Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit?
Quote | Reply
How many of you have dealth with the same or similar scenario...

A year ago my father was 25lbs over weight and his cholesteral was way out of whack.  He called me and said that he was going to start a cholesteral medication.  At the time he was not working out.  I told my father that he should try to handle his cholesterol naturally first.  I said, change your diet and start working out, if that doesn't work than take the prescribed medication.  However, I said if you just take the medication and don't change, you are being lazy.  A few weeks later he called me and asked what he should do to start running.  I bought him a HRM and a year later he has lost 25lbs and his cholesterol is perfect.  

Here's the catch.  He called me the other day and was frustrated.  His friends are constantly telling him that he is too skinny, that he is obsessed, that he needs to eat cake and cookies etc etc etc.  Just a couple of weeks ago he came down with a flu and his friends were telling him that the only reason he was sick was because all of his running had him worn down.  My Dad is 55 and runs 15-20 miles per week.  I hardly think he is worn down.

I guess this is kind of a rant because my girlfriend and I deal with the same thing.  I'm built pretty similar to Craig Alexander.  I'm a hell of a lot slower but we look similar.  Overweight people are always telling me I need to eat more and that I look frail/sick etc when in fact I'm actually the one who is fit.  I just find it strange that it's socially acceptable to tell a healthy person they need to start eating cake, and to "fatten up" when it's considered rude to tell somebody "hey, you really shouldn't be eating that cake". Now don't get me wrong. I have nothing against people who are considered overweight or who don't work out. It's freedom of choice to live a healthy lifestyle or not. I just don't like taking heat for my healthy choices.  

Maybe I'm out of line but it's a pet peeve of mine.  

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that it depends on where you live. In Northern California people tend to be pretty active and healthy. A good friend of mine is a triathlete and is from Missouri originally. He said that when he goes back to visit all of his relatives comment on how emaciated he looks.

I think that Missouri has one of the highest rates of obesity in the USA though.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the western standard for normal size has gotten pretty out of whack.

healthy looks sickly to people now

too bad for them

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look like Craig Alexander?!?! I look like Craig Alexander too! Us beautiful people need to stick together. "Normies" as I like to call them, don't understand. The coolest thing about being beautiful is when I walk into a super market, the doors actually open for me. It rocks. Actually, I look more like Harry Potter. Damn.

I learned when I was 5 that people put others down to make themselves feel better. That's life, you deal with it and move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You look like Craig Alexander?!?! I look like Craig Alexander too! Us beautiful people need to stick together. "Normies" as I like to call them, don't understand. The coolest thing about being beautiful is when I walk into a super market, the doors actually open for me. It rocks. Actually, I look more like Harry Potter. Damn.

I learned when I was 5 that people put others down to make themselves feel better. That's life, you deal with it and move on.

For the record I wasn't trying to brag I was just trying to give people a visual reference. It would be pointless to write this post if I actually was frail and sickly.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my motorcycling friends all seem to think i'm going to disappear (and tell me so regularly, though i know i still have some poundage to lose to be at a good race weight), but since the average waist size among them is 40+ inches, i just take it as a compliment and try not to look when i have to eat with them..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
At 165-170 LBS @6-7%BF i hear the same "you look sick" crap. I guess having defined abs and being able to see cuts and veins in your legs in unhealthy. If i order a Salmon Salad at dinner with my friends who are eating baconators i become a punching bag of jealously.

Laugh it off.

The thing that perplexes me is how a few of my good lady friends actually say they prefer guys who have a "few extra" lbs. They say it makes them feel less self conscious.

I'll never understand that.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Dude, I look like Harry Potter. Has anyone ever seen me and eganski in the same room?

To the OP, this conflict probably dates back to pro magnon and neanderthal. Why do people make fun of me for fashioning simple tools and creating fire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever heard of the late Dr. George Sheehan -- cardiologist, runner, author? He wrote quite a few books about running.

I don't remember the exact quotation, but he once said something to the effect of, "Beware when a non-runner tells you that you look 'healthy.' That means you're ten pounds over ideal running weight."

Yes -- experienced the same thing as you for years.

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of line? Hell No!

I have been getting the same thing from siblings and parents (all who are "obese" based on the BMI or Wii Fit).

At dinner the other night, it was the first time that they acknowledged they were all really out of shape and I didn't look "sick" anymore.

Dad has the same cholesterol issue as yours and is going on the medication. When I suggested maybe he didn't need butter (and I mean BUTTER) on everyrhing or in vast quantities, he questioned how that would even affect the cholesterol. When I suggested he get back to working out (he lost a lot of weight 5 years ago working out regularly), he said he didn't want to hurt his back again...

Sometimes it seems like you can't win. The people on my wife's side (she's Asian and they're all skinny - in her family that is) simply say I look much better! When her mom had the cholesterol issue, she just started walking much more and now doesn't need medicine (her mom is under 100 lbs so the cholesterol there is somewaht genetic).

You aren't alone and you aren't the only one that gets pissed by it.

Have you seen the persons tagline that says something along the lines of:

"You know you're getting closer when friends and family ask if you're sick. You know you're almost there when friends and family are worried you have cancer or aids, and you know you've finally hit race weight when they stage an intervention."

I like that one because it feels like what we deal with. If these comments come at 160 pounds, what comments will come if I hit 145 - 150, which is the goal and look like you and Craig! Sorry to go so long on your post, just big pet peeve here as well.

