Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics)
Quote | Reply
Good, bad, scam, works for some?

If i was interested in starting, where to start?
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 29, 22 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not worth it.

Don't waste your money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

the idea of prebiotics is as much about fibre as it is anything. One of the core benefits of fibre is that gut microbiota will digest it and in so doing they have food for growth, in addition this process releases beneficial metabolites of microbiotic digestion. Therefore prebiotics in general are just a fancy name for fibre (most prebiotics are fibres). So ingredients like inulin are a completely soluble fibre and are well known as a prebiotic, similar for other forms of fibre. If you want to start eat a high fibre breakfast cereal, or hot cereal each day that will provide you with plenty of healthy fibre. Eat whole grains, nuts, beans etc. All sources of fibre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just eat prebiotic foods.
apples, garlic, asparagus, leeks, under-ripe bananas, Jerusalem artichoke, dandelion greens, onions, jicama root.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
Just eat prebiotic foods.
apples, garlic, asparagus, leeks, under-ripe bananas, Jerusalem artichoke, dandelion greens, onions, jicama root.

s5100e wrote:
jaretj wrote:

the idea of prebiotics is as much about fibre as it is anything. One of the core benefits of fibre is that gut microbiota will digest it and in so doing they have food for growth, in addition this process releases beneficial metabolites of microbiotic digestion. Therefore prebiotics in general are just a fancy name for fibre (most prebiotics are fibres). So ingredients like inulin are a completely soluble fibre and are well known as a prebiotic, similar for other forms of fibre. If you want to start eat a high fibre breakfast cereal, or hot cereal each day that will provide you with plenty of healthy fibre. Eat whole grains, nuts, beans etc. All sources of fibre.

Thanks, some of my friends say they have changed their lives but I'm still skeptical. My diet isn't the greatest but it's not that bad either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if your intestinal microbiome is optimal, then they aren't of much benefit. For me, prebiotics have been hugely beneficial in combination with some varied probiotics to resolve long-running intestinal issues brought on by covid. I have a pretty good amount of fiber and fresh fruit and vegetables in my diet, but that wasn't helping sufficiently. For the prebiotic, I supplement with inulin powder which I dissolve in black coffee in the morning. The recommended dosage of a teaspoon is too much for me, so I cut that to 1/4-1/3 of that amount and take w/ a diverse probiotic and kombucha.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I'm looking into pre and probiotics and will start looking at inulin as well.

There is too much info on so many different kinds of products it's a bit overwhelming to start.

Along with so much info, there are some unrealistic claims and I'm trying to weed out the BS and see if this is worth while.

Honestly what I'm looking for is to help with weight management with pro and prebiotics as well as foods.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Dont, the current information sucks; and many of the products sold do not contain what they say they contain (I develop diagnostics and tested this about 5 years ago as a side project). In addition, it is a multifactorial problem that most scientists are not able to handle, so the data can be easily misleading.
Give it 10 more years, and you might be seeing some really interesting stuff coming through; but for now, I would not waste money.
Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I value everyone's thoughts.

Just more to think about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up any of Jamie Pugh's research as well as this site below. He's also been on a few podcasts
I'm taking the Pro-ven brand 25bill

https://lab4probiotics.co.uk/...search/lab-4-studies

https://provenprobiotics.co/...robiotic-25-billion/

Lot's of naysayers in here. I like it, and would reccomend it. its relatively cheap at 25ish/month which is cheaper than a daily yogurt for me.

I also participated in the ironman kona study that took stool samples before and after the race, with a placebo controlled probiotic. Still waiting on the results to come back but I know for sure I was on the probie.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Nov 30, 22 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the strains mentioned there are the ones I see over and over again in my research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
inulin and chicory root give some people horrible gas. Like worse than the dog. did for me. I avoid those substances and everyone in my world is happier. Lastly, I have take probiotics in the past to help very specific situations, and do not use them all the time. I have never found that they helped "weight management". Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe look into a fecal microbiota transplant
Last edited by: Adub: Nov 30, 22 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Look up any of Jamie Pugh's research as well as this site below. He's also been on a few podcasts
I'm taking the Pro-ven brand 25bill

https://lab4probiotics.co.uk/...search/lab-4-studies

https://provenprobiotics.co/...robiotic-25-billion/

Lot's of naysayers in here. I like it, and would reccomend it. its relatively cheap at 25ish/month which is cheaper than a daily yogurt for me.

I also participated in the ironman kona study that took stool samples before and after the race, with a placebo controlled probiotic. Still waiting on the results to come back but I know for sure I was on the probie.

The idea is along the right track; but the answer is more nuanced than he could possibly convey in any sales pitch currently....It really is a good line of research; and for more than just athletes....but the devil is in the details; and there are a whole lot of details that can not yet be pulled together with the currently available tools....but give it 10 years and see where we get by then.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the only issue I have with 10 years is that I'll be 65 by then
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? [Adub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/boy-bear-dave-hosking-fecal-transplant-919384/

Get a poo donor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experiences with probiotics with disclaimers:
No matter what for me:
1) I have a pretty tough stomach when it comes to racing, I rarely have GI issues during races, and I take a focused approach to training my stomach while doing workouts. I know exactly what to eat and when to eat and what will set it off.
2) I have a pretty sensitive stomach outside of racing- spicy food messes with me, as does too much dairy/cream.

For probiotics, I have taken them twice:
1) I was also part of the probiotic study mentioned earlier for Kona, and I am 99% sure I was on the probiotic. It honestly messed with my stomach in the lead up to the race no matter what I ate, but during the race, I did not have any GI issues. This isn't a change for me as noted above- I know what I can eat and what works and what doesn't. My poops were different though when on the probiotic, so obviously something going on. And different not in a pleasant way.

2) In the past during big builds and races, I have used GU energy's probiotics. My poops changed, it didn't mess with my stomach, and I was able to eat normally during my training and racing.

I can't really say that they helped or didn't. Another person linked to Dr. Pugh's research, and I have a friend who researches this as well, and he thinks there is an impact on it. Who knows- if I had a more sensitive stomach, then maybe I would have been able to help more. I don't think they do much.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the South Park episode about that...I don't think so :O
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing.

I'm still on the fence but got some probiotics from a friend and am going to give it 30 to 60 days and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
inulin and chicory root give some people horrible gas. Like worse than the dog. did for me. I avoid those substances and everyone in my world is happier. Lastly, I have take probiotics in the past to help very specific situations, and do not use them all the time. I have never found that they helped "weight management". Good luck.

Similar -- gas later in the day is why I limit the inulin to less than the recommended amount, and also make sure my pre/pro-biotic intake starts no more than 30 minutes before my first food of the day. As far as weight management, like you, I saw no change in my weight from taking these. With limited ability to exercise, I've found the only way I have been able to lose weight was to finally convince the wife to get the junk food out of the house. Combined with intermittent fasting, that cuts any snacking after my 8-hour eating window.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
jaretj wrote:

To add to this there are a lot of good things about fibre. Eat whole foods, like fruit with peel, nuts, whole grains, and the fibre is just a happy benefit. I m not a proponent if using any purified fibre source, that is the "shot cut method", instead eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains, or eat healthy and your body will thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Ryanppax -- I was also a study participant. Have you seen results yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [jessec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I sent Jamie an email around Christmas time and never got a response back either

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, curious to know the results. Had hydration issues but no GI issues at Kona. Just did IM Austria, and had milder hydration issues but also lower GI issues (not taking probiotic). Wondering if I was in the treatment or control group at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [jessec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I was in test group. But also had hydration issues. Needed 2 IVs at the finish for hyponatremia

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply

Prev Next