Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard?
Quote | Reply
who's intending to get one?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on purchasing an inflatable one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon killed my SUP addiction...

But having transitioned through multiple hardboards and inflatables, I'd 2nd the idea of going inflatable.
SUPs are bigger than you'd think, in person. Monstrous, actually. Storing them is a major PITA.

Inflatables are high quality now, and only suffer in terms of high-end surfability.
If you're a casual surfer, or just a flatwater paddler, inflatables much better option, IMO.
Usually leave mine inflated for the season...
Comfortable underfoot, won't hurt yourself falling off, and they don't get dinged carrying across the parking lot or putting onto roof of car.
Get a reputable name-brand ($$$) and you won't be disappointed.
And always wear a leash and waist-pfd!
Last edited by: spookini: Jun 20, 18 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wife.

That’s her thing. She even brings the dog(s) while she paddles. Her board is 10+ years old and highly beat up. She’s aching for a new one with the same emotion that I’m aching for a new bike.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We’ve got a couple that we use in the lakes and slow moving rivers around here. I personally enjoy kayaks much more. If I were to splurge I’d rather upgrade the kayaks.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
We’ve got a couple that we use in the lakes and slow moving rivers around here. I personally enjoy kayaks much more. If I were to splurge I’d rather upgrade the kayaks.

are you sure you don't need a new stand up paddleboard?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought two inflatables back in March. pretty happy with the decision
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have four (4) we keep up at the family lake house on LBJ but will need to upgrade the two (2) kids boards as they are outgrowing them now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just looking into it this morning actually. Until yesterday (your post referencing the Xterra board) I had no idea that quality inflatable boards were a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [TJL3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be getting one

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at one on clearance last season but didn't pull the trigger. Still deciding between an all-around cruising SUP or a touring/racing model.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was thinking of getting one next winter (just moved to Dubai, sea here is too hot for doing much in summer). Sounds like inflatable is the way to go, any particular brands you'd recommend? Have their been recent improvements in inflatables which mean it's not worth going secondhand?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's your balance?, have you ever SUP'd?

If good and yes, you might enjoy the increased glide & speed of touring/racing board.
If looking to take dog or child or significant other on the board, all-around could be better choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alrighty! my job is done here! for those of you who don't recognize that this was a specific exercise, you still have plenty of time. we still have powertap power pedals, a cycleops hammer, a saris bike rack, xterra wetsuit and a lot of other stuff to give away.

HoustonTri(er) checked to boxes, as it were.

1. he needed a new stand up paddleboard.
2. he entered our circ drive.

congrats to you. an xterra stand up paddleboard is on the way.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome - thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have one for the lake, been out on it for the past few years.

It's OK but not stoked with SUP - compared to surfing and certainly water-skiing (or even cycling), it's like watching paint dry (SLOW). And it's a weird torque on the core I don't like too much.

I rather just swim where I need to go :)

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the market for 2. Wife says no longer allowed to buy toys in a quantity of 1... ;-)

I've always been leery of inflatables but that was based on experiences from 5-8 years ago.

What brands of inflatables should I be looking at??

-moyes
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [Moyes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moyes wrote:
In the market for 2. Wife says no longer allowed to buy toys in a quantity of 1... ;-)

I've always been leery of inflatables but that was based on experiences from 5-8 years ago.

-moyes

mine are iRocker all around boards. one is 10 feet and the other is 11. i don't really notice a difference between 'em. these things are solid. i have no worry about them just giving out all of a sudden or puncturing due to a casual rock scrape. it takes about 6 minutes to inflate them with the pumps they came with but apparently now they're shipping with upgraded pumps.

i might eventually give racing a shot and only if i'm not terrible at it will i consider a solid racing board
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is hard to keep it inflated for the season if you don't go with a reputable brand IMHO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mind says no, but my shoulders, core, and swim times say yes, yes Jason you do, now get off your lazy arse and go steal the neighbors...
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats man - I just bought a lakehouse and have been looking at SUP's for me and the wife. Enjoy and give us some feedback on the Xterra when you have a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thought has crossed my mind several times over the last 5 years. I tend to put the money into bike stuff instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in the market for a stand up paddleboard? [Moyes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moyes wrote:

Most are pretty good now. I just wouldn't cheap out and buy a $400 special off Amazon.
Check out any of the real SUP brands you'd see in a surf shop: Red Paddle Co, Fanatic, Starboard, et al.

Most inflatables now employ the same 'drop-stitch' construction.
Some have thicker skins, double or triple-layer, pvc or kevlar stringers to keep board stiffer (less flex).
My last inflatable accepted a w'surf sail, which was a lot of fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been wanting two inflatable SUP’s for me and the wife for a while.

Also power tap pedals would be awesome since all my cycling friends tell me I need to start riding with
Power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan

Any chance that Xterra would extend their killer sale prices on their SUPs to ST members that have registered for the CIRC?

db
Quote Reply

Prev Next