Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which fast tires are easiest to install?
Quote | Reply
I have a difficult time installing Conti GP 4000s II tires. Some wheelsets are less difficult than others, and I always get them on eventually, but man it's frustrating. Have watched a number of videos, read tips here and else where online, have a bead jack, and have gotten better at it, but it's still a hard tire to install (for me). Have done other tires with much less difficulty, but nothing that would be considered a competitive tire.

Which tires comparable with the GP 4000s II are easier, or the easiest, to install?

For context, I primarily race sprints and sometimes podium in AG, but likely will never be in contention for an OA win. Prefer to use a race worthy tire, but don't mind exchanging a small aero or rolling resistance penalty... e.g. the seconds lost/gained due to choice between comparably performing tires won't make or break my day.

Basically looking for the best combination of speed/puncture protection/installation ease/value.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [Jimmw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be doing something wrong. I've always found Conti tires to be easy. Michelin Comps on the other hand...

Tubeless-ready rim? What rim strip?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP4000S2 shouldn’t be difficult to install. Make sure you push the bead towards the center of the rim before trying to push the last inch or so of tire over the rim.

Having said that, specialized turbo cottons are pretty easy to install and faster than the GP4000S2.

Checkout Tom’s website for his test results on various tires

http://www.bikeblather.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto others. GP4K2 tires are pretty easy to install. What wheels are you installing them on? For example, HED's Plus rims are a beast with all tires unless you follow their instructions. Then, they are pretty easy too.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst rim for me is tubeless ready - Giant P-SLR1. Don't remember the rim strip off the top of my head.

Funny you say that about the Michelin Comps, I have used those in the past (on same wheel) and it went much smoother. Always thought they were considered inferior to the 4000s II, which is why I stopped using the Michelins.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen other threads on here with people complaining about installing them, didn't think I was the only person with this experience. Hmmm. Did learn to push the bead to the center, and it helps, but still not "easy".

Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmw wrote:
The worst rim for me is tubeless ready - Giant P-SLR1. Don't remember the rim strip off the top of my head.

Funny you say that about the Michelin Comps, I have used those in the past (on same wheel) and it went much smoother. Always thought they were considered inferior to the 4000s II, which is why I stopped using the Michelins.

I can confirm as an owner of some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had trouble installing the conti's also.

I bought the crank brothers speedier tire lever and makes it super easy: https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

It's larger than a regular tire lever, but still small enough to easily fit in my saddle bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmw wrote:
Funny you say that about the Michelin Comps

The new ones. Michelin Power Competition. Faster than GP4000, and really tight beads. Everything is tight on the Pacenti SL23 V1 however.

A double layer of Stan's is what I use on rims. I don't think you can get anything thinner that works well.

So long as you can do the initial install with a Bead Jack, and you carry good levers on rides, I wouldn't worry about it being tight. If you have a blowout it's really nice if the tire stays on the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, I was referring to the older Pro 4 comps.

Thanks, appreciate the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized S Works Turbo are pretty fast and install quite easily on Flo 60 alu rims but no trouble installing GP4000 IIs either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think personally it's more of a rim issue than a tire issue. I have probably 15 Conti tires laying around and on most rims they are what I would consider normal to install and remove. I do have one set of Lightbike rims (Chinese Branded) that are more difficult with tires and I had a set of Token wheels in the past that were impossible with tires. I just received a set of tubeless DT Swiss PRC 1400's and with the DT rim strip the Conti's are a bit more difficult to mount and remove but not impossible. I'm sure if I removed the DT rim strip and used 2 layers of Stans tape it would be slightly easier as I'd guess 2 layers of Stans is thinner than the DT tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmw wrote:
I've seen other threads on here with people complaining about installing them, didn't think I was the only person with this experience. Hmmm. Did learn to push the bead to the center, and it helps, but still not "easy".

Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out.

Pushing the bead to the center is just the first step. Once the bead is in the center, then you sort of have to massage the tire to remove any "slack" starting from the opposite end of the rim that you're trying to finish pushing the bead over. The extra 2-3 mm of slack that you can pull out makes all the difference in the world from easily popping the last portion of the bead easily with your thumbs to cursing over using levers and possibly pinching the tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My own experience is that rims make more of a difference than tires. My Zipp 404 NSWs are super easy to mount tires to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized turbo cotton

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had problems with Conti Force/Attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa G+. These are the tan wall tires that aren't tubeless. The pair I have are so loose they almost fall off the rim. Actually had one massive blowout with a latex tube. I had been using the wheel for 3 weeks with no problems and then it just blew. Shredded the tube and knocked the tire off the bead, but they install easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only one tire review. this smells like a biased writing.

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [go.dog.go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take another look at his website. Pull the drop down and select the tire crr test. A treasure trove of data that allowed him to post such a strong endorsement of the Corsa.

Tom does all this on his own without sponsorship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In my recent test with various Conti and Vittoria tires. The Vittoria CS Pista was by far the easiest tire to install.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true. I love installing my Conti 4000s on my 404s just as much as i enjoy bacon.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmw wrote:
I have a difficult time installing Conti GP 4000s II tires. Some wheelsets are less difficult than others,
==========================================================================================
after a lot of years with all sorts of wheels and tires i've ended up where this quote is: it sort of depends upon the tire and wheel. my current tires are what you have and they're hard to get on and off my zipps. i had the same tires with 650 wheels and a different model of zipps and it was easy. i always have 3 tire levers in my tube kit because my trust level is just above zero.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s likely the rim tape.
Particularly if it’s a tubeless ready rim.
Try changing your rim tape for tubeless tape, 2 passes and almost every tyre will slide on.
You may not think a mm or so on tape would make a difference but it does!
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll change the tape next time I have the tires off.

Appreciate everyone else's feedback/suggestions as well
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah, I've been carrying 3 levers as well. I'm seeing a common theme about it depending on the wheel/tire combo. And rim tape. A lot of tips and tire suggestions to consider here.

Again, appreciate all the feedback
Quote Reply

Prev Next