Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Whitfield's Tweet - meaning?
Quote | Reply
I'll admit I haven't followed the ITU series as closely as others, but what is the meaning of Simon Whitfield's tweet this AM:

simon whitfield ‏@simonwhitfield
gutted 2c Paula so upset. There are some people that need 2b held accountable here, total incompetence before they jumped ship.#shameful

Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [RPMacDonald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could it be related to how many bikes crashed in the same turn area of the bike?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or her coaching changes? maybe she got some bad advice regarding how to handle her injury?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tweet and ask him. Direct message even.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes you just want to be alone (photo by dcrainmaker):

https://twitter.com/...009386807297/photo/1

cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you saw her post race interview full of crying and apology.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could mean several things but I think Paula gave her full effort out there. Not sure if the full story will be made public
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked and maybe we will get an answer but I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listening to Barrie Shepley's commentary, he intimated strongly that Paula was not race fit, not having raced in 10 months - kind of see his point - not sure why she didn't race in Edmonton unless her lack of fitness would have shown her as a non-contender and destroyed any confidence she had.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was likely still injured and couldn't race in Edmonton.

I assume his tweet is saying she was given bad advice somewhere.

As usual TriCan destroys another career
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [Jackb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackb wrote:
As usual TriCan destroys another career

Care to expand on this? I know Sweetland has had years worth of issues but who else? And how much influence does TriCan have over these athletes in their training, racing and medical decisions?

I'm saddened that Findlay felt the need to apologize to Canada. She literally sacrificed her health to have a chance to compete. I didn't see Canadian coverage but hopefully they explained the situation. It would also be nice if they got to the bottom of Whitfield's tweet as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I doubt Paula will be back within 12 months
Last edited by: Jackb: Oct 9, 12 5:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed - i don't feel like trican's ever had much of a comprehensive plan except to unleash simon for the odd big win and then cycle through a revolving cast of female elites, for years now. it's a shame, because from olympic to ironman canada's really been spoiled for talent for years and years.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Paula can regroup but it will take a bit and I bet in 12 months she will be back on the podium. I think today will drive her instead of detroying her. Kirsten is an amazing tallent and she seems to be on the right track now and has been able to step back and really look at what she has been doing wrong. I think in the next 24 months we will see her on the podium as well. Maybe even sooner but she has been injured for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing is, she doesnt neeed to be back in 12 months. It would almost be in her best interest to get away, rest up completely and then come back. So, I wouldnt even make the goal of being back in 12 months. I'd make the goal a 24-30 month rehab period, with her build up slowly into the next olympic qualifying period.

She's got the ability, she just needs to be healthy. So there shouldnt even be a time table on her return to the sport (especially with how young she still is). She's the perfect example of why ITU racing is so hard. The number one issue is simply being able to stay healthy enough to simply make the start line. If you cant do that, it wont matter how great a talent you are.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is that these amazingly talented woman and there have been a fair bit of them really at the ITU level are never going to live up to Simon's legacy and the powers that be need to realize this and treat them as not the next Simon but as the Paula or Kirsten or Lauren or Kathy.

The same going all the young guys coming up as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Canada a sporting federations funding is directly tied to results, especially olympic results. So without SQW producing results funding will be cut

Here is the video of Paula
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/...ologizes-canada.html
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read Sweetlands last blog she pretty much says she is taking time off the sport and kind of sounds like she is done with Tri or at least that fire is gone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
agreed - i don't feel like trican's ever had much of a comprehensive plan except to unleash simon for the odd big win and then cycle through a revolving cast of female elites, for years now. it's a shame, because from olympic to ironman canada's really been spoiled for talent for years and years.

-mike

Totally agree with you here. Canada has had huge depth on the Womens side of things for many years and TriCan manages to destroy each one trying to make the next SQW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/...dlay-devastated.html

She'll be back.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Aug 4, 12 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The complete backstory shouldn't - and hopefully won't - be made public. But the simple version is nothing new. Everyone's your friend when you're at the top, and then they all run the other way when things start to go wrong. There were plenty of people who were happy to capitalize and take credit for Paula's success but who totally absolved themselves of responsibility/accountability for her injuries and her struggles.

At the risk of venturing into Lavender Room territory, it's become standard practice in worldwide in various jobs. CEOs get massive bonuses when the companies they run succeed. But when things go badly? Oh, that was bad luck, and clearly the CEO shouldn't be held accountable. I'd have a lot less problem with massive CEO bonuses if they also had penalties for sucking at their jobs. Instead? Golden parachutes.

Let's just say, if Paula had finished first instead of last, there would have been a long list of people happy to claim credit. But those same people, not surprisingly, are nowhere to be found right now. Sadly, I am sure that Paula's story is hardly unique. I bet if you interviewed any Olympic athlete who had a disappointing finish, there'd be a reasonably good chance you'd hear something similar. Obviously not in every case. But I'm sure in many cases.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rapp and that is sort of what I thought happened. I am sure you have dealt with these people in the past directly or indirectly while training in Vic. Paula and I have something in common if what I saw in the profile on CTV about her and who she was hugging from previous race coverages is who I think it was. I wonder if that person was one of the ship jumpers that you mentioned. My experience with that person as a coach was not good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But if some of these folks were made public, might there be a chance of stopping this from happening to future kids?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the meaning of your post is that people will claim credit when going is good and run for cover when the going is bad, then shouldnt you be wanting the complete backstory to be made public?

Now, I'm a bit un-informed of the structure of Tri-Canada, not sure if the structure is very much 1 national federation coach for all the "national" athletes, or if each athlete is basically allowed the freedom to work with any coach they want to work with. Probaly a combination of the 2. But if it's a structure where it's very federation centric with 1 person or a small group of people having the power and say over the athletes (in terms of tranining), having the backstory out will only make people held accountable. That I'm not sure is a bad thing. Especially if it's all evolving around stupid federation politics.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Whitfield's Tweet - meaning? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I cannot seem to get in the US.

Quote Reply

Prev Next