Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which helmet should I buy
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

this year I am going to start at my first Ironman race. Since my only helmet is a Poc octal, I'd like to buy a more aerodynamic modle.
Ventilation will be an issue for me, so maybe the real aero-helmets are not the right choice for me. Also the bike fitter mentioned, that for my position a helmet like a Kask bambino would be a better option than a helmet with a long tail.
Now I am thinking about buying a giro vanquish or a poc ventral.
I know, this is very subjective, but how big is the aerodynamic advantage over my poc octal of these helmets? And how much faster would a real aero helmet probably be?

My goal for the race is not a Kona Qualification, but I also don't want to waste time...
My FTP is at 310W right now and my bike is a Canyon Speedmax with 60/80mm DT Swiss wheels (if that is important for context).

Thanks a lot for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [Amnesty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bambino isn't going to give you good ventilation, especially with the shield on. The vanquish would be better in that respect if you want to stick with an aero road style. While not the best areo helmet available, given your concern for ventilation plus the suggestion of your fitter (FWIW) to go with a short tail, the Rudy Wingspan might be your ticket. It's a true aero helmet and you can run the front vent completely open.
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.
I agree with your thinking about the Bambino. It is not an option for me.
Thanks for the offer of the Wingspan.
Unfortunately I do not like the design 🙃.

Is there an estimation how big the difference between the aero road helmets and the TT aero helmets is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a LG P-09. I tend to 'run hot'. Same FTP as you, IM power this years was 230watts. Wore in training at 28degrees heat without worry (plug out using visor). Didn't feel significantly hotter than my normal very well vented (non aero) road helmet.

Fit isn't great for me to be fair as I've a very small radius / tall head and so it doesn't come as low as I'd like and sits slightly above my ears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will vary helmet to helmet but the Giro own estimate time difference for an Aerohead over a Vanquish is 60 seconds over an Ironman is my understanding so very minimal. I own a Vanquish to train and do hot races in. I have trialled a few aero helmets and it may not help if you live in the US is the MET Drone. It has a large volume of air around the face if you run the visor as I do and it is fine for warm IM races. My next helmet will most likely be a MET codatronca. Other than that of all the other visor included aero helmets I trialled over the years I found only the Wing 57, Catlike Rapid Tri or the Lazer Wasp with the visor open were cool enough that I personally would wear in a warmish Ironman.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Mar 6, 19 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesty wrote:
Hey there,

this year I am going to start at my first Ironman race. Since my only helmet is a Poc octal, I'd like to buy a more aerodynamic modle.
Ventilation will be an issue for me, so maybe the real aero-helmets are not the right choice for me. Also the bike fitter mentioned, that for my position a helmet like a Kask bambino would be a better option than a helmet with a long tail.
Now I am thinking about buying a giro vanquish or a poc ventral.
I know, this is very subjective, but how big is the aerodynamic advantage over my poc octal of these helmets? And how much faster would a real aero helmet probably be?

My goal for the race is not a Kona Qualification, but I also don't want to waste time...
My FTP is at 310W right now and my bike is a Canyon Speedmax with 60/80mm DT Swiss wheels (if that is important for context).

Thanks a lot for your help!

I can't help but to recommend the Giro Aerohead. Without going to the wind tunnel, it is your best bet at being fast. Like any aero helmet it has a perceived aspect by some of being hot but it has been shown that it doesn't make a difference to your actual core temperature.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from the Rudy aero turd.
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wing 57 is the turd. The Wingspan is okay - not the best of currently available aeto helmets, better than road helmets, but good for ventilation if that is a concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help!
Since the difference between the aero road helmets and the TT ones, I think I'll try the Vanquish and Evade2 and see which ones feels better.
That should give me an enough advantage over my standard road helmet without sacrificing too much comfort and cooling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I was able to help...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could also consider the Scott Cadence Plus. Very open helmet that doesn't overheat, supposedly aero, etc. FWIW, I have the Cadence Plus and a Giro Aerohead and I can say that the Aerohead doesn't seem to get hot even in Florida summers...

