Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who's doing Rev3 Quassy?
Quote | Reply
I'm on the fence about racing , this would be my forth consecutive race at Quassy but given the fact they are doing both Olympic and Half (I usually race the Half) on the same day makes me reluctant (for safety purposes) to spend $500 (lodging and entree fee) for a potentially crowded race (not withstanding pre-race/post race) . Rev3 does an excellent race year after year but part of me just thinks this could end up being a stressful weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Olympic, although I have never done either option in this event before. It's effectively a hometown race for me so I have no outside requirements for lodging etc.... which lowers the stress and potential downside.

From the schedule it looks like the Oly is going off 35 minutes (first wave to first wave) before the Half, but the bike course does appear to be identical for the first 13mi before Half diverges and keeps going north, so I suppose it is possible to get some crowds if the fast swimmers of the Half catch up to the back end of the Oly. Looks like last year they had 30 minutes worth of waves, but as both races are on the same day I would think they may compress that so there is more than 5 minutes in between the last Oly and first Half group.

Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you ask...have been on the fence (for some of the reasons you describe) and decided today to pass this year. Have done it three years in a row and have enjoyed but the idea of having half and oly on same day seemed like a bad idea to me. also, those hills.... :)
problem now is looking for another race around that time in the the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
I'm on the fence about racing , this would be my forth consecutive race at Quassy but given the fact they are doing both Olympic and Half (I usually race the Half) on the same day makes me reluctant (for safety purposes) to spend $500 (lodging and entree fee) for a potentially crowded race (not withstanding pre-race/post race) . Rev3 does an excellent race year after year but part of me just thinks this could end up being a stressful weekend.

Hi JTNY
I will be there for the Oly. I've done both, numerous times, including the 'full revolution' twice. The bike courses overlap, but aren't totally the same but the roads are somewhat narrow (and hilly) so congestion could be an issue this year with both on Sunday.

I hope to see you there.
(On another note-still thinking about your bike. I cracked my 2012 Cervelo P2 frame and now have a backup bike but would like to put all my components on a solid P2 frame...still mulling it over...)
Dale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the half as a tuneup for IMLP. Hoping that there won't be much congestion on the bike course, as I should be doing a lot of passing.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. They posted a video saying it may be a time trial start seeded by swim time (self seeded), so if people are honest, I doubt the bike course will be bad.

35 minutes between the start of each race, so the fast swimmers in the Olympic will be well up the road before the fast 70.3 leave the water.

Bike course looks to be the same route for 10-12 miles, so there shouldn't be much interaction between the 2 races between the Olympic "head start" 70.3 longer swim and then only 10-12 miles of the same hilly bike course

I'm sure a few FOP 70.3'ers will catch a few BOP Olympics, but I cant imagine those in the back will be in packs causing any issues and I'd hope the FOP 70.3'ers will be respectful as they pass and not cause any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [jonnies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only found out last Thursday that both the Olympic and Half bike courses are different this year than last, and the half run course is also different. I really liked the previous bike courses so I was kind of bummed. I’ll be doing the Olympic this year.

If you’re looking for another race around the same time and in the same place then check out the Griskus Olympic (or mid-week Sprint). Both are good races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for Half. Run course is 2 loops now. Transition will be packed.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I'll be there. They posted a video saying it may be a time trial start seeded by swim time (self seeded), so if people are honest, I doubt the bike course will be bad.

35 minutes between the start of each race, so the fast swimmers in the Olympic will be well up the road before the fast 70.3 leave the water.

Bike course looks to be the same route for 10-12 miles, so there shouldn't be much interaction between the 2 races between the Olympic "head start" 70.3 longer swim and then only 10-12 miles of the same hilly bike course

I'm sure a few FOP 70.3'ers will catch a few BOP Olympics, but I cant imagine those in the back will be in packs causing any issues and I'd hope the FOP 70.3'ers will be respectful as they pass and not cause any issues.

Thanks for shedding light on the bike and run course, however, the pre-race and post race experience will probably be stressful given the number of participants (esp during bike check in and transition open times). I think I am going to pass this year, at least it gives me more time to train for IM Canada 70.3 in July .
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
I'm in for Half. Run course is 2 loops now. Transition will be packed.

I hadn't thought about that. There is certainly a lot of extra space available and it could extend a bit up towards the parking lot. I imagine that parking will be even HARDER.

