA meets, at least the US National team members, probably have travel expenses covered by USA Swimming (plus there is some level of sponsorship/guaranteed income for national team members in the US).

So I think there are options for dozens to make decent money off prize money alone but the real money is still in endorsements.

-----
Quote Reply

Prev Next