Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which type of wheels?
Quote | Reply
When getting a pair of new wheels (Charbon in this case) all things being equal or very close in regard to rim depth and price. Should I go tubular, tubeless, or clincher?

By the way they’ll pretty much just be for racing or racing prep.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: Nov 8, 19 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: Which type of wheels? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
When getting a pair of new wheels (Charbon in this case) all things being equal or very close in regard to rim depth and price. Should I go tubular, tubeless, or clincher?

By the way they’ll pretty much just be for racing or racing prep.

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Which type of wheels? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubeless.

You can always use them as tubed clinchers if you have a change of heart.

Def not tubulars!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Which type of wheels? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubular rims are much lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: Which type of wheels? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, tubies are lighter (no rim hook), but they are net slower unless you are talking lightweight climbing wheels. The CRR penalty exceeds the weight benefit for the vast majority of courses, even hilly ones like Wildflower and Nice.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Which type of wheels? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost always weight is a non-factor, or at least not a major player; however, I think this tale of greater CRR is a poor myth propagation. Is anyone even testing tubies? They're more of a pain to test and the industry does seem to be hitting the tubeless hammer hard, but a good tubie ime doesn't give up much if anything to a good clincher. Even Zipp was able to have a faster tubular tire in the SL Speed at the time of its release.

ETA: Just went and checked BRR's site and the Vitt CS is 2.1w faster than it's tubular stable mate. So, 4.2 watts off the pace of the market leader for the pair in the lab? Not the dog it seems for being a tubular. That being said, I'm taking the 4.2 watts over a few grams of weight. Not to mention the ability to refresh tires much easier and cheaper. But CRR advantage of clincher over tubular is overblown, imo.

Titanflexr wrote:
Yes, tubies are lighter (no rim hook), but they are net slower unless you are talking lightweight climbing wheels. The CRR penalty exceeds the weight benefit for the vast majority of courses, even hilly ones like Wildflower and Nice.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 10, 19 6:35
Quote Reply