Get there early!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
JTNY wrote:

I hope to see you there.
(On another note-still thinking about your bike. I cracked my 2012 Cervelo P2 frame and now have a backup bike but would like to put all my components on a solid P2 frame...still mulling it over...)
Dale

I lowered my price to $1500 (thats the lowest I'll go) LMK! sorry I'll probably be skipping Quassy this year . Also can get you get the P2 frame replaced via warranty??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:

I'm with you. I've done both races for each of the past two years and would have done them again this year. But I always thought that thing was crowded enough. Having both races on the same day - not really something I would want. I understand why they felt they had to do it but it's sad all the same. Add to that the fact that the Half-Iron folks are going to have to start later, when it's warmer, in a place that is typically pretty warm already. Ugh.

I'll see how this year goes and maybe in the future do the Olympic
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I'm with you. I've done both races for each of the past two years and would have done them again this year. But I always thought that thing was crowded enough. Having both races on the same day - not really something I would want. I understand why they felt they had to do it but it's sad all the same. Add to that the fact that the Half-Iron folks are going to have to start later, when it's warmer, in a place that is typically pretty warm already. Ugh.

I'll see how this year goes and maybe in the future do the Olympic

Yea paying ~$150-$200 for lodging, $300 for reg fee and being in a crowded expo, a crowded morning transition area, a crowded race (a later half start means more sun in your face on the swim back), a crowded post race just didn't sound appealing to me. Good luck to all those who are racing and do share your experiences!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the oly, did it in 2013 and 2014 so looking forward to racing there again. I was bummed they have it all on one day, but nothin I can do about thay except put a smile on and race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think b mcmaster laid out the actual race progression pretty well and wont be an issue, although inevitably the venue will be taxed.

eric o the rd puts a fair bit of thought into things and will have the venue well managed. i'd estimate the additional transition space needed for oly athletes will take up approxiately 100 parking spots at the venue itself, so not a huge amount given the totals and i imagine most end up parking off site anyway. i'll be at the bike turnaround in litchfield, say hello.

for a simple less crowded option with an oly/du/sprint option, see sig line.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look like bib #'s or waves are posted yet. Any ideas when that and the athlete guide for this year will be available?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for the half

Hear it’s hilly which suits me - Flo disk or Enve’s ?

I know always a disk but thought I would ask someone that has done it

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I am in for the half

Hear it’s hilly which suits me - Flo disk or Enve’s ?

I know always a disk but thought I would ask someone that has done it

Cheers

Disc (always)
There isn't usually significant cross wind to worry about. If you like hills, you picked the right race.

The bike course for the half has 9 miles which are +100 feet or greater (one is +194). The seven mile climb from 23-31 will be most memorable as you can see all the cyclists up ahead of you for a large portion of it. Be careful of the 'S' plunge at mile 32. Too fast and you'll be on the ground.

You'll enjoy screaming down past the farm/cows on ?mile 46and then down for two miles down during Mile 51/52 before the +194 foot hill mile at 53. Almost every mile is either up or down.

My Garmin file from 2016. I did the Oly with my young son and the Half with my older son the next day. This is from the Half IM bike.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1200162641

My notes:
Same badass bike course. Up or down and it seems like it's mostly up. You've got to get through the long segment in the middle before getting to the fun downhills on the back half and the rollers which are more tolerable. Course is a single loop with +3500 feet of elevation and a seven mile grind from 23-31. In reality, it is 4 hard miles, some false flats. (23.5-24.5/25.5-26.5/27-28/30-31). After that section, you get to go down the S Plunge at mile 32, very dicey but at least I didn't see anyone crashed at that point this year. Then some rollers until the most fun mile from 46-47 down hill super fast past the cows.

Last edited by: dtoce: May 2, 18 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Who's doing Rev3 Quassy? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I second the suggestion for the Griskus Olympic two weeks later if anyone is looking for a good race that is less crowded and low key. The race has a lot of fast people, but overall the logistics are easier than Quassy. You can sign in and rack your bike on race morning without any additional fee, and overall it is just less hectic. I like the run course at Quassy better, but Griskus is an excellent option to consider.

I also second the Griskus Race series! Tom does an OUTSTANDING job as RD. The venue is beautiful with lots of overlap, obviously. I did the sprint twice (the second during the oly which was offered as an option instead of the Oly that day).

Great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I used to email a runner with your last name from the South Windsor area, years ago before I started triathlon. Is that you?

Possibly. My 'running years' were age 40-50. I'm now in my 'triathlon years' at age 57 (50-?60). I was more active on other forums back then.

PM sent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
Yup, it's you. I recognize the last name. I won't say your first name but it rhymes with sale.

I'm now hoping that I didn't give any bad advice..
:)
Dale
Quote Reply

Prev Next