Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM?
Quote | Reply
For those of you who utilize a Bike computer for the bike leg of full IM, which data screens are you using? I have a Garmin Edge 520, and it can have up to 5 screens (Without flipping through different screens), and so I was trying to think about which screens to use for training and full IM. My thoughts are the following with reasoning also
  • Average Speed (This seems to make more sense to me than total average power. When it comes down to it, we are all trying to hit a realistic goal for the bike time, which you can easily find what the average pace you will need to sustain this. One drawback I can see with this, is, for example, the course has elevation gain in the first 50% of the race, and maybe elevation loss in the 2nd half. Therefore you could not peg an average speed until the very end unless you plan out the course splits with respect to grade beforehand)
  • 3 Second Power (Should be pretty self explanatory. Will help a lot with managing power on long slow climbs and descents. As well as passing, etc)
  • Overall Miles (This one I could be swayed on. In theory you will have some course markers to let you know where you are at, but my logic is that it will help a lot for timing nutrition and hydration, as well as the "How much more of this shit is there" effect)
  • Heartrate (Figured this would be a good metric to keep active. In reality, you should be pretty in check with RPE, but I like being able to know HR, and I will be wearing it for the run. So might as well?)
  • Cadence (This one is very helpful for me. I like to throw in about 5 more rpm on hills usually, and subtract 5 on descents. But again, for a very experienced rider (Not necessarily me) they pretty much know their cadence without looking.

What does everyone else use? Interested to know other's thoughts.

- Jordan

My Strava
Last edited by: Masnart: Nov 4, 19 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would swap average speed (which I think is pretty useless), with elapsed time so you can monitor your food and fluid intake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screen 1: distance, time, speed, power, hr (3sec power is a good one)
Screen 2: avg speed, avg power, avg hr, avg cadence
Screen 3: lap speed, lap power, lap hr, lap cadence (I use 5 mile laps for an IM)
Screen 4: temp, ft climbed, time of day, elevation

I mostly stay in screen 1. After a lap I might toggle to 2 and 3 and then back to 1

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it’s hilly, i’ll put NP in there as well

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it’s 3s Power, Speed, Distance, Time (duration). HR if running a HRM.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd add in kilojoules.

Something like AP, R2 or R3 power, time, distance, kJ

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to have normalized lap power on there, just to keep an eye on pacing.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 6 fields on my main screen. I have the same screen for racing and training inside and outside, so I can quickly intake data at a glance without thinking.
  1. Timer
  2. Distance
  3. Speed
  4. 3s Power
  5. Cadence
  6. Heart Rate

In training I typically look at everything evenly. In a race, I generally only look at HR and Distance. I use Distance to plan my hydration & nutrition and replenishment at the aid stations.

I highly recommend the one screen for all cycling activities. I used to have a different race screen, but then I realized I was always looking and then thinking about where my key numbers were positioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me

NP (or IF)
10s Power
Ride time
Ride distance

I like to do the math on AVG speed using time and distance as Mental math seems to help me break up the time.

Time alert every 20 min
distance alert every 11.2 miles (I dont know why I do that one, but again I think it has to do with doing mental math)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one screen with overall metrics (distance, avg speed, NP, time, etc), but my main screen only has three values (3s power, Lap NP, Cadence). I've found that watching the time and distance tick off is really a mental drain. Just seeing power keeps me focused. I have alerts every 15 minutes for nutrition and then I'll monitor HR on my watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add to this list as well, I am an IM newbie but done some 70.3's.
I have %FTP at the top next to 3S power. I find riding to %FTP easier than trying to always remember what power I am targeting.
My main screen is pretty full but I find it easy to glance at %FTP, I also include speed, HR, cadence, timer, distance and average speed.
At the very bottom I display lap NP and just recently added TSS. I am working towards this magic number of 285 TSS for a bike split which for me should hopefully mean my time in minutes is always just above my TSS (aiming for a 300 min bike split). In training I constantly exceed this TSS value on long 4.5-6 hour rides, so I am trying to dial in my TSS to what others considered an optimal TSS for a good run off the bike.
I prefer to have one overly full screen with the key numbers at the top rather than multiple screens to scroll through, just find it fiddly trying to scroll all the time.
I have a lap alert every 5 km which displays average speed and lap normalised power and a nutrition alert every 30 mins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have NP and AVG power at the top. I think I have avg speed, total time, cadence, HR, 10s time (probably should switch this to 3s).