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro Vanquish will meet your needs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the Bontrager Ballista, but I am not sure how that compares to the others. It has pretty decent ventilation for an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not entirely certain that road lids are even close to their aero counterparts, marketing notwithstanding. I'd love to see the data on this because my anecdotal evidence seems to present a different scenario. I'm with Thomas on the cooling and his recommendation for the Aerohead. It's uncanny how many people this helmet works well for. DesertDude and I spent a bit of time chatting about that during our "TunnelTalk" live. P-09 and the POC Cerebel are two others that do well on a range of folks. The latter is a great lid with an amazing FOV for those that like to ride with a low head position.

As soon as the weather warms a bit I plan on posting up some testing with regards to position and maybe i'll take on this whole aero road lid vs proper aero lid. The only issue I see is that my chosen position seems to be very tolerant to different helmet designs.

Also, while a hot head might not physically impact core temps and or performance directly, having a miserably hot head isn't going to make for a great ride.....that is, unless you're one mentally tough SOB.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an aerohead and ride head down a lot .... I found it to be a heavy bastard! My
Neck was aching after a 70.3.... i now have a poc and kask mistral... really liking the latter
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mistral intrigues me, but I am done chasing lids at the moment.....

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I'm not entirely certain that road lids are even close to their aero counterparts, marketing notwithstanding. I'd love to see the data on this because my anecdotal evidence seems to present a different scenario.

On this site is a table with some data that confirms the around 60s difference between the Vanquish and the Aerohead:

https://aerogeeks.com/...anquish-mips-review/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's some awesome marketing there. I should probably amend my statement to "I'd love to see the clear and or independent data on this". Just an FYI, That is Giro's data. It was collected over multiple days and times from their own tunnel. Everything was avg'd together from all the runs and it seems it was only a styrofoam head with lid. This is like doing bike only testing. It really doesn't give an accurate picture. Shoot, once you stick it in a system the vanquish might be faster, but we don't know.

Based off their marketing video it seems Jim might have done some testing for Giro. Maybe he might speak to the advantage?

Amnesty wrote:
LAI wrote:
I'm not entirely certain that road lids are even close to their aero counterparts, marketing notwithstanding. I'd love to see the data on this because my anecdotal evidence seems to present a different scenario.

On this site is a table with some data that confirms the around 60s difference between the Vanquish and the Aerohead:

https://aerogeeks.com/...anquish-mips-review/

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting! Can't wait to see the results of your testing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll echo that the vanquish is only a theoretical one minute slower than the Aerohead. Also the Aerohead is one of if not THE top helmet on the market. So me... when my current lid combo runs it’s cours after next year I’ll probably go with a Giro Vanquish. For slow guys that aren’t on the Kona bubble I feel like the distance between aero road and TT has closed enough to where it’s practically within the margin of error.

Btw current combo is I picked up a very cheap Synth on clearance and what was seemingly the last brand new medium A2 in the world. Also very cheap. But if I crash out the A2, or when I hit that 3-5 year range I’ll probably go as above. And by then there will likely be another aero road and the gap between the 2 will likely be even smaller.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
It will vary helmet to helmet but the Giro own estimate time difference for an Aerohead over a Vanquish is 60 seconds over an Ironman is my understanding so very minimal. I own a Vanquish to train and do hot races in. I have trialled a few aero helmets and it may not help if you live in the US is the MET Drone. It has a large volume of air around the face if you run the visor as I do and it is fine for warm IM races. My next helmet will most likely be a MET codatronca. Other than that of all the other visor included aero helmets I trialled over the years I found only the Wing 57, Catlike Rapid Tri or the Lazer Wasp with the visor open were cool enough that I personally would wear in a warmish Ironman.

Have a Vanquish, but found a good deal on the Aerohead MIPS. Where did you find the data on time savings? If only 60 seconds in an IM....

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scroll up in this thread...
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet should I buy [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look at this page regarding koroyd shock absorption and listen to the presentation on the page

https://koroyd.com/...t-safety-initiative/

then look at the smith helmets

https://www.smithoptics.com/...3755155/sizeVariants

I found this interesting enough to buy one

I looked at the latest released test comparisons. They didn't test a Smith with mips, only without. I think that makes the star rating rather suspect, especially with their endorsement of mips.

https://www.iihs.org/...t-better-than-others
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at a few of the top helmets recommended here or on other helmet showdowns and then go to the store and try them all on.

I was set on the Bontrager ballista/scott cadence at first for my needs and ended up with the Specialized Evade because it was the only one that was the most comfortable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next