Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who's in early tri photo?
Quote | Reply
Diana Nyad just posted a photo from early 1980s Ironman. Can you tell who the names of the two guys beside her? Post: https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

If that doesn't work, here's just the image: https://tinyurl.com/qn6mzpm.

Here's a lo-res version:

Thanks!

-Daniel Slosberg
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in early tri photo? [danslos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danslos wrote:
Diana Nyad just posted a photo from early 1980s Ironman. Can you tell who the names of the two guys beside her? Post: https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

If that doesn't work, here's just the image: https://tinyurl.com/qn6mzpm.

Here's a lo-res version:

the shorter one is dave mcgillivray, i'd say. perhaps monty can identify the other one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donald Lockerbie on the left, And Dave on the right, with Diana in the middle of course..She went on to also be the swim commentator for the next years race that Dan and I did in Kona '81. We became pretty good friends, as she had sought out who they believed would be the lead swimmers, so she could be a more informed commentator.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty and Dan.

So that's 1980? That year, I finished the swim tied for second (behind some guy named Dave Scott) and faded from there. During the bike, the ABC vehicle pulled up beside me. Nyad stuck her head out and said something like, "What happened?"

I'm a full-on Nyad skeptic, which I won't go into here. However, I find it par for the course that she would post that photo without bothering to identify the two other people in it.

-Daniel Slosberg, former marathon swimmer and triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I was shocked by that. I'm guess I'm like most people (I asked my wife and got the same general response) and thought, "Oh, yeah. Diana Nyad. She was that woman who was the first to make several long swims -New York and Florida to Cuba, I think."
I don't think I'll ever understand the thought process of these people. Someone said that they say to themselves, "Oh, I could have done it if it weren't for(whatever obstacle) So I'll just say I did it." Then they are stuck with it. Perhaps we should start a thread about these people! What? Oh...............
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in early tri photo? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derek Murphy at marathoninvestigation.com is doing great work investigating tri cheaters. I have no idea what goes through the minds of most of these folks. But Nyad, IMH(and completely uneducated)O, is a pathological narcissist who feels like she deserves to succeed at everything, even when she doesn't--which turns out to be most of the time.

One thing she's amazing at, though, is convincing the non-marathon-swimming public that she's amazing. If you know any experienced marathon swimmers, ask them what they think of her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danslos wrote:
If you know any experienced marathon swimmers, ask them what they think of her.
Agreed! They think very little of her “accomplishments”.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in early tri photo? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find Donald Lockerbie in the results. Did he finish? Could it be an error in the list?

Thanks,

-Daniel
Diana Nyad Fact Check
Diana Nyad Fact Check Annex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know the guy per se, but on Dave Mcgivalery FB page, he lists that name as the other guy. So maybe a pic of someone that was not in the race, or a mistake on the naming. Does he look familiar to you?

And I share you sentiments on Diana's Barnum and Bailly circus swims. Sadly, most of the world will never really know most the real study long distance swimmers out there. Although the 4 time crossing of Sarah just recently was pretty well covered. But of course more people saw the CNN coverage with Sanjay Gupta heaping all this praise on Diana for crossing the channel from Cuba to Florida, which he probably believes too!!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's in early tri photo? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Monty. I don't recognize the other fellow. I just sent a friend request, though, to Dave McGillivray. Maybe he can shed some light.

Glad to hear your thoughts about Ms. Nyad. So many great marathon swimmers deserve the accolades that Nyad steals, Sarah being at the top of the heap. What she did last summer still takes my breath away.

Nyad's a fraud and a con artist (albeit a great one). She is marathon swimming's Lance Armstrong.

Some day the truth will out, though I'm not holding my breath.

"Diana is such a joke to anybody who knows anything about marathons."
—John Kinsella, via Chicago Tribune, 27 Aug 1978
Quote Reply