Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who here had Covid and has recovered?
Quote | Reply
Would be interested to hear who fits in that category and how it is going now
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have COVID and am also interested in how it recovery experiences. After getting good bike and run fitness improvements during lockdown and a short spell being furloughed (which took work out of the family/work/training balance) this is the flip side of the fitness luck coin for me. Hoping to bounce back fairly quickly and hopefully not lose my loxkdown fitness gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Primary respiratory symptoms cleared up fine but I still have persistent neurological issues and increased fatigue. One of those issues is insomnia though so fatigue stems largely from that I think. Numbness and tingling in hands/feet/legs limits my training. Sometimes I've been ok for stretches of normal easy/base training, sometimes not

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had Covid. It during the period of thickness i had a fever for about 48 hrs where i had to take tylenol every 12 hours or so (letting the temp float up to 101.5 before taking the next tylenol). After that 48 hrs it felt very similar to the flu where i had very little energy but had just enough to work through the day at home but then pass out around 8pm or so. Did loose smell but retained taste. It lasted about 1 Week where i had not much energy and another week where i felt better but definitively not workout worthy. I did not have any breathing issue just no energy. Exactly 13 days after first symptoms I did my first workout which was a Zwift TTT race which was 45 min. at 203W when my typical TTT race i do 240W. Muscles felt good but my lungs almost hurt after 45 min. of strong effort. After that I got back to training about 3-4 hrs a week including every week roughly 50-60 minute zwift ttt race. I believe after 2 weeks of working out I started to feel closer to what i was before covid. I probably could have waited another week before coming back but that said I dont feel i had long lasting issues. That said check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD61RJQvwr4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A number of people I know had it in March/April and are still struggling badly.

However, two had quick COVID (2 weeks of no symptoms other than no smell/taste) and recovered brilliantly.

The interesting one for mine is one of my cousins-in-law who had it earlier in the year (let no-one tell you that the 'Swedish Solution' was a good one for a lot of Swedes) who had it pretty badly, but recovered reasonably quickly physically and hasn't had any post viral fatigue even whilst returning to adventure racing.

However, it's nearly December and he STILL hasn't got taste or smell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently (a week ago) recovered from having Covid.

I had migraines, severe exhaustion and ran a 104degree temp for 5 days and then 102-103 temp for another 5-6 days. towards the last couple of days pneumonia started setting into my lungs and I was coughing. I was on the verge of needing to go to the hospital. I have an awesome RN for a wife who took fantastic care of me. Thankful for an awesome doctor who got me on some antibiotics and meds right away and started feeling miles better. the "bad" stretch was eleven days. and then 3 days of where I could really feel the meds working and then It was just a matter of slowly getting energy levels back up.

I was cleared by doc to resume exercise as I was able to do. If at any point breathing became an issue I was to stop immediately. I have been in the pool a handful of times (yes, I am lucky and my gym hasn't closed our pool. Their statement is enough chlorine kills anything.) I have done some leisure biking and everything has been fine. I have not tried to push at all as I am waiting a little longer per doc's recommendation. I can tell at the end of a day I am more tired than I normally would be. Each day though that is slowly getting better as well.

I don't have any breathing issues any more, never lost taste or smell but just had my body wiped out. I think if I wanted to I could push a hard workout I would just be absolutely spent the rest of the day if I did.

On the flip side, my wife got it and ran a fever for two days and body sweats and lost smell (which she still hasn't gotten back). But she was back to normal pithing 3 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lost taste completely (and first time ever) Oct 28. Me and family PCR tested positive. (My 38th birthday present too). I coach XC and missed our boys and girls going 5th and 8th at State. 99.99% sure I got it as school and not XC and I was quarantined bc of XC in Sept and did not want to give it to the teams so was out of the way careful. I had bad fatigue, headache, and muscle soreness. Ibuprofen was amazing (didn't take any all XC season). I tried to work out easy a few times keeping the hr on the bike under 132. Went from 172 to 162 pounds. Went ok and then the past couple weeks have been very stressful as the High school shut down and I got moved all over town teaching K-8 right the first day back. I had been teaching Marketing all year (Biology license). So that makes it hard to tell the comeback. Yesterday on my first real run I hopped into a huge nail and hobbled 1.5 miles home. Today on Zwift I got 30 in and after a climb in France my HR and power finally leveled off. I have noticed my HR is quicker to jump and slower to recover. Have 9 days off in a row and it will be nice to relax. Not looking forward to babysitting students.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a friend who caught it right after Diverticulitis. Did Ironman Florida 2-3 weeks later. Another buddy who's 72 had it; tight hamstrings, weakness, headaches but doing fine now. I've known 9 so far who have had it but so far I have dodged the bullt.

Kiwami Racing Team
Last edited by: playguy: Nov 24, 20 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
A number of people I know had it in March/April and are still struggling badly.

However, two had quick COVID (2 weeks of no symptoms other than no smell/taste) and recovered brilliantly.

