Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra
Quote | Reply
Im really having a bit of a hard time choosing between these 2 rockets though im siding abit more into argon's side. Anyways, Id like to hear your thoughts :) feel free to share it!

Both 2017 Models with fairly the same price
E119 @ 4800$
P3 @ 4500$
So here's the catch:
If i choose to buy argon, for an additional 300$ im getting their top tier race bike though with it only being equipped with a mechanical ultegra ....
& if ive gone with the è, im getting their 2nd tier racebike but comes with an equipped ultegra di2
Which would u go for??? A top tier bike equipped with a mechanical groupset (ultegra) or a 2nd tier proven bike that comes with an equipped di2 (ultegra) thats 300$ cheaper??
Last edited by: _junj: Jan 31, 18 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 di2 Ultegra vs Argon 18 e119 mechanical ultegra [_junj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
easy - P3.

non-proprietary components FTW...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 di2 Ultegra vs Argon 18 e119 mechanical ultegra [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your opinion!

Cervelo- 1
Argon- 0
Last edited by: _junj: Jan 31, 18 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 di2 Ultegra vs Argon 18 e119 mechanical ultegra [_junj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P3 Di2 100%
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [_junj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me it's a no brainer for the Argon. Di2 is nice but it won't make you faster. The Argon is undoubtedly a faster bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what i thought :) thanks!

Cervelo- 2
Argon- 1
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gd28 wrote:
To me it's a no brainer for the Argon. Di2 is nice but it won't make you faster. The Argon is undoubtedly a faster bike.

undoubtedly???

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 di2 Ultegra vs Argon 18 e119 mechanical ultegra [gesekee19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Cervelo- 2
Argon- 1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with careful consideration of bikes with high proprietary part content. But, the critical factor there is evaluating those parts compared to alternative bikes and how they stack up against high-end parts you might consider as an alternative.

On paper, Argon markets the 119 as a bike as fast or faster than a P5. So, it has speed out of the box. By contrast, a P3 would need a new cockpit, new fork, and new brakes to get near a P5, but it won’t be faster at any yaw.

The Argon has a proprietary cockpit, but if that cockpit accommodates your fit, is fast, and is decent to trave with, being proprietary may not be a problem.

It also has proprietary brake. If those stop well and can fit wide wheels you may want in the future, then that may not be a negative either.

It would probably cost you about $1K to upgrade the Argon to new Ultegra Di2.

The Argon is likely faster out of the box. You can upgrade the Argon to match P3’s shifting. You may not be able to upgrade the P3 to match Argon’s speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 di2 Ultegra vs Argon 18 e119 mechanical ultegra [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved that last paragraph, very well said! Thanks you!
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [_junj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the hidden brakes and the tilt in the extensions and would choose this over the P3.

Ultegra DI2 you can get a decent deal used nowadays... let's be honest, once you buy the bike you still keep spending money on it anyways lol

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about $5k and get a Canyon Speedmax for $5k and get full carbon wheels and di2 and also possibly not having to pay sales tax depending on your state.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-8-0-di2

_junj wrote:
Im really having a bit of a hard time choosing between these 2 rockets though im siding abit more into argon's side. Anyways, Id like to hear your thoughts :) feel free to share it!

E119 @ 4800$
P3 @ 4500$
So here's the catch:
If i choose to buy argon, for an additional 300$ im getting their top tier race bike though with it only being equipped with a mechanical ultegra ....
& if ive gone with the è, im getting their 2nd tier racebike but comes with an equipped ultegra di2
Which would u go for??? A top tier bike equipped with a mechanical groupset (ultegra) or a 2nd tier proven bike that comes with an equipped di2 (ultegra) thats 300$ cheaper??

Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that hunger for an uphrade never ends! Haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the E119 is a much nicer looking bike but having only a 3 year warranty would be a deal breaker. Plus overall performance / cost ratio is better for the cervelo. Hence, I'd go for the P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally have the Argon e119tri+ with Ultegra Di2. I had a P3 mechanical before this. I love the ability (and ease) to adjust the cockpit of the Argon. I fly with it several times a year and it's very easy to disassemble and reassemble. (I never flew with my P3, so I'm unsure of how difficult/easy that may be.)

I personally fit better on the Argon that I did on my P3 so it is more comfortable to me

I would say that Di2 is a luxury that is very well worth the extra money. I love my Di2 and will never go back to mechanical again. That being said, a previous poster did note that once you purchase the bike, you can always upgrade to Di2 at a later time if you choose to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ditto the Canyon comment. That is likelier faster out-of-the-box than both (due to the wheels). It lacks almost nothing. You might never feel the need to spend an upgrade dime on a Canyon, except maybe a faster front brake. The other two would need thousands of upgrade dollars to match the Canyon.

Not to keep piling on, but the Premier Tactical Arrow is also a great value and in your current price range. https://www.premierbike.com/...arrow-triathlon-bike
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 31, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that then
totally slipped off my mind! haha im considering it again!! Great idea of yours, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said! Thanks alot for your opinion, God bless :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
_junj wrote:

E119 @ 4800$
P3 @ 4500$
So here's the catch:

Have you ridden either one? Have you had a fit and confirm that both fit your measurements?
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly own a p3 mechanical but its a size larger than my fit, still ridable though but not the perfect ride we'd all expect so ive considered selling it & buying either a new p3 di2 :)) , the argon e119 or a canyon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
_junj wrote:
I honestly own a p3 mechanical but its a size larger than my fit, still ridable though but not the perfect ride we'd all expect so ive considered selling it & buying either a new p3 di2 :)) , the argon e119 or a canyon

why is it too big?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Which i go for? Argon 18's e119 mechanical ultegra or cervelo's p3 di2 ultegra [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sold me a 51 instead of 48 (thanks to
douchebag Local Bike Shop) causing me alot of hassle right now, hopefully i can sell my 8 month old P3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The choice is EASY:

Assuming both fit, which do you like better? Both are great bikes, and it is very easy to upgrade to a di2 groupset down the road. Ultegra di2 ain't that expensive. Just get the one you like to look at more.

But.......Argon. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you SURE? Perhaps a long and low fit from a competent independent bike fitter will make the bike fit right.

_junj wrote:
Sold me a 51 instead of 48 (thanks to
douchebag Local Bike Shop) causing me alot of hassle right now, hopefully i can sell my 8 month old P3

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s what I would do... I would make a little table with the four bikes (Argon, Cervelo, Canyon, Premier) and add up the likely future costs it would take to get each bike from out-of-the-box to your likely optimized future state. For example, suppose for each you would want a max aero cockpit, BTA, storage, brakes, wheels (60/90, for example), and shifting.

The Cervelo would need upgrades for everything except shifting.
The Argon would need shifting, wheels, bento storage, rear storage, and BTA
The Premier would need a rear wheel, bento storage, and BTA
Canyon would need rear storage and BTA

Then add comments for the intangibles about each (like likely fastest, best looking to you, favorite brand, local support, completeness vs. upgrade hassle, availability, etc.)

Once upgraded, all those four will probably approach performance parity, but you will likely discover massive total cost differences.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 31, 18 8:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next