Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who's still going to work and running at lunch?
Quote | Reply
Anybody besides me still have to go into work in the midst of the shutdown, but are making the most of the hugely reduced work volume to get in a good lunch run?

I ran from work at lunch to a local park for the first time ever today, and it was absolutely lovely - with plenty of people about walking and exercising (but not congregating in groups). I suspect I'll be able to run 2x as long next week, given how slow my work has been, which makes me feel guilty for sure since I'm used to hard work, but at the same time, good that I'm doing something positive and enjoyable rather than just sulking about the state of affairs.

This CV thing is terrible, but as I've mentioned in other threads, there are definitely moments of brightness and silver linings to be had with the change of pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fortunately work from home. Just got back from a short run. Nice weather so people are out but keeping their distance of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working? Yes

Running at lunch? Didn't before, so I don't now, but there no real change in biking or running after work.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still working... But, I'm not running yet. I ran at lunch before surgery... So as soon as it's prudent to do so.... I don't know why I won't resume runnimg outside at lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have brought my stuff to run at work but every day for the past week it's rained on the days I wanted to run. Because of that I've run later in the day.

I plan to run during lunch at least two days next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. The rain. We've had 5+ inches this week. I should probably head 9cer the the "cry like a..." thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I run or bike on the trainer every day at lunch and/or after work so no real difference for me this week but the run is on a treadmill so I’m well isolated as I have my own gym at the office - I’d rather spend the time after work training than sitting I the usual Houston traffic nightmare.

I’m still working at the office but ready to work from home if the state declares that contingency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Office is open but with an immunosuppressed wife I can’t take that option. But I am certainly enjoying lunch runs and mid afternoon rides (short on traffic free paths to be safe). This week Portland decided to be unseasonably sunny and warm which is amazing and lucky

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First day WFH today, Switched from evening run to morning run last week when WFH was kicking in for the rest of the teams, Less time stress in the morning so working out well while edging back the time slightly each morning to get up.. Pretty amazing being on the road when the sun rises instead of dodging pot holes in the dark in the evening, Sleeping a lot better as well. Totally hooked on the morning run despite the reluctance of the body to adapt. First few km's are a little stiffer than evening runs.

Lunch time is swim. Less time pressure the last two weeks so able to do 2.5km instead of the 2km and take time with warm-up. Pool closed today.
:((
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m an RN and what the heck is a lunch break?? Yes working every day and I am running in the woods and riding indoors when I get home. Wife is in lab as well and she actually handles the covid samples. She literally just left for night shift - 4pm- 4 am and this is all over time for her. She is normally day shift but coverage is needed. She works out as well every day, although she took today off from it with the schedule flip and overtime. They don’t even have anywhere to eat their lunch. Messed up. Lunch break!? Ha!!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wondered how people swam, ran or biked at lunch. Usually I'm eating lunch. Unless these are incredibly short efforts I'm not sure how this is done let alone the value. Swimming really blows my mind. Between travel both ways, changing and swimming, it doesn't seem possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I always wondered how people swam, ran or biked at lunch. Usually I'm eating lunch. Unless these are incredibly short efforts I'm not sure how this is done let alone the value. Swimming really blows my mind. Between travel both ways, changing and swimming, it doesn't seem possible.

I get in anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes for a workout on a normal workday. Sounds short, but it's pretty amazing what you get get done in 30 minutes of focused work. I save a lot of my hardest efforts for those short sessions - you do 5 of those per week at lunch and you've got minimum +2.5 high quality training hours per week, which is no joke.

I have a Y membership to one that's less than 2.5 miles from my workplace, but even those are shut down now so I run during lunch. As a dude, it's easier for sure, as I just towel off well after the cooldown, no shower needed.

Sometimes I don't get to eat lunch as a result, but that's the tradeoff. And I def am really busy when I get back since work does pile up in that hour I'm gone. It's a bit painful, but worth it to me.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 21, 20 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I get in anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes for a workout on a normal workday. Sounds short, but it's pretty amazing what you get get done in 30 minutes of focused work. I save a lot of my hardest efforts for those short sessions - you do 5 of those per week at lunch and you've got minimum +2.5 high quality training hours per week, which is no joke.

I have a Y membership to one that's less than 2.5 miles from my workplace, but even those are shut down now so I run during lunch. As a dude, it's easier for sure, as I just towel off well after the cooldown, no shower needed.

Sometimes I don't get to eat lunch as a result, but that's the tradeoff. And I def am really busy when I get back since work does pile up in that hour I'm gone. It's a bit painful, but worth it to me.

I was wondering if people had to forego eating for training. Is this good skipping meals? I suppose one could have a protein bar and a piece of fruit, but considering it's also a post workout meal that sure isn't much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still postworkout fuel with a protein powder shake that i bring from home.

The reality though that for most it is not hard to squeeze in a small lunch outside of lunch hour

You can eat a small sandwich in the same time it takes to go to the bathroom. Nobody will ever notice.

And most folks should be eating way smaller lunches or going to 2 or even 1 meal a day anyway

Not a limiter in the slightest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work from home now and love a lunch time run. Your question reminded me fondly of my work in Germany. I worked for adidas, specifically adidas running, dreaming up the future of running shoes. As the running group we had lots of “competition”. In business we competed with all of the other running shoe companies. We also competed with the Soccer Group and the Originals Group. There was no competition though like the daily lunch run. First and foremost we cleared our calendars between 12-2. Our running group had a high school 4 min miler and UK champion, a Welsh marathon record holder, a Dipsea champion and 2:25 marathoner, and NCAA Champion and 2:24 marathoner and a host of others including me. That run through the forest was filled with stories, laughter and from time to time some good old competition. There was always somebody injured (all were past their prime) and there was always somebody willing to push the pace. There was also the governor who would run at the front a block anyone who tried to push the pace.