The interesting one for mine is one of my cousins-in-law who had it earlier in the year (let no-one tell you that the 'Swedish Solution' was a good one for a lot of Swedes) who had it pretty badly, but recovered reasonably quickly physically and hasn't had any post viral fatigue even whilst returning to adventure racing.

However, it's nearly December and he STILL hasn't got taste or smell.

It's so strange how this affects different people differently. My 74 year old mother-in-law woke up last Monday without taste and smell. She thought she had a cold but knew it was COVID from that and tested positive that day. A week later, her sense of taste and smell is already back. Meanwhile, my 74 year old, diabetic father in law, was called in to the doctor after she tested positive. He tested positive too, but has been entirely asymptomatic. The are both released from quarantine this Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is useful for your post but my then fiancee (now wife) and I both tested positive on September 21. I possibly felt a tiny bit more tired than usual that week, but overall we (and two of my previous roommates) were completely asymptomatic. Kept training inside during our quarantine period and haven't had any lingering adverse effects.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 47yo healthy male.
On July 15th, I got COVID.
14 days of high fever (104+), and spent 3 nights in the hospital with supplemental oxygen. I couldn't breathe, and I was scared for my life.
Lost 20+ pounds in those 14 days.
Gained 20+ pounds in the next 14 days.
Incredible fatigue in August and September. (3+ hour naps every afternoon + 10 hours at night).
Started walking daily in late August.
October started to feel better (hints that I might be ok).
November 4th, I texted a buddy saying we needed to sign up for a race and asked him to think about Ironman Florida.
Within 12 seconds, he said yes.
We signed up, and I now have "347" days to be ready for IM#4.
Over the past 2 / 3 weeks, began 'running' and biking and feeling decent doing so.

Today, I visited my PCP, and he told me that my case is the worst case that he's had all year. Within their office, they use the basics of my story as an example to others about how COVID can take down otherwise healthy people.

COVID scared me.
I was scarred by COVID.
I'm grateful to be back to 'normal' and thankful for this sport and game that I enjoy.
Looking forward to Ironman Florida 2021.

ETA... the depression part of COVID is real. It scared me to death, and I've been going to a psychologist weekly since the beginning of August. Avoid COVID!

Cheers,
Last edited by: CanUsa: Nov 24, 20 17:42
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interested in all experiences. Will make a feature
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50 year old male. I do year round training 1-2 ironmans a year for last 10 years. No existing health issues. Eat extremely healthy for last 12 years. On no meds.

Day 1-2 99.5 degree on/off fever. Mild aches
Days 1-7 General feeling like I was going to get sick but never had sore throat or cough.
Day 5 lost taste and smell, lasted 8 days.
Day 8 started feeling normal.

I took another week off of training and have no lingering issues as far as I can tell.

Wife never got it, we didn’t do anything around the house to isolate her. 30 years of marriage kinda does that anyway! Kidding of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you define 'recovered' in the sense that you are looking for?

The term 'recovered' would typically mean having returned to a normal state of health, mind, or strength. Lots of stories of normally healthy people with lots of lingering problems. I'm definitely one of those.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Could you define 'recovered' in the sense that you are looking for?

The term 'recovered' would typically mean having returned to a normal state of health, mind, or strength. Lots of stories of normally healthy people with lots of lingering problems. I'm definitely one of those.

Great call out. I'm not recovered in any manner. I'm beginning to feel like I'll recover sometime soon. This has been the biggest medical, physical, and emotional challenge of my life, and "4" months isn't enough time for full recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snapshot Timeline:

11/15/20- (Sunday)- Long (14 miles) hard run with my teenage son.

11/16/20- (Monday)-Started feeling crappy late day at work. COVID & flu test ordered.

11/17/20- (Tuesday)-
Stayed home from work.
Isolated from all.

11/18/20- (Wednesday)-
Positive test result. Remain quarantined until 11/30/20.

And now the finer details ……….

These are just a few of the things (looking back and non-inclusive) that may have clued me in that I was getting sick. WARNING SIGNS:
Seemingly in this order .........

Days ahead:
Red eyes at night several nights in a row prior.
“Overly” tired for several nights in a row prior.

11/15/20- Day before: (Sunday)
Gassy? Belching. Touch of diarrea.

11/16/20- Day 1 (Monday)
Day I knew something MAY be up:
Maybe some nausea? Very slight.
Cough.
Sore throat.

11/17/20- Day 2 (Tuesday)
Fever. 102° @ times.

11/18/20- Day 3 (Wednesday)
Low-grade fever.
Some chills.

11/19/20- Day 4 (Thursday)
Fever broke. Stopped DayQuil / NyQuil combo.
Stuffy / runny nose.
Leg cramps.
Still gassy stomach?
Trouble going to sleep overnight. Just could not sleep! (Felt like caffine in veins).

* Now, just randomness...... headache, chills, cough. Not all the time but comes and goes. Dizzy.

I very much fear my return to sport. Unsure of when to jump back in but fearful of losing all of the fitness I had gained until coming down with this.

I will also say that I am one of the most careful people with regard to COVID. I wear a mask constantly but clearly along the way something went very wrong and either I let my guard down or ??? Not sure I will ever know. Today is day 9 for me. Feeling MUCH better just today.

