Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon
Quote | Reply
The second annual Whirlpool Steelhead Triathlon will take place on Sunday, August 1st, 2004 in Benton Harbor, Michigan. The website is up at www.stealheadtriathlon.com - The race will award 30 Ironman North American slots - 10 for Ironman Canada (2004) 10 for Ironman Wisconsin (2004) and 10 for Ironman Lake Placid (2005)
Quote Reply
Re: Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MY bad - the website is www.steelheadtriathlon.com. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a bad-ass triathlon. I did it last year and was very impressed. I couldn't believe it was their inaugural year. the bike course was scenic and challenging. If you are in the area, you should check it out. Great place to vacation at with the family as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon [thaitriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's funny. I was about to post about this race to see if anyone had done it and what they thought of it. I remember that Schu's International Tri of the 90's was held next door to Benton Harbor, in St. Joe and was the US Pro championships. The bike course was very fast, shaded and on the absolute smoothest blacktop road ever. But I never had a chance to do it as the race was cancelled the next year.

So I'm curious to hear if there are any similarities in the races. Obviously this one is a 1/2 IM but I wonder why this starts in Benton Harbor and not St. Joe. I don't know much about Benton Harbor, but always liked Silver Beach and St. Joseph. What was the bike and run course like and about where did it go? (I used to vacation there a lot with my family as a kid, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.) I'd love to race there.
Quote Reply
Re: Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon [bosco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bosco, I agree with you, it would be nice to have it at Silver Beach. I think Benton Harbor probably ponies up more money than St Joe would, just a guess though, plus Whirlpool I believe is headquartered in Benton Harbor.

As for the race, everything was well run except for the weather (it rained) and my two flats on my bike. Yep they were clinchers, but my only flats ever in a race out of 4 years. Great race though and nice town (St Joe that is).
Last edited by: Ann Arbor Jeff: Feb 25, 04 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if this race will fill up fast?

Jim S

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race does use parts of the old Shue's course - the section along the lake - The course maps are on the website -http://www.steeheadtriathlon.com - The race will take 1,200 participants. It should fill up by the first of July! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the info. I'm a little leary of Benton Harbor from what my Chicago/Stevensville relatives have told me about it and always thought St. Joe would be a great place for a swim start. So, that's why I asked. But either way, the Harbor Country region is a great area of a great state with a great race.

But no problems with roads? I always remember some of those roads full of a lot of bumpy patchwork and uneven pavement. They must avoid those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a pretty good race.

The swim that day was one of the most difficult I've done. The swim is in Lake Michigan and if you've never done a race in anything larger than a small inland lake, you are in for a shock. There were very strong currents that day.

The bike was nice, though some roads in the 1st half of the bike had been recently gravelized and were kinda rough. Otherwise it was smooth. Maybe a little hilly on the way out and one 'big' hill towards the end, not too serious though.

The run through BH was nice. Yeah, some parts of town were a little dilapidated, but there were very nice crowds at all the major intersections.

Overall I had a good experience at the race. It's on my calendar again this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries about Benton Harbor! The city is on the rebound and a great place for a race. Jean Klock Park is fantastic - one of the nicest beaches in the midwest. Some of the bike course goes through the "fruit" belt of southwest Michigan on two lane rural roads. Check out the courses at on the website at www.steelheadtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 This race rocks!!! I'm actually bummed that they moved it up to August this year, as it does not fit so well into my schedule. But, do not be scared off by the "Benton Harbor factor".. Yes, BH is a rough town. But the swim and the bike are spectacular. Jean Klock park is very nice! And nothing beats swimming in the big lake. The bike course travels through the spectacular west michigan countryside. Enough flat stretches, enough challenging hills. There's nothing wrong with the run cours either. It does wind its way through some tough neighborhoods, but aid stations are well stocked and frequent.. and the volunteers were top notch. I feel very lucky to live about 45 minutes east of the lake and to have this race nearby. I would encourage anyone to sign up. A long-time, successfull event like this could help BH get back on its feet..
Quote Reply
Re: Whirlpool Stealhead Triathlon [Charlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your comments Charlie! I grew up in St. Joseph/Benton Harbor and graduated from St. Joe High in 1975. (boy I'm getting old) When I contacted an high school friend, Mike Ryan, about bringing a triathlon to town, he jumped at the chance. Mike was the "best athlete" in our class and after graduating from Central Michigan moved back to St. Joe. He is the true hero of this race as he convinced the local sponsors to support the event. He brought together people from both Benton Harbor and St. Joseph to support the race. We look forward to an even better 2nd year. Hope to see you at the race. Z
Quote Reply