Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Cellular Sim Card do you use for Karoo2 in US, Los Angeles or Socal?
Quote | Reply
Howdy fellow members,

Karoo 2 doesn't work with just a Data Sim Card.... it needs a Cellular Sim Card with a plan or maybe prepaid I'm not sure.
Wanted to know which affordable & technically reliable solution Slowtwitch members found for themselves in US but more like Socal or Los Angeles where I mostly ride.
Thanks for sharing any tips
Cheers
F
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cellular Sim Card do you use for Karoo2 in US, Los Angeles or Socal? [trackedfred26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, why do you want to use a SIM card? Asking because I recently bought a Karoo 2 and not sure what functionality the SIM card would add.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cellular Sim Card do you use for Karoo2 in US, Los Angeles or Socal? [trackedfred26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackedfred26 wrote:
Howdy fellow members,

Karoo 2 doesn't work with just a Data Sim Card.... it needs a Cellular Sim Card with a plan or maybe prepaid I'm not sure.
Wanted to know which affordable & technically reliable solution Slowtwitch members found for themselves in US but more like Socal or Los Angeles where I mostly ride.
Thanks for sharing any tips
Cheers
F

It has something to do with the sim, it is related to the plan activated on that sim. The Karoo not working with a data only plan likely has more to do with the carrier and not the device. Telco's only want "non-phone" devices using data only plans/sims. If they don't know what a device is they are going to default to it being a phone and require a phone plan. I'll guess that the carriers have no idea what a Karoo is and it isn't whitelisted as a "data only" device (like a car or tablet would be.) It's possible that some carriers to recognize it. You could go fight with a carrier's customer service department to get it added as a data only device... but good luck with that.

Quote | Reply
Indeed I agree... curiosity doesn't kill a cat.

Just want to eliminate the headache of using my smartphone on the side of the road, want to condense functions on my handlebar.
I do what I call Urban touring cycling in & around city's.... Los Angeles, Paris, Tokyo, London, Chicago.... on nomadic trips of 5 to 20 days... area's to aera's, hotel's to hotel's.
Some kind of Triathlon's of discovery.

I among other things make maps with modern architecture POI.
I need the Sim to make it simple if for exemple I look for an hotel of anything unexpected requiring a rerouting.

Also I paid for that freak in function.... I want to use it..
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cellular Sim Card do you use for Karoo2 in US, Los Angeles or Socal? [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use a Karoo 2?

Okay wait have to go... barely had time to thoroughly read your post. I'll be back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the karoo2 website:

“Cellular - GSM (2G, 3G, 4G band coverage) 4G: Bands 2, 3, 5, 7;
3G: Bands 2, 5;
2G: EGSM900, DCS1800
Global 3G and LTE cellular band coverage available using a SIM card (SIM card not included)”

Here is a website that explains the bands used by US carriers
https://www.whistleout.com/...requencies-explained
Note that this website states that your device must be compatible with a carrier’s main band (denoted by an asterisk) to work — it looks like the only carrier that would work is T-mobile (on band 2). Although this advice is for phones - not sure if that is also true for the Karoo.
Quote Reply