Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who has had DI2 failures?
Quote | Reply
Have we discussed this before?
It seems to happen with some regularity. I have witnessed it at races and theres always pros with problems in races from time to time.

May keep the race bike mechanical 🤔
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ultegra 6770, so pretty old stuff, and never had a problem other than forgetting to charge it. Which didnt end up being a big deal either time anyway. It's weird to me how many tri pros use it and have issues, whereas pro roadies ride it for many many more miles and don't seem to have the same issues. My guess is operator error. I love it and will probably be getting it on every bike purchase going forward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect Di2 record.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it Sara true who had issues this year at Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a battery go bad on me.. it was 2+ years old.. and I was upgrading to the newer style battery shortly anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over 60,000 miles on DI without a single issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a dura ace rear derailleur stop working mid ride. Never figured out why. I replaced it with an ultegra RD and haven’t had a problem since.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd imagine it's down to the cycling pros have pro mechanics to tend their rides.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, she talks about it in the post-race analysis video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxOKRCxuIA

I've never had any issue except for some user error when I first got my bike. I've done 3 IM and many HIM with Di2 without issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 is incredible. Can’t imagine going back to mechanical. Especially on a Tri bike. Effortless to make a shift and multiple points to shift. Perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have one bike that is di2 and haven't had issues. BUT I have seen at least 3 at races and the cost of theses events makes me wonder if it's worth the risk. I no shit happens even with mechanical but usually mechanical can be fixed just about anywhere. And di2 doesn't make you faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's be installed correctly and charged then Di2 is bullet proof.

Only issues i've ever seen are when connectors not engaged properly after re-build or batteries not charged, both very easily to avoid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 different bikes with di2- not a single issue
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fully agree, di2 is great, very reliable and the only way to go on a TT bike
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2 is awesome. I love it...

But I've had mine fail twice: once it left me in the small ring and once it left me in the big ring. I've also seen someone next to me walk way from the start of a race, 5 mins before the off, because their gears had just stopped working totally.

I've got it on my TT bike, but not on my road bike and TBH i'm happy to stick with mechanical. Even if it only fails once a year it can still be a massive pain in the arse!
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over ten plus years of using DI2 I have had two Junction A boxes go bad and cause premature battery drain but I have not had any failures that caused it to stop working. Pretty amazing stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using since.....2014?....something like that. Have raced in all weather conditions, not a single issue yet.
But I do know of one person who seemed to have a battery go bad, and one other that seemed to have a host of issues on one bike, I think he later told me it was either a wire connection or something shorted.
Honestly I think I've seen more failures on mechanical setups than I have Di2.
Personal experience, one of the biggest races of my life (road race, not ironman), my mechanical campy record rear derailleur blew apart mid race while shifting on an uphill. Only race day equipment failure I've ever had other than flat tires.
One other note - this is also a reason I like to work on my own bikes and not necessarily pay a (junior) mechanic and hope that he/she fully connected the wires properly.....has to be a solid 'snap' to know its in place. And of course once these bikes are built, at least one of the junction boxes is usually internal around the BB, so hard to double check their work. Obviously this isn't as big an issue with etap, but I prefer Di2...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 6, 20 4:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Have we discussed this before?
It seems to happen with some regularity. I have witnessed it at races and theres always pros with problems in races from time to time.

May keep the race bike mechanical 🤔

Zero issues personally with Shimano Di2 of any generation. That said, pros are more prone to mechanical problems in general simply due to the fact that they travel so much. Constant assembly and disassembly of bikes, and airlines' treatment of bike boxes, cause a lot of abuse. When I was flying to race a lot, I used mechanical components for this reason (with meticulous packing). At least at the time (8-10 years ago-ish), it was easier to find spare parts for mechanical, and I carried a spare for almost everything that could go wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"And di2 doesn't make you faster."
---------------------------------------
I would have agreed with you prior to my first Di2 ride in 2011. Electronic makes shifting so much easier, crisper, and fun to shift that I tend to shift more often and more appropriately. That has certainly made me faster.

I had 2011 10 speed Di2 that wnet bad after 3 years. Replaced with 11 speed and have not had a single issue except one time that I didn't charge it (after 4 months of riding!). The new bike has etap AXS, w/ one IM so far. No issues at all. In fact I LOVE it!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has had DI2 failures? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 💯%

If you want it done right do it yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem at all. Rock solid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I agree 💯%

If you want it done right do it yourself!

I'm with this.
I do pretty much all my own spannering.
1. I know it's right.
2. If it does go wrong and leave me stranded 40 miles from home or fhecks up a race, I've only myself to blame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a battery that kept going flat. Took a while to trouble shoot but shimano ended up replacing one sti shifter and the junction box under warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had it on my road bike since 2014 (haven't owned a tri bike since then) and have had two issues:

- Battery died and stuck in 50x11 for about 15 miles to get back home.
- Rear derailleur stopped working after riding over some very rough cobbles in a small Italian village.

The first one was my fault as I forgot to charge the battery. After doing some roadside troubleshooting (felt like 15mins but was probably 5mins in reality) the second turned out to be the connection at the shifter rattled loose going over the cobbles. Reconnected it and was able to start climbing the Mortirolo. The second has made me skittish on getting a gravel Di2 bike and have instead stayed with mechanical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only issue ever has been trying to use the darn bluetooth connectivity through the Etube. I think it's a widely documented issue and each time I've used it it's locked my system. Requires removal and unhooking / reinstalling the battery to resolve. Therefore I do all settings wired to a computer. I'm scared to death of that darn bluetooth Etube thing...

I have never....ever had an odd shift with Di2 and that includes on full syncro shifting in road racing conditions (and gravel).

I have had 2 chain drop issues ever with mech DA one self inflicted on a big wattage climb / shift. The other in the snake at Snake Alley Crit. That drop at Snake Alley told me I never want mech ever again. And that's 2 drops with mech over about the last 30,000 miles.....I ride bikes a lot.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply

Prev Next