Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which wheels to get?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

My new bike is being built as we speak. I have the option of using the wheels they give me (velocity something or other) or I could get new wheels and pay for the difference. My friend has the Mavic Kyrium wheels and really like them because they're strong enough for training, yet light and aero enough for racing. But they only make that in 700 and I need 650 wheels. So my question is is there anything out there similar to the Kyrium for 650?
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheels to get? [socalrunner99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming that you're looking for dual purpose race/train wheel, Rolf Vector Comps aren't a bad wheel. My wife spec'd her P2K with these but I bought her Heds for x-mas so now she uses them only for training, but they coud be dual purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheels to get? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Rolf Vector Pro's on my Trek 5200, and I agree that they are a great training wheel. They are totally bombproof! However, despite their cool "aero" looks and reduced spoke count, they aren't a particularly aero wheel according to John Cobb's review. I don't know how they compare to other mid-profile (30-40mm profile) wheels, but they certainly aren't as aero as a deep section wheel. The other thing to consider about the Rolf's is that due to their high spoke tension they can be a little punishing for lighter riders. I'm 6'0", 160 lbs, and they feel fairly stiff to me. For a lighter rider they may be a little harsh. Great climbing wheel, though. All in all, not a bad racing wheel (I'll be racing on them until the budget permits a better set) but it's no Hed or Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheels to get? [socalrunner99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I'm looking for a dual purpose wheel for both training and racing. Has anybody heard about the VeloMax Ascent II? What do you think about them?
Quote Reply