Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who's Aging Up?
Quote | Reply
I got into Triathlon, consistently, in the 35-39 AG. I always thought aging up would get easier competition until I realized the 40-44 were animals. Now I'm going into the 45-49 and it's become the biggest AG and times just as fast as 40-44 and in some cases, faster. Damnit man. Who's excited to move up?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In a few weeks I will be moving from the 55-59 to the 60-65 group. Am I excited? No, I feel much different about turning 60 than I did for 40 or 50. 60 seems kind of old.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm excited to move up to 60-64. We are young again LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [leewalther] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - several of us going into 60-64 . . . it will be my 39th consecutive year of triathlons!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have more hair than anyone in my age group..................I win.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 60-64 age group appears to be the popular age group to age up to. I will also be aging up to that group. Kind of ironic as that is about the age you start seeing significant drop off in participation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get 59 next year. I'll show those 55-year-old brats that I'm still there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving up to 40-44, which is also the entry point into the Masters category in our local race series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, this aging up thing doesn't always work out.

In the last race where I podiumed (is that a word) I wouldn't have in the next age group up.
I have three years to improve (or quit). Assuming I make it that far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I got into Triathlon, consistently, in the 35-39 AG. I always thought aging up would get easier competition until I realized the 40-44 were animals. Now I'm going into the 45-49 and it's become the biggest AG and times just as fast as 40-44 and in some cases, faster. Damnit man. Who's excited to move up?

Today happens to be my 39th birthday. As a December birthday person, I always race one year older than I really am. So next year its 40-44 for me. I am not sure how I feel about it. As a FOP guy I know I still have serious competition in this AG (perhaps even stronger), but I suspect my days of chasing the overall podium at local races will soon come to an end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been preparing for two years for moving up to the 50-54 age group next year. In my last race in the 45-49 age group the guy who wins the 50-54 age group is 3 minutes faster than the winner of the 45-49 age group. The 5th place 50-54 guy is only 3 minutes slower than the 5th place 45-49 guy. FML.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to live over 80 and win age group every single time just by register, show up and finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn’t realize until I read your post and thought about my age, but I am jumping up to same age group as you. I’ve been doing triathlons for about 15 years and every single time I have aged up, my group is more competitive!!! I was hoping 45-49 might change that but I guess not.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 19, 19 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think this 50-54 is the old fast 40-44 that raised the bar, then did the same in the 45-49, then moved to the 50-54. I believe they are to blame for all these faster requirements across the board that we now have to meet or exceed, haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not aging up to 40-44 until 2021 but wish it was this year. I get all the people saying that the AGs are still super competitive, but overall it should be slightly slower. The fastest 40-44 guy in the country will not be as fast as the fastest 35-39. It just comes down to who shows up as always. I am excited about AG'g up though because I haven't been at this very long and I'm still getting faster. So hopefully while I'm getting faster, some of the fastest guys are slowing just a hair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This season was my first in the 30-34 AG. So far, it seems to be the same level of competition from 25-29.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bunch of races had 3 slots for 40-44 this year (down from 4), and accordingly 50-54 bumped to 4. At AZ, all three of those middle aged groups had 4.

Moving into 45-49 assures you of 4 slots being available at every race.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you won't get much relief for about 15-20 years. It will keep you motivated.

Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True but the fast times are deeper.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh...Like many others, I'll be 60-64 in 2020. But I don't *feel* 60. Thanks to a lifetime of endurance training and racing! When I see 60 y/o that are sedentary, in general...*ugh*. Todd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm aging up to 50-54 in January (just turned 49)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I'm planning to live over 80 and win age group every single time just by register, show up and finish.

This is literally everyone's plan until crappy health issues cut you down. Run-ending arthritis is just one of them; back arthritis will also kill your entire sports career. Then there's cancer, other chronic diseases, etc.

I predict (as has some sports science analysts) that you'll see the 60+ world records plummet in the next 20 years as the upcoming 35-50 age cohort that is very health conscious pushes the limits of what old people can do.

Our kids will literally be looking at the winning times for the 65+ categories in 15-20 years and think "pffffht. What's all this complaining about aging when the 65+ers are going faster than the vast majority of us 20 year olds!?!"
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in the 50-54 this year. I wish I was in the 25-29 age group. There is less competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

I have more hair than anyone in my age group! But, none of it is on my head.
Quote Reply

Prev Next