The group is split up now. One works at Hoka (He’s in charge of athletes) , one at Vans (just ran the LA Marathon 4 years after being told he’d never run again), the ring leader (probably still injured) is still at adidas but not in running, the governor lives in Boston and still holds everyone to his pace.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't run (not a triathlete), but life sort of goes on. I cannot say it is going on as normal though. I am fortunate that my 24/7 gym is one of few that remains accessible. I still go early in the morning and there is usually only one or two others in there. I talked to the one guy I know this morning and we stayed greater than 6 feet away from each other. Going to the 300 person office because I am one of a few that does not have a laptop, but I feel safe here. Maybe 7 were in the building last week and we are spread apart so it just about like being here alone.

Got in a decent 70 mile ride on Saturday with a couple of friends on rural back roads and then solo yesterday. I was surprised how many triathlon clubs and cyclists were taking off in big groups on Saturday as we went by a common parking area. We felt it better to keep to the 3 of us, did not go with the organized group invitation and parked at a different location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I work in an office environment and don't have a micromanaging boss. I block off my calendar from 11-1 every day to protect my lunch time workouts. With onsite showers, getting an hour run in is no problem. My pool is only a 5 minute commute away when open), so relatively easy to get 45 mins to an hour in. After my workout, I'll eat lunch while going through email.

Now that I'm working from home, I've taken some conference calls where I'm not a very active participant from the trainer. Only downside is the fan noise when I need to actually talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been WFH for the last week. I had hoped that I could get up early and get a workout in before signing on for the day but I have not been able to find the motivation.

It has made it easier to get in something after work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I just say fxck it...I'm salary...I'm doing whatever I want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I just say fxck it...I'm salary...I'm doing whatever I want

Those same salary folks might be on email and phone outside of "hourly" worker hours. Get your personal time when you can get it, hit your work well when it's time to do that.

I've given people this little example for years now:

Dave works 60 hour weeks. Dave chicken pecks the keyboard, doesn't know how to use formulas or macros in Excel, loves to chat for 10min at the coffee machine, and generally isn't too bright or efficient at his job.

Sally works 38 hour weeks. Sally can type like a fiend. Sally can use macros and formulas, gets her coffee and moves on, and is a brilliant and highly efficient worker.

Dave is NOT a hero for working 60 hour weeks. Dave is a moron. 60 hour work weeks are Dave's penalty for being a moron.

Sally gets done 25% more than Dave in shorter time. Sally's work/life balance is her reward for being brilliant and efficient.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Those same salary folks might be on email and phone outside of "hourly" worker hours. Get your personal time when you can get it, hit your work well when it's time to do that.

I've given people this little example for years now:

Dave works 60 hour weeks. Dave chicken pecks the keyboard, doesn't know how to use formulas or macros in Excel, loves to chat for 10min at the coffee machine, and generally isn't too bright or efficient at his job.

Sally works 38 hour weeks. Sally can type like a fiend. Sally can use macros and formulas, gets her coffee and moves on, and is a brilliant and highly efficient worker.

Dave is NOT a hero for working 60 hour weeks. Dave is a moron. 60 hour work weeks are Dave's penalty for being a moron.

Sally gets done 25% more than Dave in shorter time. Sally's work/life balance is her reward for being brilliant and efficient.

Yep, I'm Sally for sure. Always wonder what all those people that constantly whine about being SOOOO busy and cannot get everything done. Unless I'm traveling, 40 hours is about it most weeks, get things done and go home. It could look like I am a slacker, but my performance reviews say otherwise.

And I usually swim at lunch, can get about 2km in, and as long as I stay focused and get right down to business and not sit at the edge of the pool psyching myself out to get in to the cold water for 10 min, I can get done, rinsed off, and back in the office in 1:10 or so, similar time to all the other fools that go to a sit down restaurant for lunch.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was swimming 2K at lunch I was back in about 1:10 as well

It was basically 15 min to get there, swimming for 40 min then 15 min to get back.

I'd see people at LTF waiting for their own lane. I'd just walk in front of them and split a lane with someone. If they didn't like it I told them to read the pool rules and then talk to the lifeguard or management.

I didn't have time to fool around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

yep - my entire competitive tri career was founded on 45-min lunchtime workouts.. run out the office door, bike from there, swimming was toughest but had a pool 3min away. Sandwich at my desk while pondering the latest set of log files/heap dumps/thread dumps.. work an extra 15-30min at end or beginning of day sometimes.

not going to work, wfh and office closed. We're staying busy, no rest for the innocent here.

Trying to run at lunch but the trails are too busy for comfort. CO governor just suggested running less often..

I'm 60 and have asthma. In Italy they're not giving anyone over 60 a ventilator.. it's likely to be similar here, trajectories look the same, and we have fewer hospital beds per capita than Italy.

So, either early early mornings, or I'm going back to the suburban streets, plenty of room there..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I have brought my stuff to run at work but every day for the past week it's rained on the days I wanted to run. Because of that I've run later in the day.

I plan to run during lunch at least two days next week.

Not going to run at work any time soon. I'm now off until the April 13th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running from home after my work from home day ends.. beats sitting in LA traffic for hours on end.
Quote Reply

Prev Next