Incidentally, I was already scheduled for an echocardiogram on December 22nd so that will be reassuring to get I supose.

Welcome any feedback and thanks for starting the thread Herbert.

My HRV during this time ………

My HR ................

Last edited by: Y-Tri: Nov 24, 20 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in mid-October, a bunch of coworkers and I got tested for COVID antibodies. I was one of two that came back positive for antibodies. It seems I already had the virus but never had any obvious symptoms. No coughing, body aches, etc. and even passed the daily temp checks at work. Looking back, I did go through a week in September where I felt sluggish during runs and rides. I just wasn't able to hold the usual paces at the usual heart rates...or simply became disinterested and walked for a bit. At the time, I chalked it up to some cyclical fatigue and general lack of motivation with limited race options. After the positive antibody test, I now figure that week in September was probably when I had the virus.

After my positive antibody test, just for curiosity sake, I had my wife and four kids get tested for antibodies. This is the most odd thing. At no time did I make any attempt to isolate myself from my immediate family, because I did not know I was infected. There was cuddling on the couch with kids, cooking meals, and giving rides all over town and to school. Yet, somehow only one of my kids also had antibodies. That kid also had no symptoms and shares a bedroom with his twin brother. They eat all meals together, share clothes, and pretty much spend all day together. It seems if any virus was going to jump between two people, these twin boys would be prime candidates...but no. The whole thing is somewhat baffling.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
Back in mid-October, a bunch of coworkers and I got tested for COVID antibodies. I was one of two that came back positive for antibodies. It seems I already had the virus but never had any obvious symptoms. No coughing, body aches, etc. and even passed the daily temp checks at work. Looking back, I did go through a week in September where I felt sluggish during runs and rides. I just wasn't able to hold the usual paces at the usual heart rates...or simply became disinterested and walked for a bit. At the time, I chalked it up to some cyclical fatigue and general lack of motivation with limited race options. After the positive antibody test, I now figure that week in September was probably when I had the virus.

After my positive antibody test, just for curiosity sake, I had my wife and four kids get tested for antibodies. This is the most odd thing. At no time did I make any attempt to isolate myself from my immediate family, because I did not know I was infected. There was cuddling on the couch with kids, cooking meals, and giving rides all over town and to school. Yet, somehow only one of my kids also had antibodies. That kid also had no symptoms and shares a bedroom with his twin brother. They eat all meals together, share clothes, and pretty much spend all day together. It seems if any virus was going to jump between two people, these twin boys would be prime candidates...but no. The whole thing is somewhat baffling.

The antibody tests are not super reliable - could have been a false positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:

I'm no doctor or virology expert, and maybe you are correct. But, I assume a blood test resulting in specific levels of antibodies would be at least as reliable as the nasal swab test for the virus itself.

Edited to fix improper quote format.
Last edited by: Signal8: Nov 24, 20 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a mild covid back in September. I tested positive after a visit to the hospital for a routine appointment to the traumatologist (following a bike crash where I broke my shoulder). I only had minor symptoms. Strangely, those symptoms were similar to a gastroenteritis and some headaches for 3 days. After those days, I was back on the trainer.

I don't feel I lost any fitness. In fact, only lost things are the 8 pounds I left on the way. I was already thin, but now I'm even thinner. However, after all that process my sleep quality has been affected. I don't sleep more than 2 hours in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got sick end of March, hospitalized ICU April 1st and released on Easter. When I first got home I was over twenty pounds down and couldn't shower without sitting down. I had been prepping for a long course over the winter so prior to getting sick was in pretty good shape. A few weeks at home and back to work in May. I started riding and couldn't do much-running was near impossible at first but cycling was possible. Shorter efforts- 5 second, 1 minute and 3 minute efforts on the bike came around by August, Hour and 90 minute efforts are only now back to pre covid levels. I am just starting to run again now but that is due to a detached retina in September. I feel that I have recovered, a recent physical including a stress test went well but did show PVCs all over the place that I have not had before. Will be following up on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Interesting / quick read:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...-risk-with-covid-19/

As this was in response to my post, I'll respond to this.
Thank you for sharing this!
In mid August (after my fever went away), my PCP told me that I may not exercise until I go to the cardiologist. Based on the intensity of the virus on my body, he warned against any strain / stress until I go through proper testing.
Part of my visit with my PCP yesterday was to inform him that I intend to start training again, and to follow up on the cardiovascular COVID implications BEFORE I go back to training.
I was given a referral to the cardiologist and plan to visit within the next couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

I'm no doctor or virology expert, and maybe you are correct. But, I assume a blood test resulting in specific levels of antibodies would be at least as reliable as the nasal swab test for the virus itself.

Edited to fix improper quote format.

Could it be that some humans just have the antibodies due to battling other related coronaviruses in the past? Is this possible. I believe it may be but not an expert here. Otherwise how do some people (ex: trip to tropical locations) who have never been exposed to something new surivive it and other keel over and get hammered. Maybe its just an ultra small sliver of people with Covid19, but perhaps possible. I have not read up on this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next