Mostly NP and avg power are what I focus on. I glance at HR to make sure there are no wild numbers there.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Screen 1: distance, time, speed, power, hr (3sec power is a good one)
Screen 2: avg speed, avg power, avg hr, avg cadence
Screen 3: lap speed, lap power, lap hr, lap cadence (I use 5 mile laps for an IM)
Screen 4: temp, ft climbed, time of day, elevation

I mostly stay in screen 1. After a lap I might toggle to 2 and 3 and then back to 1

Yeah this is pretty good and what I have more or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i try to keep it simple, 1 screen with the following

• 3 sec power
  • overall NP
  • Lap NP
  • HR
  • time
  • distance

for Oceanside 70.3, i'll have a second screen with speed since there's a section with speed limit.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
For me

NP (or IF)
10s Power
Ride time
Ride distance

I like to do the math on AVG speed using time and distance as Mental math seems to help me break up the time.

Time alert every 20 min
distance alert every 11.2 miles (I dont know why I do that one, but again I think it has to do with doing mental math)

What device do you use for the 20 min and 11.2 mile alerts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30s power
3s power
lap power (10km laps)
HR

2nd screen
time
distance
NP or KJs are nice but if you are monitoring your laps you can do that in your head

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past I used my watch for the time alert and my edge for distance alert. I have not tried to see if you can set up a time and distance alert at the same time, but will do so tonight.
https://www8.garmin.com/...26-9AFC22836DFE.html
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3s Power, a timer to track nutrition, and cadence. Nothing else matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:

Not sure if you meant to reply to me but for IM other things besides 3s power matter

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently added a IQ app called race predictor. Punch in the distance and it predicts your split Based on average speed. Before you freak out, it is not used for pacing or anything but more so to fulfill curiosity. Otherwise it’s NP, HR, Avg Speed, current speed, distance, avg HR, lap time. Overkill I get it ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

Not sure if you meant to reply to me but for IM other things besides 3s power matter

I apologize, I didn’t mean to reply specifically to you.

That’s all I use. I try to not over analyze & I ride, run and swim at the pointy end of a very competitive age group.

Doesn’t Keinle race without a powermeter? Sometimes you just have to go out there, throw the bullshit distractions out the window, and just race. One extra field or screen on your garmin is not going to make the difference between a PR, a podium spot, or KQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Data Screens on Bike computer for full IM? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

That’s all I use. I try to not over analyze & I ride, run and swim at the pointy end of a very competitive age group.

Doesn’t Keinle race without a powermeter? Sometimes you just have to go out there, throw the bullshit distractions out the window, and just race. One extra field or screen on your garmin is not going to make the difference between a PR, a podium spot, or KQ.

I agree, though without the three appeals to authority and the one confirmation bias reference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the usual data fields already mentioned, I like to use the Best Best Split Target Power field as an additional field displayed for long course races. Depending on the course elevation profile, it's sometimes difficult or impossible to remember what my power plan is for each segment of the course. The BBS Target field is great, because it beeps at me and displays the target power for that segment.

By default, the number of power segments in the BBS plan is too large for my liking. I don't like my head unit beeping at me to change my power every time I ride up a small rolling hill. I usually reduce the total number of power plan segments down to between 25 or 50...depending on the profile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

I agree, though without the three appeals to authority and the one confirmation bias reference.

And I agree that your retort reinforces the insufferable environment that this forum persistently fosters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

And I agree that your retort reinforces the insufferable environment that this forum persistently fosters.

Good day sir

Quote Reply

Prev Next