Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who’s using Whoop?
Quote | Reply
Curious as to real world feedback and how it’s helped or changed training?
Last edited by: mike s: May 12, 19 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s using Whoop? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of trying to return mine before the company's guarantee/return period expires, but so far they haven't been responsive to my request and haven't processed the return/refund (it's been 5 days since I made the request and was well within the period for returns under the company's written guarantee/return policies). I am trying to return it because I found myself repeatedly questioning the accuracy of the information it was giving me. For instance, every time I took a shower the Whoop reported my time in the shower as a high strain activity, and a number of my slow, leisurely walks were categorized as vigorous activity. Also, the device reported me sleeping for at least 2 more hours/night then I actually slept. There were many nights that I dealt with insomnia and was up and about in the middle of the night only to find in the morning that the whoop reported me asleep during the time I was wide awake in the middle of the night. I've found it very frustrating that the company provides a written guarantee policy but hasn't been responsive to my request to exercise my rights under that policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s using Whoop? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Literally ordered one last night. I hope my experience is better than yours. It's a bummer to hear that though.

I'll try to remember to post here after I get it and use it for a week or so.

In some of my research, it said it (I'm assuming the app) asks you questions during the first couple days that help calibrate it (like after a workout). Was that your experience?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats one of my interests is the sleep tracking. I have some serious issues with sleep, take Lunesta which is hit or miss. Do you input your sleep/wake time or does it track extended non movement as sleep?
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s using Whoop? [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I kept telling it that my showers were not actually “activities” by deleting them as “activities,” but for weeks it continued to report them as such, up until I stopped using the device. Also, I reported my leisurely walks as very low on the RPE index every time but that didn’t seem to have any impact. I didn’t feel like my user input was ever taken into account at all by the device, but I only used it for 27 days before giving up in frustration. Now I’m dealing with a different frustration, that of trying to get the company to honor the terms of its written policy and process my return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it process my sleep automatically because I try not to look at the clock when I wake up in the middle of the night so wouldn’t know what times to tell it I was awake. I wanted to use it to be able to monitor my middle of the night awake time automatically but that didn’t work for me because nights when I knew I’d been awake for hours the Whoop didn’t reflect that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it since last July and have been pretty happy with it. I have dramatically improved my sleep time and have a much greater focus on recovery than I had previously. It's like gamifying your recovery and of course, I always want to win and that is a good thing in this case.

It tracks a number of different metrics, some reported, some not and provides you with a daily sleep summary, strain score (overall stress, not just workout related) and a recovery score. The recovery score is on a scale of 100 and is broken down into 3 segments: Red/Run Down, Yellow/OK To Operate and Green/Peaking Physically. I find that it actually tracks pretty well and use caution when I am Red or low Yellow. I usually don't make significant changes unless I am Red for multiple days.

A good example of how it tracks is this weekend. Thursday was a long day at work capped by a stressful night meeting that ran until 10pm. My recovery was Red on Friday and thankfully it was a recovery day. On Saturday I was still low yellow, but forged ahead with my workout: 5x15' Threshold Intervals, since it was only one Red day. I crashed and burned on the second interval. I ultimately pulled the plug and did some endurance work and spent the rest of the day recovering. Today, my recovery was high Yellow (2 pts from Green) so I went back and redid the workout from yesterday and I crushed it. I even set an all-time 90' power PR according to Training Peaks.

Feedback on a few of the comments and just misc info:
Sleep Tracking: I have had no issues with tracking sleep. It senses body temperature changes as to when it triggers sleep. It has been pretty accurate for me and haven't seen any major deviations. It's a wrist band and does need to be snug to the wrist. Just snug enough to not able to slide a finger under it.

