Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
White Mountains Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen much in the way of reviews on this NH race in June. Is it a good course and well run?
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is decently run though fairly low-key. Pavement can be very rough in spots, VERY hilly bike course. Run course is up and down as well and the last half-mile is up, up, up. Swim is generally really cold, mid 50s, but really nice little lake and very easy swim to follow. It might be warmer this year because they have moved it a few weeks later, though last year even after an incredibly warm spring the water was still icy cold. Very long transition from the lake up to the bikes so it is best to stash something for your feet to get back up there, they have a spot to leave shoes/sandals.

I would do it again, but it is about the furthest thing from a PR course you can get, so keep that in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the olympic two years ago, it is a beautiful spot for a race, very hilly ride and run. The swim is cold because the elevation of that lake and also it is all mountain runoff all spring. Even in August the lake does not hit 70. It is a great race, super well run. Glad they moved it later in the June.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the new date for this race?

I just checked....bummer same day at Tupper Lake Half IM, Tremblant 70.3. Syracuse 70.3 is the weekend before. Rev3 Quassy is June 5th so at least that one is a bit removed in time. I've done a lot of riding and running in the Franconia Notch area. Should be a great event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avoid.
This is probably the only race that I have ever done that I would honestly never do ever again.
I did the race last year. The bike course is unsafe, borderline dangerous: first mile or so is downhill (steep) with massive frost heaves that run parallel with your tires (so you will get thrown if you catch one). The worst part is on the main road (route 302 i think) where it is a high traffic area with lots of cars and the shoulder of the road is completely eaten up/gravel, so you basically have to ride left of the solid white line (in traffic). Note: 1 racer was air lifted after being hit by a car.
The run was poorly marked and racers got lost. Yes, we should all know the course we are racing, but when the course involves running up and down and through various parking lots, you need more arrows/volunteers pointing the way. As soon as the race directors heard about people getting lost, they sent people/volunteers out to direct racers better.
The directors really tried to run a good race, and they are continuing to try to improve (ex. the move of the date to later in the summer), but until they change the bike course or close the road, I can't recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice: the half in the first year and the Olympic in the second. My experiences were both excellent. (I understand and respect other people's different experiences).
- The water was cold but I was always ok with a sleeveless wetsuit and the water was very clear.
- The first descent of the bike is downhill but wasn't that bad in my opinion. It's an open course but that wasn't a problem for me. Because there was a race going on it felt safer than a regular bike ride would be out the same roads, and was always early enough that the traffic was very light.
- The run was completely a closed course on the rec paths. Personally, I didn't find the run routes difficult to follow at all.
- The volunteers were some of the best I've experienced: they all seemed to actually understand racing, unlike the masses of volunteers at huge races where they just need tons of people.

I found it a fun race both times and a terrific value at less than half the cost of a WTC race. I did it as early season "prep" for Timberman and other races. I would recommend it and am thinking of doing it again this summer if the dates work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the riding is dangerous at all. I ride in that area a lot and it is highly frequented by cyclists. The route 3 climb is one of the best in NH, and it is a WM Fondo route. Certainly the first downhill is nothing like you would be able to experience if you were not from the area. There was plenty of warning about the road condition but if you stayed in the tire lanes it was no problem at all. There were plenty of surfaces to pass people where you could cut across the areas where there were cracks. I don't think I touched the brakes on the first downhill, and I have ridden it only 3-4 times. I had no issues at all on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have volunteered at WM the last couple of years; this year I will be racing it.

First and foremost: this is definitely not a course to go for a PR. What it is good for, however, is the scenery and the people - I am in Franconia a lot throughout the year (just about every weekend this time of year), and you would be hard-pressed to find a town with nicer folk. Lots of great places for lodging, from small motels to grand resorts to campgrounds, as well.

The swim is what it is: two loops around Echo Lake, and yes, it is some of the coldest waters around (wetsuit mandatory): it is the source of Cannon Mountain's snow making, and thus, receives all of the snow-melt once the temps start rising. It is about the cleanest, clearest water you will ever see, however. There is about a quarter of a mile run from the lake to T1, and it is all up-hill, so just be prepared.

I have not ridden the full course, but I am familiar with the roads it runs on. Like most of our roads in NH, they get pretty beat up from our winters. 18 (Profile Road) at the start is about the worst of it: steep descent and a bit rough, but really an average road for around here. 116 (Easton Road) is a great ride, lots of nice rollers along it, with a couple small climbs, and the pavement is good, but not a lot of shoulder. 112 and the climb isn't bad, again it has a better shoulder, but not much for a breakdown lane. The route out to 302 and back Route 3 I am not as familiar with, but those are state maintained highways and are generally better roads (but that is a gross over-generalization in NH, so do not take it as gospel).

