Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which of these road bikes should I get?
Quote | Reply
For roughly the same price I can get either:

1) 2017 Specialized Venge VIAS Pro Disc udi2 (Slightly Used, near perfect condition) - $4,400

2) New Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Disc (Di2) - $4,050 (10% discount from my employer)

My main use is local group rides. A good amount of climbing, descending, and open flats.
I also participate in a time trial series, some local crits and will be doing 2-3 road races this year.

I like the look of both bikes, but the Venge is the nicer looking bike in my opinion. If it comes down to "Buy whichever looks better to you" I'll go with the Venge.

Both bikes are at the top of my budget, so I won't consider a higher spec'ed model of either bike.

Which would you go with, and why?

Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which one would fit you best?
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
Which one would fit you best?

I have a 2012 S-Works Venge currently which fits great, so the Venge Vias probably comes closer to what I have now geometry wise.
I'm unsure about the Canyon fit though - their website says I'm a SMALL based on my measurements which is surprising to me. I'm a 56cm on the Venge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon:
1. I have one (9.0) and it's my favorite bike - fast, light, responsive, comfortable right out of the box.
2. Really appreciate the aero bars - super comfortable especially if you want to TT on it.
3. If you can get it with e-tap, do it. So much easier to charge and no wires.
4. It's new and Canyon is very responsive (wanted to put a saddle on it with carbon rails and they were quick to provide an appropriate post)

I'm a Large (6'-1") and it fits like a glove.
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Canyon:
1. I have one (9.0) and it's my favorite bike - fast, light, responsive, comfortable right out of the box.
2. Really appreciate the aero bars - super comfortable especially if you want to TT on it.
3. If you can get it with e-tap, do it. So much easier to charge and no wires.
4. It's new and Canyon is very responsive (wanted to put a saddle on it with carbon rails and they were quick to provide an appropriate post)

I'm a Large (6'-1") and it fits like a glove.

I appreciate the post!
Are you leggy? What's your inseam? I'm curious because I hear mixed responses about the fit. I'm 5'-11" but have a long torso (nothing extreme) and shorter legs. I assumed I'd be a Medium or Large, but they're saying small on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get the venge:

1) from what i hear the aeroad doesn't actually test fast. Venge does

2) definitely buy whichever you think looks better, because that's probably more important than any performance difference

3) the venge has aero extensions that integrate with the road bars for tt'ing. That setup looks slick

4) i think canyon is kind of overrated as a whole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough call. Venge is probably a smidge faster. Depending on which wheels, they may be sluggish. It's also heavier. But may have better support, if you're in the USA.

The Aeroad has integrated bar/stem, very good wheels and its cranks may be too long for you - 175s on Large or greater.

I'd pick the Abroad.

Edit: Changed wheel comment on Aeroad. Thought it had Strikes. It has Aero 65s.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Sep 21, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally prefer the looks of the aeroroad, but I would rather have the Roval wheels (pretty sure 20.9 mm internal compared to the 17 mm internal of the Reynolds) and the internal cabling. Normally I don't care for internal cabling, but I'm a rim brake mechanical guy...so replacing cables and housings is a bitch. Routing of cables and housings for hydraulic and electronic I assume isn't an issue once the bike is assembled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty symmetrical: 32" inseam.

Canyon's USA hub is in San Diego so they're quick to respond (IME) so give them a shout.
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How can the Canyon be overrated since you 'heard' it doesn't test as fast?

$4k for a new bike equipped like that is an awesome deal - seems like an obvious choice but I'm biased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ually-fastest-326667

Most recent test I could find. Fairly minor difference, to be true. However, if I'm using aerodynamics as a criteria, I'd never buy from a company that doesn't release any data. If it was good, they'd be using it for marketing. If they don't have any, that tells me they couldn't make it look good no matter how they spin it. Not saying they don't have good value, but I don't see them to be as amazing as everyone talks about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wow, you have 2 good choices and can not go wrong.
I vote the Venge.

If your current bike is a 56 I would be concerned about mail ordering a small Canyon.
maybe check some Canyon forums or reviews and see if you can confirm the small size.

I am 5' 10.5" and bought the 2018 Tarmac pro (non-sworks) with no disc brakes in a 56 size.
My prior bike was a 2012 Venge pro (non-sworks) in a 54 size.
The size up was better and I can still drop the bar if desired.

I don't think weight difference between the 2 is an issue while riding.
Just handling and appearance if that helps get you motivated and out the door to ride.

If you test ride one or both that would be best, and they both are 2 of the latest, greatest aero road bikes.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
17 was the old Reynolds internal width. Website shows 19mm now. I'd like the 20.9 of the Rovals better, but I know 3 people with the next-to-the-top-of-the-line Rovals and they say the Rovals are sluggish.
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id get the more colorful one
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Id get the more colorful one

This made me laugh. My wife said the same thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I think the venge is dead sexy. If it were me, that would be my choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered warranty? I’ve heard specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames, but only if you’re the original owner, so if your slightly used Venge develops a crack in the frame, you’re our of luck. Don’t know what kind of warranty Canyon has. I mention this because a buddy in my club developed a crack in his used s-works tarmac and there was nothing he could do about it, and several folks in our club have had to make use of the warranty on their Trek frames for same, so it seems these issues are not uncommon, unless my club is an anomaly.
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just measure his current bike for stack and reach, look at the Aeroad's stack and reach and order the right size. It's not that hard!
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these road bikes should I get? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
17 was the old Reynolds internal width. Website shows 19mm now. I'd like the 20.9 of the Rovals better, but I know 3 people with the next-to-the-top-of-the-line Rovals and they say the Rovals are sluggish.

Those are the higher line "Aero XX DB" wheels that moved to 19mm internal, not the Strikes. Reynolds and Canyon's website both specify 17mm internal for the wheels that come on this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Canyon Aeroad and absolutely love it. It is the mechanical ultegra (disc brake) version. The bike is awesome to ride - very responsive, very stiff yet still comfortable. And I think it looks really badass and unique (it seems everyone in SoCal rides either Specialized or Cannondale...). I needed a slightly longer stem and liked the look of the original so called them up and ordered a longer stem which got shipped next day.

I have no complaints about the Strike wheels at all - they are totally solid. They handle well and look cool. There are complaints about people having difficulty taking the tire off the rim in case of a flat but I have found that to not be true at all. I am guessing that those having issues are simply not aware of the better way to take a tire off a tubeless rim. I've had a flat out on the road and it was just as easy as any other wheel to fix it; I had to replace the tire later (sidewall cut) and that was easy too. I can't make any comparison with the Specialized but have definitely been very happy so far with my Aeroad.
Quote Reply