Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who has "dressed up" their Garmin
Quote | Reply
My wife's works in a pretty old school profession, that is stupidly pretty image conscious. She is wanting a new running watch this year, but really would like to be able to wear it every day (without looking like she just got done running) The Venu/Vivo series look nice; but wondering if anyone has ever dressed up some of the multisport specific watches (945,745 ETC) by using the quick fit bands. Did it look nice, or just like you took a plastic watch and put a nice band on it?

She does want to stay with Garmin, I realize you can make Apple watches look nice and they do a ton of stuff, we are just not really an Apple house.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin has literally released the Fenix series for that reason.

Is she banking, legal, sales, or insurance? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has the Venu and likes that it doesn't look so "multisport" She also has a fenix, but the venu is quite a bit smaller.

If the size of the fenix doesn't matter, the stainless steel bands make the fenix look like most dress watches. Before I had a fenix, a colleague was wearing one with the stainless band and I didn't realize it was a fenix until we started talking about it. Of course, I do not pay particularly close attention so I might not be the right demographic.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has looked at the fenix, but wants to find somewhere to try on the fenixS as she likes the size of the smaller watches.
... legal
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

I actually have the submariner watch face on my fenix 6. I actually had someone ask what it was a couple of months ago - that said, I feel pretty confident he didn’t think it’s actually a submariner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically wear my Fenix 5x with a metal or leather band when at work. My wife wears a Fenix 5s in white at work. The metal crown on the Fenix line seems to distract from the fact that the body is plastic. The QuickFit bands makes it really easy to switch to a silicone band before workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I actually have the submariner watch face on my fenix 6. I actually had someone ask what it was a couple of months ago - that said, I feel pretty confident he didn’t think it’s actually a submariner

So cool, where did you find that face? The Garmin ConnectIQ store? Can you post a pic or info? Cheers!

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your wife a triathlete or runner only? The Vivo and I believe the Venu series do not have multisport mode or open water swimming capability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a lawyer. I wear my fenix 6 sapphire every day. Suit or casual fridays, it doesn't matter. It looks great.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly a runner/cyclist/swimmer who does a triathlon once a year. We live on a lake but she mostly sticks to pool swimming, I have read a lot of people use the VENU in SUP activity and then put the watch in a swim buddy.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
Vols wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

So cool, where did you find that face? The Garmin ConnectIQ store? Can you post a pic or info? Cheers!

Yes, to the connect IQ store - about a year ago. No, to photo - I’ve not been able to get one to actually upload on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got my wife a fenix 6s in white with rose gold crown. she loves it and has several different straps, included a milanese braided metal one that makes the whole thing definitely formal enough for work.

the quick-release straps are brilliant.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in legal (retired now) and wore a Garmin just about everyday for many years. The "fanciest" I ever got was when I had a Forerunner 645 with the metal band around the face.

The only time I didn't wear a Garmin was when I was in court. But, that had nothing to do with the lack of fanciness of the watch but rather I didn't want to bother with disabling and then re-enabling the various notifications. Invariably I'd either forget to disable them, disable them and forget to turn them back on when out of court, or disable them and forget how to turn them back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Fenix. I've got the 5S Sapphire for a couple of years now and it was a solid purchase.

As someone else said, the metal bezel makes it look less like a "sports watch" and more casual. I have the metal band for it as well and it makes it looks like a normal watch. I've stopped using the metal band though, but that's just Covid induced laziness.

It's a good bet IMHO. I've been happy with it for anything but cross country skiing, too. For skiing you need the chest strap but the optical is good enough for just about anything else in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fenix5 with aftermarket metal band (w/rapid deployment buckle). Steampunk dial watch face from the Garmin app store. It's fine for training, though I do switch to the silicone band for races.

I'm in tech, and about 70% of the office has Apple watches, but the more hardcore athletes tend towards Garmins.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a Fenix 6X Sapphire everywhere.

If you're looking to "dress up", I'd make sure to get a sapphire screen, which looks better IMO and matches better with traditional watches, and go with the titanium band/bezel.

That said, the vast majority of responses here are from men, so I'd get alternative perspectives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm far from the most fashionable woman around and I don't have much experience with that sort of environment, but I really like the look of the white Fenix 5. It's pretty big and definitely a "statement piece" (especially if she has a smaller build) but IMO it goes with most outfits.
I do think the replacement bands look a bit "tacky" especially with a more formal outfit, but having said that I assume there's probably a difference in quality between brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to my 935 from a Tag Heuer 2000 (which I still wear for functions) and was really worried about the swap. I got the brown leather strap and that with the 945 in black worked well, especially with a 'tame' choice on the face. If you are going to ask why not a fenix, it's because I wear double cuff shirts, and the fenix was just that little too thick unless I got custom cuffs on my shirts forever.

However, after about 6 months, and only a couple of swims where I forgot to take the rubber band and swap, the leather got brittle and snapped. I was a bit disappointed, but since then just worn the black rubber strap and not worried about it.

I did consider going to a fenix 's', but the battery life would worry me. Also my vision is fading alarmingly quick now, and so the 935 face and size works, even if it doesn't look quiet as premium as the Fenix series. I'd honestly be the target market for a MARQ watch if they brought out a thin version.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems common in Asia where having a nice watch is pretty standard (for ppl with some coin) to wear a nice watch but some athletes rock the garmin with pride or double wrist it one on each side. The super bold garish look is so ugly it looks funky... or metal/black rubber strap and smaller face for a more stealth look. BTW u can get the watch faces changed as that's the other kind of ugly bit. Easy change out on any of the multi range and u can get oem straps for cheaps.

Apple watch is not much different than garmin and no better looking they are both functional time pieces linked to messaging etc rather than a piece of wrist jewelry.

I'd guess u more life out of the garmin buggy buttons and fragile rubber straps only using for exercise then flexing at work with a panerai, rolex, iwc, jacob&co, Richard Mille etc in the workplace. I hear her issue as one of my old bosses had a major problem even saying she thought I trained too much (in my own time!) and so any watch, tan line or person commenting on my sport stuff would invite a scowl of disapproval and shaped her perception.
Last edited by: Kipstar: Apr 23, 21 21:22
Quote Reply
Re: Who has "dressed up" their Garmin [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Tag was a 21st birthday present. And in 25 years of daily use, including sports (I wore my polar/garmin on the 'other') mountainbiking, etc etc it still looks fine. There are some scratches on the clasp, but as it's brushed steel only when you look hard. Not sure about other brands, but the Tag was a lump of stainless steel with a bulletproof glass face. Anything that was going to damage that was gong to rip by arm off first....

I did get the face restored 5 years ago as the luminous paint had faded.

I got fed up with swapping watches 2-3 times a day, and forgetting to charge the sports watch if it was in a bag.
Quote Reply