The run route I am very familiar with: it utilizes all of the bike/snowmobile trails around Echo Lake and the Franconia Notch State Park, and most of it is paved. Nice and wide, a lot of shade, a bunch of rollers, and not a ton of elevation gain. The only true down-side that I see is that it is a 3-loop run. But, you have some good volunteers on the run course, and a lot of aide stations manned by the some amazing people! (Note: that is where we always are, and while I will not be at an aide station this year, my girlfriend and her kids will be once again. Say Hi and Thanks, cause they really enjoy it!)

The management has had some ups and downs, from what I have seen, but they are doing their very best to iron out the kinks, as this is a relatively new race (year #4). And they seem to genuinely care for the racers, not just collecting your fees, and have been committed to providing an enjoyable race for all participants.

As a side note: I have heard some rumors that there is supposed to be some road resurfacing this Spring along the bike course, but have NO confirmation of this info nor as to where on the course it may be taking place.

Bottom Line: If you're looking to challenge yourself a bit, and race a fun event, this is one that I would very much recommend. If, however, you are looking to PR at a Half, avoid it like the plague!

Hope this helps!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has more recent experience and updates on this race.
Now 5 years after this thread started I am curious to get general thoughts on the course, race day experience, management etc. etc.

I was signed up for TInman in Tupper lake, with that canceled I registered for White Mountains since it is the same weekend and still in the northeast at least.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is more recent tread from 2019 https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Tri_-_6/23_P6660033/

I did it as well, you can read my opinion there.

This year I'm registered for IMMT 70.3 on the same day, but if it's not happening, I'll to the White Mountains again. It's run by Millenium Running, they're able to execute events during pandemic
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has more recent experience and updates on this race.
Now 5 years after this thread started I am curious to get general thoughts on the course, race day experience, management etc. etc.

I was signed up for TInman in Tupper lake, with that canceled I registered for White Mountains since it is the same weekend and still in the northeast at least.
So not much has changed from my above post 5 years ago, except transition is all right in the Echo Lake parking lot.

3 Mile Hill was resurfaced a few years back, but just a top coat and judging by how rough it was last weekend... it ought to be lovely come race day! Haha! But, that's NH for ya!

The course will take a lot out of you: super cold water on the swim, about 3600' of gain, and a moderately hilly run (about 55' per mile, but it seems like it's all in that last half mile!).

Management is really good, they've gotten a lot of things figured out and truly do a very good job. Food is... meh but good to base out for the apres race beers!

There's more info in the other thread that got linked, but feel free to ask any specific questions and I'll answer what I can. I'll be there - one way or another...
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just registered for this for 2021 (Olympic Dist) - will be my 2nd race of the year after Harvest Tri in Wareham MA

Normally it conflicts with Cohasset Tri which I prefer to race for a couple reasons, but Cohasset was postponed to 2022

I noticed that the 2021 Olympic distance run course that is posted has been extended to be a proper 10km, as opposed to the 4.4 mi (7km) stated on signup (and what I assume was used in past years) Anyone have any insights into this?

Also curious about bike/wheel selection. I ran both my bikes through Bestbikesplit and it still favored the heavier tri bike vs the lightweight climbing bike by a couple minutes.
I have a couple different wheelsets and disc wheels to pick between so I'm curious what will help me get the best time but also not be terrible on the climb and descent portion. Bike is a P3.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Last edited by: adoucett: May 27, 21 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [adoucett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
Also curious about bike/wheel selection. I ran both my bikes through Bestbikesplit and it still favored the heavier tri bike vs the lightweight climbing bike by a couple minutes.

It has some climbs for sure, but the tri bike is definitely going to be faster.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
Just registered for this for 2021 (Olympic Dist) -

I noticed that the 2021 Olympic distance run course that is posted has been extended to be a proper 10km, as opposed to the 4.4 mi (7km) stated on signup (and what I assume was used in past years) Anyone have any insights into this?

I do: they (FNSP) are worried about trail useage, as last year was the busiest that they have ever been. The good news: it may be longer, but a bit easier, little less elevation gain but still will be a nice run. Except the finish... that's still gonna hurt!

adoucett wrote:

I have a couple different wheelsets and disc wheels to pick between so I'm curious what will help me get the best time but also not be terrible on the climb and descent portion. Bike is a P3.

The route out 116 is where the tri bike will really help. Still a little climbing (can't get away from it up there) but 116 has some great rollers that is one of my favorite routes period!