Activities: You don't have to record "activities," but it helps when you look back to see why you strain was high on a particular day. It uses elevated HR and motion to detect activities. It does pick up my showers and daily food prep as an activity because I am moving around fairly quickly for an extended period of time. Conversely, it doesn't always pick up recovery rides on the trainer because my HR is low and there is no movement. Again, this has nothing to do with the data output, they only markers to look back at. For cycling, they say the arm band is better, but the one issue I have is that changing bands daily is a little tedious, so I just keep it on the wrist.

HR Readings: This is the one I was the most sceptical about since it is a wrist based optical sensor. I always wear a HR strap and have been surprised at close the Whoop is compared to my chest strap. The Whoop is always a few beat lower, but is pretty darn close.

Strain: This really helps you see what is impacting your life. Hint: your workouts are only a small part of the stress you body is going through. With all my training and racing, I have been shocked to find that vacations and the disruption of my schedule that they cause are the things that take the most time for me to recover from. I had a great trip to Asheville last year and it took my two weeks before my recovery score was Green again. It's really opened my eyes to trying to manage the rest of my life.

All that said, it's another data point to use to manage yourself and not a magic bullet. My coach had never heard of it before I got it and now it's one of the things he looks at when we review my week and we talk about how it and my TSS dovetail together. It's been eye opening for him and has been really useful in understanding why certain things (yesterday's workout) happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used mine for a few weeks and returned. I found the data to be way off what my HR monitor showed and I wasn’t crazy about having both a watch on and the Whoop on my other wrist. I really wanted to like it but didn’t. They were great about doing the return
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
Yes. I kept telling it that my showers were not actually “activities” by deleting them as “activities,” but for weeks it continued to report them as such, up until I stopped using the device. Also, I reported my leisurely walks as very low on the RPE index every time but that didn’t seem to have any impact. I didn’t feel like my user input was ever taken into account at all by the device, but I only used it for 27 days before giving up in frustration. Now I’m dealing with a different frustration, that of trying to get the company to honor the terms of its written policy and process my return.

Maybe you should be less 'active' in the shower!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I open up a can on the competition last weekend. Does that count 😂

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it for six months December 2017 through May 2018 and then did not renew.

I went through three straps in 2 months, and on the 3rd I just used the hydroband since that material was the least crappy - technica lasted about two weeks and the pulse was about one week. Constantly stretched out. I did get a coupon code for the third one, so there's that.

Sure, it tracks sleep, and recovery, I guess, but I know how I feel in the morning, so having it tell me whether I am primed to go, or not, did not tell me anything I couldn't feel myself anyway.

I thought their support was just junk. No matter what the issue they always responded more or less telling me it was my fault. Wear it on non-dominant hand, or try your dominant hand. Wear it an inch from your wrist. Or higher. Or lower. Or higher still. They would tell me I am wearing it too tight. Next time I checked in it was too loose. Then they asked if I threaded it right so I sent them an f'in picture so they would stop blaming me with BS. I am not kidding here.

My garmin fenix always gets my sleep right. WHOOP got it wrong all the time. Often WHOOP will get about a couple hours of my sleep and then miss the next 5-7 hours. I'm diabetic so I get up at night. Frequently. I'm also old, so you know I gotta pee at night too. This getting up confuses WHOOP and so it just thinks I only slept for a couple of hours. Garmin never gets confused with my getting up. WHOOP's answer was manual input. Yeah, ok, that's what I want to do all the time.

It also sucks with discovering activities. I could go for a run, or a ride, and it would not discover the activity. But take a shower, do the dishes, fold laundry, and I crushed the workout it discovered. Not an exaggeration. I could do a light workout and it would give me a really high reading. For example, one day a 9 mile run with 1,000ft of climbing was 16.0 of strain. Then that same day I made dinner and it detected that as an activity and said it was an 8.8 strain. Maybe HRV is real, maybe not.

I ran the LA Marathon and it said DAY AFTER that since I got 7.0 hours sleep I was ready for high strain 16.0+ - and yet it was also telling me that I should have had 2:54 hours more sleep if I wanted to "peak perform" -- because that's what you want to do the day after a marathon. High strain and peak performance.

