Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which strategy for buying a pre-owned bike
Quote | Reply
Hi
I'm currently in the process of buying a pre-owned Felt AR5 but I'm having a hard time finding it. So, I widened a bit my research and I came across different models from different years (Venge, Defy, Tarmac...). And then I started to have doubts about which model to target and my main question basically is : do old top-notch models better than recent (2016 or after) mid-range bikes ? In other words : is the 5000$ Sworks from 2011 still better than last year Tarmac Elite at 2000$ ?
Of course we can also compare the equipments but my question is regarding the frameset only.
I'm sure manufacturers have improved their process year after year so I guess each model in their range benefits from these improvements but there must be also a limit to which those improvements are deployed down the range (until a certain point in time maybe ? or not ?).
Thanks for your inputs !
Quote Reply
Re: Which strategy for buying a pre-owned bike [StarySky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I built a bike from used parts a year ago and did a lot of frame research... The gist is that each manufacturer has two or three levels of carbon they use on their frames. In theory, the higher the level, the better the bike. That changes less year-over-year. So, the actual carbon on a 2011 S-Works may not be appreciably different from the carbon on a 2017 S-Works. The other key variable is that bike generations have major design milestones that may be significantly better. But there may be key generations that are very good and the current models are not appreciably better. For example, IMHO the SL4 S-Works Tarmac is a peak, and the newer SL5 and SL6 generations are not massively better than the SL4. You have to research the generations yourself and make the determination of when a generation reaches a threshold that is good to you.

So, to answer you test question... the 2011 Tarmac is the SL3 generation. I am not a fan. It has a funky seat post bolt and other quirks. I would pick a 2016 Elite over that one. However, a 2012 Tarmac is an SL4, and I would choose a 2012 S-Works every time over a 2016 Elite with its lower grade of carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Which strategy for buying a pre-owned bike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your message. I agree I have to take into consideration the generation for each model, that's probably the key.
Quote Reply