It'll be a little weird not coming up Rt. 3 at all this year, but that climb back up 3-Mile Hill will burn most legs worse than Rt. 3 ever thought of being able to! Millenium had been toying with changing the bike courses so that everyone could do the KOM on the same hill, and although I cannot find anything specific on it, it looks like they've been able to getthat done.

The only thing you'll really have to worry about as far as wheel choices go is how windy and from which direction it's blowing that day: I've had my front wheel just about blown out from under me on 3-Mile Hill on my road bike (stock Aelous rims), so can get a tad hairy. Also, the winter did the surface no favors; I'd recommend a pre-ride if possible (if I can finish up some things I'll be headed that way for a ride this weekend).

If you need any info - on the course, where to stay, where to eat, what else to do, etc. - feel free to ask!

Oh - and look me up come race day, I'll buy ya a beer!
- Jeff
Last edited by: jkstevens: May 27, 21 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing the half iron distance at White Mountain for the first time this year. Does the bike really have 4700 feet of gain like the map my ride gps file says? I'm looking forward to it, but sheesh that is hilly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, they changed it this year so we have to ride back UP that nasty hill we always rode straight down out of T1? Yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emzee wrote:
Wait, they changed it this year so we have to ride back UP that nasty hill we always rode straight down out of T1? Yikes.

Well, if it makes you feel any better... I tested that hill out for an Everesting attempt and decided it wasn’t steep enough. But it is one of the longer/steeper climbs around.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emzee wrote:
Sorta - you cut back off 116 up Wells Rd (which is a lot of fun! But... maybe not by that point...) and then up. But, every distance has to do it, should should be kinda fun...

Make sure you got water bottles locked in tight! I can't remember how many I picked up a few years ago when I had volunteered... gotta love NH roads! ...
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [tylerh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerh wrote:
I'm racing the half iron distance at White Mountain for the first time this year. Does the bike really have 4700 feet of gain like the map my ride gps file says? I'm looking forward to it, but sheesh that is hilly!
Looks to be 4300' bythe course map. Hard to say. I'd had the old course at 3600' but don't remember what they had it as.

With the half distance, I'm not familiar with the new loop, but it certainly looks like a killer! Sucks, as I think my bike fitness would be good for that course, but I can't run that far yet (bad ankle sprain over the winter). Maybe I'll try to ride it before the race and see how it is...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all this really insightful info, Jeff! If anything, I should be the one buying you a beer, given how helpful you are! But regardless happy to meet up with any ST users who happen to be around after the race.

I am going to practice doing some hill repeats on the full TT setup to get a bit more comfortable with longer and steeper climbs on that bike. Not overcooking it prior to the run will be the goal. Climbing is *typically* where I excel as a road cyclist, but most of my TT efforts so far have been on flat-ish courses.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm extra glad for this thread because honestly I had no idea that the course was completely changed. I've raced here a few times and thought I knew exactly what I was getting into, but apparently not! Aside from the swim it looks like almost an entirely different race. I didn't realize it was possible to make it that much more difficult but looks like that is exactly what is happening. Not that I don't ride hills all the time but this is going to be a tough one for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also glad I am on this forum as I too assumed it was the same course as before. . .yikes!

And to the person who may not want to run the full distance, may I point out that there is an aqua bike category? This old lady's knees have long given out, so this category allows me to still train and stay fit, but not need knee replacements!

Jeff--thank you for all the intel. I'll see you at check-in!

--Meg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up, the Olympic course is totally different too. Longer bike and run. The bike is 6 miles longer and the run is a full 10k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heads up all they changed the Olympic bike for a second time from the last post - this time its more of a figure 8 without the steep climb at the end, and it went back to 24 miles vs 28. Not sure why they are doing this. I was about to plan a pre-ride and I checked again and I am glad I did.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Triathlon [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Heads up all they changed the Olympic bike for a second time from the last post - this time its more of a figure 8 without the steep climb at the end, and it went back to 24 miles vs 28. Not sure why they are doing this. I was about to plan a pre-ride and I checked again and I am glad I did.

Hah! Thanks for the update, I had been getting (morbidly) excited for that epic grind to the finish but this might help out with the run a bit. Seems like a similar overall elevation gain on the final climb, just over a longer distance and less steep ascent. 4.5 miles at ~3.5% vs 2mi at 8%

I also noticed the run has also been shortened about a mile for the oly course.

Set this up on Veloviewer for anyone who wants a preview of the new route.

White Mountains 2021 Olympic Bike Route:
https://veloviewer.com/routes/2838459547876022694

Last edited by: adoucett: Jun 11, 21 8:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next