In Reply To:
How many of you have dealth with the same or similar scenario...

A year ago my father was 25lbs over weight and his cholesteral was way out of whack.  He called me and said that he was going to start a cholesteral medication.  At the time he was not working out.  I told my father that he should try to handle his cholesterol naturally first.  I said, change your diet and start working out, if that doesn't work than take the prescribed medication.  However, I said if you just take the medication and don't change, you are being lazy.  A few weeks later he called me and asked what he should do to start running.  I bought him a HRM and a year later he has lost 25lbs and his cholesterol is perfect.  

Here's the catch.  He called me the other day and was frustrated.  His friends are constantly telling him that he is too skinny, that he is obsessed, that he needs to eat cake and cookies etc etc etc.  Just a couple of weeks ago he came down with a flu and his friends were telling him that the only reason he was sick was because all of his running had him worn down.  My Dad is 55 and runs 15-20 miles per week.  I hardly think he is worn down.

I guess this is kind of a rant because my girlfriend and I deal with the same thing.  I'm built pretty similar to Craig Alexander.  I'm a hell of a lot slower but we look similar.  Overweight people are always telling me I need to eat more and that I look frail/sick etc when in fact I'm actually the one who is fit.  I just find it strange that it's socially acceptable to tell a healthy person they need to start eating cake, and to "fatten up" when it's considered rude to tell somebody "hey, you really shouldn't be eating that cake". Now don't get me wrong. I have nothing against people who are considered overweight or who don't work out. It's freedom of choice to live a healthy lifestyle or not. I just don't like taking heat for my healthy choices.  

Maybe I'm out of line but it's a pet peeve of mine.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ex boyfriend's parents, comments ALL THE TIME.

sometimes comments from people at the gym.

sometimes I don't mind, in a way it is nice to be reassured that you are thin and fit.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall reading somewhere lost in the annals of time and my brain that body
shape ideals are symbols of wealth.

In countries where food is scarce being overweight is a sign of wealth (due to scarcity of food)
In countries where food is plentiful, being skinny is a sign of wealth (due to correlation
between "spare time" and the ability to eat healthy, etc).

I take that into account when hear about comments like this.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a problem with the trend in society's view as to normal and healthy. Get very frustrated when I have people telling me to "fatten up," particularly my in-laws. They don't seem to understand that you can be lean (not sickly and underweight) and healthy. But then again, maybe that is why they are having such issues with their health/cholesterol. Wish they would try to handle it naturally like your father did.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have been getting the same thing from siblings and parents (all who are "obese" based on the BMI or Wii Fit).

LOL, is that the new standard now? "The WII FIT said I was fat!"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 205 pounds a year ago. I 'm 5'10.5"
Now I'm 180 . I feel great.
And most people tell me I look emaciated. I tell them yah maybe in street clothes ...but I don't look like stuffed sausage in a trisuit anymore. And I can run ride and swim faster and longer.

So who cares what the average fat american thinks...

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [chrisjones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To the OP, this conflict probably dates back to pro magnon and neanderthal. Why do people make fun of me for fashioning simple tools and creating fire?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing: in the 20 years from March 22, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25, 1992, when he issued an interoffice memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get this as well. It always reminds me of what Slowman said about race weight:

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight."

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got "fat" yet was still in the "normal" range, and couldn't get it off. I went to my obese practitioner who I swear, I had to convince that I was overweight (for me), and that my frame WAS small, and that I must have a thyroid condition. The look on her face....OMG! But I was right...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, but when people tell me that, I don't hold back and tell them to get their fat a$$ on the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell your father to wear the criticism as a badge of honor. He's earned it.

Also, point him to the studies that show fitness (and fatness, for that matter) is contagious. It takes time, but eventually some of the people around him will catch the bug and start exercising. My wife, my sister, and my brother in law have all started running in the years since I started. We tell stories every time we get together, and the other family members hear these stories and maybe they shake their heads and call us crazy, but the seed has been planted.

----------------------
Tri Me.
Work Me.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
everyone's frame is small once they stop eating so much =)

In Reply To:
I got "fat" yet was still in the "normal" range, and couldn't get it off. I went to my obese practitioner who I swear, I had to convince that I was overweight (for me), and that my frame WAS small, and that I must have a thyroid condition. The look on her face....OMG! But I was right...

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we back to this thread again?

When someone says that I'm too skinny, which has never yet happened in recorded history, I'll tell them "go suck donuts; gotta run" (literally, cause then I lace up my running shoes and take off). The only problem is that I don't run and would probably snatch the donut out of their hand before jumping on my bike and evangelizing the virtues of a healthy lifestyle.

Of course this is hard to do with your mouth full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prove you look like Craig Alexander...maybe you do look sickly. I can't judge unless I've seen you...and No, I'm not trying to be creepy..I just doubt you look like the reigning ironman world champion.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Dad said it told them they were overweight. My sister said, no Dad - Taylor is overwieght, it said we're obese!

I do think, as sad as it is and funny at the same time, that the Wii Fit did open there eyes and they're talking about making life changes, which I Loved!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Re: Who else gets sh*t on because they are fit? [Karaya0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At 165-170 LBS @6-7%BF i hear the same "you look sick" crap

If it's someone you don't need to be nice to, maybe you can respond with something along the lines of 'you look American'.
Quote Reply

Prev Next