Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training?
Quote | Reply
I just started upping my bike training from Oly/sprint distance to HIM and am back on my maltodextrin-fueled long rides, which I've used in the past with success.

Looked for some alternatives as my 3.5 year old remaining stock was getting low (it's still like new, stored in a paint container), but still found that sports drinks are still really, really expensive. While I can readily afford even the most expensive of them, it's hard for me to justify spending $28 for 2.5 pounds of Perpetuem when I can get 50 pounds of maltodextrin (20x the amount) for $60 shipped.

Last time I bought malto, I gave away almost half of that 50 pound supply and still had enough for nearly 2 years (haven't needed it as much in the last year due to less training.)

Used it on a 60 mile long ride today and it went great. This compares to a 40 mile long ride just 4 weeks ago where I didn't bring any, and was really feeling the lack of calories (almost got the shakes) by the end.

Anyone else still rocking the bulk maltodextrin?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wife and I use it.
we throw in some electrolytes and shake it up.

works fine. for me, food is food, doesn't matter much what.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone imagine a reason why not?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [lharveyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lharveyt wrote:

I can't, but I rarely see posts or even hear of people using it anymore, where as there are TONS of threads debating what mix of Infinit, Perpetuem, or countless other things like gels etc.

Even when I mention malto on those threads, it's almost universally completely ignored - nobody even responds to it, and they just continue on with the discussion, even when people specifically ask "I need an INEXPENSIVE sports drink that works well."

To ST's credit, this is more of an issue on other forums like BT or roadbike forums - there are many more malto users who speak up here, but it's still the small minority if even that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use malto
pro woman cyclist I hang out with uses malto
local cat 1 stud uses malto

another pro cyclist cheap food tip - sweet potato.
just microwave it, toss in pocket.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
another pro cyclist cheap food tip - sweet potato. just microwave it, toss in pocket

you get more of a benefit if you eat it.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been giving it to some of my friends over the years. Nobody really wants it.
Too cheap, can't be any good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it for my train-up to IMAZ a couple years ago, cheap and it works. I would usually add a little perform for flavor (also so I would be used to it on the course if something happened). Still have a bunch as I moved and there are not a lot of long course events in/around Memphis....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Anyone else still rocking the bulk maltodextrin?

I use it for my training rides and races. I also mix with protein powder for a recovery drink. Straight water doesn't seem to work for me (doesn't sit well in my stomach while riding). I paid about $59 for 50 lbs over a year ago and I'm not quite halfway through it.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it works dont fix it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have to count everyone using cargo-pro as those using bulk malto, its the same stuff. the biggest single ingredient in hammer is maltodextrin. you can buy a smaller 12lb bag on amazon called carbo-gain. it comes in a bag and is much more manageable than a 50lb bag. cost <$40 last time i bought it. I just mix in a little whey protein and a scoop of accelerade to flavor it

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that not all maltodextrin is created equally and the term applies to a wide group of glucose polysaccharides with various molecular weights. Do your homework when picking one maltodextrin over another. You want a higher weight, assuming you want to maximize it's effectiveness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Throw in some electrolytes and honey. Perfect, and cheap. Here in the UK, 5kg for £12. Bargain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Me too. I add some Hammer endurolytes. When you "throw in some electrolytes" what specifically do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the stuff as well as generic electrolyte tabs from the pharmacy for a third of the price of the "go fast" special ones in the sports stores.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:
Keep in mind that not all maltodextrin is created equally and the term applies to a wide group of glucose polysaccharides with various molecular weights. Do your homework when picking one maltodextrin over another. You want a higher weight, assuming you want to maximize it's effectiveness.

I hear you and was aware of this before buying, but I've found that the bulk 50 lbs sack online from Honeygrain works fine and is the cheapest. Really not an issue, in my opinion. I haven't heard of anyone with a 'dysfunctional' maltodextrin, and I believe I'm buying the cheapest one out there for the weight short of getting literally industrial tonnage.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [edtlonsway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edtlonsway wrote:
I used it for my train-up to IMAZ a couple years ago, cheap and it works. I would usually add a little perform for flavor (also so I would be used to it on the course if something happened). Still have a bunch as I moved and there are not a lot of long course events in/around Memphis....

What did you do on race day, BTW? Live off-course, or bring your own malto?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started using it today. If my math was right I used about 63 grams for 250 calories. I threw in a peach Fizz tablet for electrolytes and flavor. Though I would like to find a cheaper option for that.

Took it for a spin and I think it worked better than anything else I've tried. For some reason not as heavy as the Perpetuem.

Would love to hear some modifications others would suggest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do all of you buy it?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/maltodextrin50lb.aspx

First hit on google.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
AMT04 wrote:

First hit on google.

That's the 2nd hit when I search it, but thanks. Is that what you actually use or were you just trying to suggest that I use a random suggestion by google?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
AMT04 wrote:

First hit on google.

That's the 2nd hit when I search it, but thanks. Is that what you actually use or were you just trying to suggest that I use a random suggestion by google?

It's the one I use. Just finished the first batch after 3+ years (didn't use it every week) even though I gave half away. Use a big paint-tub from the local hardware store ($3-$5.00) to store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Thanks!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it and buy it at the homebrew shop. That way I only have a to buy a pound at a time.

As a bonus, there is a shop nearish to me. So if I realize on thursday that I need some for Saturday's long ride, I can just go buy some.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still using bulk maltodextrin in training? [lharveyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lharveyt wrote:

The problem with bulk maltodextrin is there isn't a marketing department behind it and it's too cheap.

Your brain says "Well this can't be any good...it's so much cheaper than everything else!"

If you can get over that then it works well :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next