One day I raced and it showed 19.7 strain -- but no activities. It was a triathlon. So 3 activities, right? Whoop detected none of them. When I asked WHOOP they once again blamed me and asked if I was wearing it high enough on my arm. Because it is always the user's fault with them. Or maybe that is why they sell a bicep strap. Maybe they just wanted me to buy a bicep strap.

About a week later I did a basic bike/run brick workout. It saw the 2 activities. I also recorded 20.5 strain and said it was "more strenuous than 100% of all days across WHOOP athletes" which sounds like BS. Are the pro athletes not on the same platform as I am because I'm pretty sure my day was not harder than their day.

Oh, and my Boston marathon strain was not as high as the strain of my basic workout. None of my races were really that high of a strain compared to workouts. How can that be.

I suspect that WHOOP bills you 6 months in advance because if they didn't then their new users would stop using it about 2-3 months in and that's only because the first month is "learning" you as a user (more BS) -- otherwise people would probably stop using it the first month or so with all the faulty readings.

And I sure did hate charging the thing pretty much every damn day.

I think overall it is useless data. Or garbage data depending on how much you want to hate on it. Yet other people seem to love it -- like Phil Gaimon on Twitter, and his pics show he is still wearing the original one, which is the size of a phone book. The 2.0 is only the size of the original cell phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless they changed it, you get no useful data for the first month.
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s using Whoop? [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I ran the LA Marathon and it said DAY AFTER that since I got 7.0 hours sleep I was ready for high strain 16.0+ - and yet it was also telling me that I should have had 2:54 hours more sleep if I wanted to "peak perform" -- because that's what you want to do the day after a marathon. High strain and peak performance.

About a week later I did a basic bike/run brick workout. It saw the 2 activities. I also recorded 20.5 strain and said it was "more strenuous than 100% of all days across WHOOP athletes" which sounds like BS. Are the pro athletes not on the same platform as I am because I'm pretty sure my day was not harder than their day.

Oh, and my Boston marathon strain was not as high as the strain of my basic workout. None of my races were really that high of a strain compared to workouts. How can that be.

I

My experience was similar. On my easy days it often gave me higher strain scores than my hard days. On days I slept terribly it would give me super high recovery scores. The data it was giving me just didn't make sense, and it seemed to give me conflicting messages about my "recovery."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using mine since last Thursday and am so far pleased with it. It's recognized my activities automatically, and the HR values and sleep information seem accurate. Monday was the first day it calculated a recover score (it has to have a certain number of sleeps before it calculates it), but since I didn't workout yesterday I'm interested to see how/if it changes after today's workout.

It very much seems like this device is one that works well for some people, and not for others. I'm going to give it a good month before deciding whether or not to continue, but so far I'm liking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, Whoop announced their 3.0 strap yesterday. To be honest being a member for less than a week, I'm disappointed that they are wanting $120 to upgrade to this new version. I've sent an email to their customer support to see about getting the upgrade given the short time I've been a customer (if I had waited five days to sign-up, I would have gotten the 3.0 version for no additional cost). We'll see what they say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see why they wouldn't exchange it for you... given their return policy, you could just return it, and buy the 3.0 again.

Looks the upgrades are longer (5-day) battery life and Bluetooth BLE heart rate broadcast. Both are good features worthy of an upgrade IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s using Whoop? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - just heard back and they are going to exchange it. So far my customer service experience has been really good. Before that they've answered 3-4 general questions I've asked within less than 24 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good to hear. I know a few of my friends recently bought one (at my recommendation), I will let them know too.

Personally, I don't have any issues with Whoop, both as a product or their customer service. Like with any new products in gen1, they have had their issues and bugs but they've been pretty good in fixing them in a timely manner. Whoop works for me and helped my training. As long as you don't expect perfection from day 1, and treat this as another useful input/data point, you will be happy.
Quote Reply